Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 31 Oct 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The Bare Necessities - Day 8 Wednesday 7th August 2019 HS, Dibb Meet and Narcoossee's

Day 8 HS, Dibb meet and Narcoossee’s for dinner Wednesday 7th August 2019

Welcome to The Bare Necessities Trip Report. I’m Abby and I went to Orlando at the end of July 2019 with my husband David, our children Max (14) and Kate (12). We’ve been to Orlando before But this trip was different as we had my parents Jac and Tom with us, they will be referred to as Mum and Dad or Grandma and Grandad throughout the report. I was so excited to take them with us as this was their first time to WDW.

Day 8

Today was to be a morning spent at HS, chill out time by the pool at the resort before going to the Grand Floridian for dinner at Narcoossee’s. Nearly all of that went to plan .

The alarm was set for 7.30am and we had agreed to meet at 8.30 at the bus stop. We just about managed to get up and be ready before Mum and Dad knocked on the door for us.

There were no bus times showing on the screens this was increasingly frustrating. Did it mean we had just missed a bus? Did it mean there would be no bus for ages? Or did it just mean they had no clue when there would be a bus? In the end today we were lucky as a HS bus arrived 8 minutes after we got to the stop, there was still no time showing on the screen. There were lots of people waiting but it seems they were all waiting for an MK bus as hardly any of them got on our HS one .

The journey was speedy as HS is just around the corner. When we got to the park bag check line lottery was on the cards . Dad, Max and Kate all went through the no bags line. Mum picked very wisely, Dave and me not so much . We had someone who was doing very thorough checks indeed . I ended up chatting to the two American ladies behind us as they spotted that people with strollers or who were in ECVs were being turned away as they got to the table as there are specific bag check lines for strollers now and they were not allowed to just join any line. There were some pretty disgruntled people who had queued up for bag check and then once they had got to the front realised they were in the wrong line. I hadn’t ever spotted this before, and it seems the two American ladies hadn’t seen this either, maybe it’s a new set up? Maybe it's always been this way? I don’t know, but it did seem a shame for the poor people with strollers who were turned away.

Once we were in the park we went straight to Toy Story Land and went on Alien Swirling Saucers, this was a 10 minute posted wait and it was pretty accurate.

We then had a photo pass and posed really badly for the Green Army Parachute Drop Man photo, we have no idea where we were supposed to be pointing!

Then we saw the Green Army Men for real.

I had a quick look on the app and Star Tours was posted as a 10 minute wait so we went around to there, in the end it was a walk on and we didn’t even stop in the queue area.

We watched a bit of the Jedi Training after the ride.

But the lure of our Tower of Terror FP running out was pulling me.

I tried to convince Mum and Dad that they would like Tower of Terror, but they didn’t want to ride it so just the four of us went on. While we were waiting to get in the lifts in the basement area a man dropped his sunglasses so a cast member came along with a really long grabber and managed to get them back for him. I suppose they are used to this, hence the grabber being close at hand.

We were in the middle row for ToT.

It was just starting to rain when we found Mum and Dad. So, we left them on the seated area by the QS while we went and did Rock and Roller Coaster. We were the back row of RnR. This was super as usual a bit head bangy, but still fun.

We grabbed some cups of water from Starbucks before heading over to get funnel cakes for a very late breakfast as it was now gone 11am.

I didn't fancy sharing as it was likely to end up a sticky mess, plus we had loads of snack credits left. So 1 each of these. Mum, Dad, Max and Kate all had the chocolate version

Dave and me went super healthy with 1 of our 5 a day

We were all very sticky after eating them.

6 snack credits here. Perhaps we should have shared as Dave felt a bit icky and ended up having to sit out afterwards while we went off to meet Olaf.

It was a 15 minute wait to meet Olaf, but we all felt we needed time for the breakfast to go down before doing anymore rides.

He commented on Kate’s ears. Olaf wondered if Kate was a sorcerer like Mickey. She said Yes. The cast member asked if she could show them some of her magic, Kate was pretty quick with her reply as she said that her magic only works at night, that’s why there are stars on there.

It was not time for the Slinky Dog Dash fast pass.

I just realised that we don’t have the ride photo for this which is a shame.

Just after 12 noon we were on our way in to One Man’s Dream where a cast member complimented me on my ears. Surely this film is compulsory viewing if you are on your first visit? I decided there was no debate about whether we would watch it and as it was so hot it was a welcome break from the midday sun. We had just a 10 minute wait until the next show so I took the opportunity to take a few photos of the displays.

After the show we saw some of the Star Wars characters heading towards the theatre for the show but we didn’t want to watch it as we were hot and wanted to get back to the hotel for a rest.

We didn’t have long to wait for a bus as one arrived 5 minutes after we got to the bus stop.

We had a great bus driver who was telling lots of jokes.

Mum and Dad had a rest. I left the other three chilling out in the hotel room while I did some Laundry...code for drinking cocktails and dibbing ! Laundry was also done though. It was $3 for the wash and then $2.50 for the dryer.

I had a sunshine margarita while the wash was being done it was fab.

I was also what's apping dibber OB1 as she was in Orlando with her family doing a universal trip. We'd said we would try and meet up sometime, but as I was, basically too lazy to travel and she is way nicer than me she said they would pop over to FQ after having tea at Beaches and Cream. So, I was patiently waiting for her and hoping the washing would finish before she got here as I'm pretty sure she was more keen on the idea of the cocktails part of the laundry process and less keen on helping me sort out the washing

Meantime, Kate sent me a what’s app that she was peckish so she came over to find me. She grabbed a flatbread for lunch. While waiting for it to be cooked I took a couple of photos of the sweet treats for sale in the QS area.

I figured I'd get a Margarita as the drink. Kate wanted BBQ crisps though as the drink/side so I ended up letting her get them as a snack, largely to avoid her being sulky about not getting them. So, this cost a QS credit and a snack. I hadn't planned on sharing the flatbread, but it looked really good and I ended up having half of it, so rather than save the crisps for later Kate ate them then and there. They were BBQ flavour and crispy...not sure what else to say.

I poured the bottle of margarita in my glass (plastic cup) from the pool bar. It was nowhere near as good as the first marg!

Back to the laundry Kate helped me fold up all the dry clothes which we took back to the room. Dave decided he would come out with us to the pool, but Max was happy lounging around on his phone.

So, me, Dave and Kate went to the pool for a swim, Dad also came for a swim. Then, of course, the rain and the thunder and the lightning came.

We huddled under an umbrella at the pool bar, but it didn’t look like it was clearing up any time soon. Dave and Kate made a dash for the hotel room and I met up with Max in the food court as he had now decided he was hungry for lunch. He got himself a bacon cheeseburger with chips and a gluten free chocolate chip cookie.

Max and me walked back to our room, which took us past Grandma and Grandad’s room. Grandad was reading while sitting with his feet up on the air con unit under the window. They had the room occupied sign up on the door handle, so we didn’t go in as I figured Mum was probably having a nap. We did chuckle at Dad with his feet up.

It was now quite wet and rainy, so I showered and got ready for cocktails with OB1 and dinner. OB1 had arrived and I went to the reception area to meet her. We had a fab time in Scat Cats.

I had a magical star cocktail my one and only of the trip it was delicious.

She had a Mai Tai, which if they are as tasty as the ones in the pool bar then she was onto a winner as it was a fab drink.

Plus, in spite of my laziness she paid so not only had I made her trek all the way over to Disney when she didn't have Disney tickets she paid for me to have a drink. I owe her one and I'm hoping to be able to pay it back next summer at CBR . We had a great time talking about our holidays so far and everything we had been up to, she gave me some great tips for Universal and we both hoped the rain would soon dry up as it had been a pretty wet summer so far.

I’m looking forward to plenty more cocktails when we have our reunion in 2020 just 9 months away now.

We only had time for one drink as we were off for our dinner at Narcoossee’s. The others were all ready when I got back to the hotel room and we made our way to the bus stop. We took a bus and then the monorail to the Grand Floridian.

We walked through the beautiful lobby. It was a shame that Mizner’s Lounge was closed for a refurb while we were there.

We had a quick look around the shops and then made our way to the restaurant.

More photos of the lovely grounds.

We arrived about 10 minutes before our ADR time of 6.55pm, so we were able to enjoy some drinks at the bar in the restaurant.

Max ordered a chocolate milkshake and drank most of it before I could get a photo, it was gone within 10 seconds.

Kate had a Shirley Temple. She loves these.

Mine was the key lime pie martini and it was way too sweet and while it may have been good as an after dinner cocktail it wasn't great as a pre dinner drink. It was creamy and I should have read the menu properly as it was pretty clear from the description. Plus I suppose there was a clue in the name! Still, I forced myself to finish it.

Dad had a ginger ale. Mum had a Narcoossee Sidecar, which she enjoyed.

Dave had the Grand Martini which was a great choice and was very tasty.

This all came to $62.47, before the tip.

We were showed to our table within about 20 minutes of arriving. It was a window table with a great view, I was pretty happy.

The kids got the kids menu's just so they could play with games! Even at 14 (now 15) and 12 they still love these.

We looked at the menu, but I already knew what I was having I'd been eyeing it up for months now.

Mum, Dad and Dave all ordered red wine. I had the Mango mojito. This was a much better choice and I really liked this cocktail.

The bread was delicious, lovely and warm. It didn't last long.

For the main course four us went for the Surf and Turf, not great Dibb food report stuff, but we were all keen to try it. It was worth it and I absolutely loved it.

Dad had the steamed lobster, which he enjoyed.

Max had the Filet Mignon, no second steak this time though. As I was sitting next to him I was lucky enough to get the gift of his vegetables, they were good.

Onto desserts. Dad had the cheese plate.

Dave had the no added sugar Chocolate Torte, he liked this alot.

Mum and me had the creme brulee, this was ok, but not the best brulee I had this trip. The one from Chefs De France on our last Disney day was better.

Kate ordered from the kids menu, this was a deconstructed s'mores plate.

Max would have loved this but he was fearing it would be tiny like the kids meal from Satuli, so he went with a deconstructed cheesecake instead. It looked pretty but he wasn't a fan. Kate kindly gifted one of her S'mores to him.

The bill as ever for the TS was split between the 2 rooms, so that we could charge the tips and maintain the correct TS credits for each room, the servers were all happy to do this and it was never a problem. So, it would have been $381.69 with tax and the 18% tip, for the four of us it was 8 TS credits as this is a 2 credit meal and the tip.

The sun was just starting to set as we were paying up. It was around 8.30pm.

This was a fab meal, we really enjoyed it. The portions were perfect and we came out full, but not over stuffed as we had done previously. We went over to the boat dock to catch the boat to MK.

The restaurant looked so pretty behind us with all the lights on.

I was pleased with the timings too as we had come out just in time for the Electrical Water Pageant. The boat we were on followed it on it's route to the Poly.

Then after picking up from the Poly we headed over to MK while watching the fireworks from HEA.

This was perfect timing and I was so pleased that we had a free fireworks cruise!

Do you like my hidden Mickey?

The fireworks absolutely made the evening. It was fab

We made our way to the bus stop beating the crowds out of MK and were back at the resort by 9.40pm and in bed by 10pm. In spite of it being a pretty lazy day we were shattered again!

This was another fun day with the rides in the morning and then a lazy afternoon sorting out laundry and chilling in the hotel. I was so pleased I got to meet up with OB1 and have good natter with her. The dinner at Narcoossee’s was delicious and the whole evening was made even more special with the fireworks going off while we were on the boat over to MK. This evening is one of the best of the trip and I really enjoyed it, it was lovely to spend time together and we were so lucky to catch the fireworks.

Statistics
Steps 19,709
Attractions 5

Coming Soon

Next up tomorrow we head over to Blizzard Beach for the day before going to Epcot in the evening where we have our final buffet of the trip and aim to watch Illuminations for the first time this trip (and hopefully not the last time). This was only our 2nd buffet and it’s the last chance to see some of Max’s buffet plates .

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

That sounds like a really fantastic day! How lovely to have a Dibb meet-up Your timing on the boat was just perfect, I’ve never seen the water pageant. And so lovely to get a bonus watch of the fireworks! I love the look of Kate’s s’mores! I think I might look at children’s dessert options next year, as I’m not very ‘fancy’ with my dessert tastes and they might be more my kind of thing!
Old 1 Nov 19, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

What a great day.

The buses at POFQ were laughable some days...

I did not know there was a magic shot with a parachuting green army man.

How nice meeting up with OB1, catching up with dibb friends is great fun when your holidays overlap. At some point you and I are bound to overlap and can catch a wee cocktail.

Hope you are rested after your DC trip, looking forward to hearing all about that too.
Old 1 Nov 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Th1nkT1nk View Post
That sounds like a really fantastic day! How lovely to have a Dibb meet-up Your timing on the boat was just perfect, I’ve never seen the water pageant. And so lovely to get a bonus watch of the fireworks! I love the look of Kate’s s’mores! I think I might look at children’s dessert options next year, as I’m not very ‘fancy’ with my dessert tastes and they might be more my kind of thing!
It was a great day. Meeting OB1 was lovely. The water pageant was sweet and it was good timing on the boat, I knew it would be coming out at around the time we should be finishing the meal so I had hoped we see it, but I didn't think we'd get the bonus of the fireworks too. I agree about the smores dessert it did look lovely and is a good alternative to the desserts on the adult menu.

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
What a great day.

The buses at POFQ were laughable some days...

I did not know there was a magic shot with a parachuting green army man.

How nice meeting up with OB1, catching up with dibb friends is great fun when your holidays overlap. At some point you and I are bound to overlap and can catch a wee cocktail.

Hope you are rested after your DC trip, looking forward to hearing all about that too.
This wasn't the only time the bus times screen was just blank, surely they can sort out their GPS tracking? Doesn't every bus have it? Because our room was a 1 minute walk to the bus stop I never looked at the times in the app in the room as we were ready when we were ready and it didn't really matter if there was an earlier bus.

The army man shot is near the entrance to alien swirling saucers opposite the rest rooms.

I'd love to have a cocktail with you in one of the lounges...one day.

Washington DC was fab, we had really good weather, did a lot of walking taking in all the sights of the city and went to a few museums too. Plus I had some yummy chicken totchos and some yummy American bacon at breakfast.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

The bus times can be such a pain sometimes can't they.

The Dibb meet looked fab, as Rescuer said I also hope we get to meet one day too

I love the pics of the water pageant and surprise fireworks, perfect ending to the evening.

I hope DC was amazing and I can't wait to hear all about it xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
The bus times can be such a pain sometimes can't they.

The Dibb meet looked fab, as Rescuer said I also hope we get to meet one day too

I love the pics of the water pageant and surprise fireworks, perfect ending to the evening.

I hope DC was amazing and I can't wait to hear all about it xx
There was no consistency with the buses I think that's what was so frustrating as we couldn't rely on the screens as the information shown was often wrong.

I'm sure our holidays will match up sometime Kelly, it would be great to get together.

DC was great, very different to Florida.

Here I am enjoying the lounge as we flew business class.

The White House

The Monument

It was lots of memorials and museums. Plus a whole load of walking, I was really achy in the mornings!

I've started a trip report, actually I've nearly finished it as I've only got 2 more days to post. If you're interested the link is in my signature.

X

Old 2 Nov 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Ahhh I'm on my phone so can't see signatures. I'll have a look when I get on the laptop later xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Ahhh I'm on my phone so can't see signatures. I'll have a look when I get on the laptop later xx
I know that general trips aren't to everyone's taste as there aren't any theme parks so not to worry if you don't want to read it x

I'm aiming to finish it today as I really want to start my pre trip for next year! I think I've thought of a name for the report. That seems to be the hardest thing for me

Old 3 Nov 19, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Very Serious Dibber

What a great day! I love the look of the food in Narcoosee’s, especially that lobster.

I must remember to have a cocktail next time I do the laundry at home, I’m sure it makes the whole process much more fun!
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Great day Abby!
I’m laughing out loud at the Green Army Man magic shot, it’s only your Dad that’s remotely pointing in the right direction 😂. It’s a bit like the Banshee one in AK, I don’t think any of us got that one right either!
I can’t wait to visit Toy Story Land, the theming looks amazing. Not sure when that will be though 😩
How lovely to meet up with a Dibber for cocktails too. Reminds me we need to arrange another night out!
Dinner looks delicious but is that figure right? $381.69 for the 4 of you 😳. I can’t believe the current Disney prices and how anyone not on the dining plan affords it!
How wonderful to get your own fireworks cruise, you timed that perfectly

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List