Notices

Old 24 Jan 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Following
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Food

I’ve been thinking about food. Mainly because I’m hungry but also because I’m thinking about which TS meals we’ll definitely keep.

We have $300 in gift cards that I’d like to use for any TS meals we fancy. Having checked our room bill from last year a TS costs us roughly $80 having either a starter or dessert and including tip so $300 would give us around 4 TS.

Yak & Yeti is a must do, maybe even twice. This cost us around $50 with the Landry birthday reward which we have 2 of plus we love it. The Wok Fried Green Beans are a must.

And if you’ve read my dining report you’ll see Marie thought the burger was the best she’d ever eaten.

The other advantage is we don’t need to book so can remain free and easy. Although given the stress not having meals books causes us I suspect I’ll book anyway .

So 2 x Yak & Yeti would be around $100 of our gift card money leaving $200 for other restaurants. We can add to that so maybe say another 3 meals.

We love Liberty Tree Tavern and didn’t manage last year. The platter at dinner is fab and a great change from the usual food we grab in the parks.

I’m also thinking somewhere in Epcot. If we upgrade we might try somewhere unusual because then it’s “free” so it’s ok if we don’t like it but otherwise maybe Chefs de France. We had a lovely meal there a few years ago and have never made it back. Of course we’ll be there for Food & Wine with 60 snack credits between us so maybe not .

I’m on the fence about a character breakfast. We’ve never done the breakfast at Garden Grill and I like the look of it. Plus if we get an early ADR we could potentially walk straight on Soarin’. Let’s make that a definite if we upgrade and a maybe if we don’t.

Another place we liked but haven’t gotten back to is Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’. I’d like to go again but lots of the QS places we want to try are in Disney Springs so I suspect if we don’t upgrade it’ll be a no.

And talking of DS. This beauty will be a QS credit.

Although I need to convince Marie we can’t have it every night .

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Lisa, don’t do this to me! I can’t look at food, I am allowed to talk about food, because that leads to ADRs. I’m now up to 6.

We are food twins, my list has Liberty Tree Tavern on it (but for lunch), Yak & Yeti (down to you!) and I very much want to do Garden Grill breakfast but I think I’ll pass on that one, as if we’re booking a breakfast, I’d prefer it to be a buffet.

When we downgraded to a Value we lost our $200 gift card, so we just have the $100 Refer-a-Friend one, so I can say our Yak & Yeti dinner is on you!

I definitely agree with foregoing Chef Art Smith’s in favour of Disney Springs QS. I’ve got a lot of places I’d like to try but I’m not sure how many we’ll actually go to! We definitely have to have Daily Poutine though, Nik really liked the poutine at the Food & Wine Festival.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Lisa, don’t do this to me! I can’t look at food, I am allowed to talk about food, because that leads to ADRs. I’m now up to 6.

We are food twins, my list has Liberty Tree Tavern on it (but for lunch), Yak & Yeti (down to you!) and I very much want to do Garden Grill breakfast but I think I’ll pass on that one, as if we’re booking a breakfast, I’d prefer it to be a buffet.

When we downgraded to a Value we lost our $200 gift card, so we just have the $100 Refer-a-Friend one, so I can say our Yak & Yeti dinner is on you!

I definitely agree with foregoing Chef Art Smith’s in favour of Disney Springs QS. I’ve got a lot of places I’d like to try but I’m not sure how many we’ll actually go to! We definitely have to have Daily Poutine though, Nik really liked the poutine at the Food & Wine Festival.
Well enjoy Yak & Yeti on me . Technically ours is on you!

6 ADRs will mean lots of snacks in your suitcase methinks .

I also like a buffet breakfast and we do love Tusker House.

I keep thinking about upgrading but when I think about it logically it would be the upgrade cost plus tips which would use up around $200 of our gift cards I suspect and it just doesn’t make financial sense. I think unless we save/get enough extra to change back to OKW it’ll be QSDP with a few ADRs.

One of these days we’ll do DxDDP! It’s on my bucket list!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 19, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I'll look forward to the year you do DxDDP!

You are right, once you factor in the upgrade cost, then the tips, you’re knocking on the door of the OKW price anyway!

In hindsight, we probably should have just stuck with the free breakfast rather than upgrading to QSDP. The only thing that is stopping me downgrading is that I imagine we’d miss the snacks.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I'll look forward to the year you do DxDDP!

You are right, once you factor in the upgrade cost, then the tips, you’re knocking on the door of the OKW price anyway!

In hindsight, we probably should have just stuck with the free breakfast rather than upgrading to QSDP. The only thing that is stopping me downgrading is that I imagine we’d miss the snacks.
The snacks were the reason we didn’t just go for a value with free breakfast too. Then when I took into account the gift card and the upgrade cost CBR made more sense.

If my PPI claims all come in maybe this year will be DxDDP 😜.

Trip Report Index
Old 31 Jan 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Well today my new passport arrived and I was able to do my ESTA. My old passport was due to expire in July and last time I took advantage of the 6 month early rule and renewed in January but of course that’s gone. Despite that I still felt I should renew now as I’d also have to do a new ESTA and I really didn’t want to leave all that too late. It was niggling me that I had flights booked without a valid ESTA 😱. Anyway, passport arrived today 8 days from applying which was great and ESTA is approved and printed! Another thing off the list!

Trip Report Index

Edited at 11:37 PM.
Old 31 Jan 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Well today my new passport arrived and I was able to do my ESTA. My old passport was due to expire in July and last time I took advantage of the 6 month early rule and renewed in January but of course that’s gone. Despite that I still felt I should renew now as I’d also have to do a new ESTA and I really didn’t want to leave all that too late. It was niggling me that I had flights booked with a valid ESTA 😱. Anyway, passport arrived today 8 days from applying which was great and ESTA is approved and printed! Another thing off the list!
DH's passport expired in August and I only just got round to renewing - first thing I did when we got it was our ESTAs! 😄 Really enjoying your report so far, thanks for sharing👋
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 19, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
DH's passport expired in August and I only just got round to renewing - first thing I did when we got it was our ESTAs! 😄 Really enjoying your report so far, thanks for sharing👋
Thanks!

Yes I haven’t been able to relax with no valid ESTA!

Trip Report Index
Old 1 Feb 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
LOU,
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Looking forward to following along. I had no idea that your decided to give the QSDP a go as I know you really like the DDP, but I really think it's worth trying and paying for a few oop as you've planned. It's definitely our preferred choice now. Let's see if you're still with the QSDP by the time the trip comes around though! That £900 OKW upgrade would buy a lot of meals though, and then some!

Well done on getting the reward seats. I managed to get the same for us - EC out and PE home. Was hard work though as we're going at October half term and they were like gold dust! Having to fly from Gatwick for the first time as just had no luck with Manchester.

We're giving US a miss as it doesn't really do that much for us. Might sound weird, but when I'm there, I feel like I'm at a theme park, like a day out at Alton Towers, but the Disney parks just don't feel like that to me. Even our two teenagers feel the same and I know US is normally much more popular with their age group. I've obviously trained them well I am getting HHN tickets for my husband and daughter though as they're horror fans and have wanted to do this for ages. Hoping to get a night a Cabana Bay using Clubcard vouchers and relax there with my son, who's part fish so should enjoy the pool.

I'll be doing a live food report too - just need to think up a title!
Sorry to jump in, can I ask how you managed to get economy out and premium home, also how many miles this would be. Thank you
LOU, is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List