Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Aug 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Thanks both. The tenants in the property definitely make me nervous, especially as they don't want to leave. It was an extended family of 5-6 people, one with a baby on the way, a large dog and apparently the property isn't attractive to take over with tenants in situ as they are paying a really low rent from a historical agreement. So I feel like they would find it very difficult to find somewhere else to move to!

I meant to add that the parking didn't appear to be an issue. There was an allocated space for the property, a central courtyard with loads of empty spaces and many spaces marked as visitor parking, lots empty at 6pm on a week day. So while parking concerns are valid for this type of development it seemed fine.
I wouldn't consider bidding with tenants in at all. I will tell the seller if the tenants move out, get and touch and we can discuss but with tenants in, no way!
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Alien View Post
I wouldn't consider bidding with tenants in at all. I will tell the seller if the tenants move out, get and touch and we can discuss but with tenants in, no way!
Yes I feel the same way. We did go see one yesterday with tennants who apparantley were happy to go and had already found somewhere else, so maybe then. But generally it puts me off hugely.

As we are in rented at the moment, if we gave notice to leave here based on the exchange date and then the tennants in our purchased house didn't leave, we would be homeless! Our families live 200 miles away from here where our jobs are so we would have nowhere to go. Not a situation I'm willing to risk.

We have actually seen a house we love now, not rented out and the owners have already found their new property so sounds promising!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Lovely, tell us more? x

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Good luck!
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
How exciting to be looking for your first home, that's a lovely feeling.

My top advice would be to look inside the cupboards (kitchen mainly). My niece viewed a house and it had a lovely kitchen - or so she thought. Once she bought it, she realised they'd put new doors on and the carcasses were absolutely rotten. Cost her £6k for a new kitchen - lesson learnt. Open the doors and peek inside!

Drive there at different times of the day and weekends to check out parking, noise etc. Walk around the area and get a feel for it.

Research future building plans for the area. You don't want to buy because it overlooks a beautiful meadow, then find out the farmer sold it and 200 houses are going to be built on it! Don't trust anyone else to do this research - do it yourselves for peace of mind.

If there is loft access, be sure to take a look so have a torch/step ladder in your car in case they say they don't have one available. A hidden ton of trouble could be up there (like daylight)!

Enjoy!
Joa
I was viewing a house and estate agent said this house have modern kitchen. I opened one cupboard and it fell. It was mouldy rotten inside. Estate agents are full of lies!
Old 12 Aug 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Alien View Post
I was viewing a house and estate agent said this house have modern kitchen. I opened one cupboard and it fell. It was mouldy rotten inside. Estate agents are full of lies!
Eww. I have definitley been poking around inside cupboards which DH thinks is silly but clearly not!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

OP the central courtyard spaces are for the abseil centre, probably very busy at the weekends.

Won't you mind a 400ft tower overshadowing your house?
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
OP the central courtyard spaces are for the abseil centre, probably very busy at the weekends.

Won't you mind a 400ft tower overshadowing your house?
We aren't interested in that house any more- but actually the tower didn't bother us at all. I know it would some people but honestly not an issue for us.
Old 12 Aug 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
So, some on - have we got another house to view yet or what?!

We need more!

Joa
Old 12 Aug 19, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
So, some on - have we got another house to view yet or what?!

We need more!

Joa
Lol! We have seen a house we love and are going to put in an offer. In fact we loved two, but one was larger and had a cloakroom which is a big must for us so it was the more sensible choice.

My mum thinks we are rushing it a bit, but if we love the house and its in budget then why not? Also she doesn't know I'm pregnant as I'm only 11 weeks, so she doesn't know we are keen to be sorted as soon as possible!

The only issue with this house is it has a small flat roof single story extension which I know can cause issues. So we are prepared the survey might turn up some nasties. However its a fairly modern one and the house was sold 2 years ago with it on so it can't have been a big issue then.