Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 4 Nov 17, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
thebig40
slightly serious Dibber

Ice Ice Baby! 4 days in Iceland day 3

Day 3 - Whale watching and The Blue Lagoon

Another early start and another delicious breakfast!

We headed to the bus stop and were picked up by a minibus which took us down to the harbour for our whale watching trip. We checked in and were offered motion sickness pills and apparently it was going to be a bit rough Not the best news as I can get sick on a pond. I made sure I took the tablet asap!

We boarded our boat and DD and I changed into attractive red thermal suits as it was much cooler today and I hate being cold. Suitable attired, we headed up to the top deck and began searching. We'd been told to look out for blows and there was a marine biologist on board looking out and telling us interesting information as we searched. About half an hour in we spotted a blow and the guide told us it was a humpback whale! Exciting! We then spent the next hour or so chasing after the whales and trying to get the illusive tail shot as they dived.

We were not successful!

It did start to get a bit choppy after this and my poor babies were feeling it

Amelia thought it was funny at first as she was sliding up and down the bench but the novelty soon wore off and she just felt plain sick! We were running from side to side in the boat as we spotted whales disappearing and reappearing on different sides of the boat so I dont think that helped either. As we got closer to the shore there was more protection from the wind and it was calmer and they both perked up again.

We arrived back on dry land and then boarded a minibus to take us to to the coach station where we transferred to the bus to take us to The Blue Lagoon. Tom was really looking forward to this.

We arrived and went off to get changed. There were not enough places to get changed in/on so that was a bit of a faff, trying to not put your clothes on to the wet floor. We managed it eventually and finally found a locker. They could do with being a bit larger seeing as you have to put thick coats, hats, gloves, hundreds of layers of clothes etc. we then headed down to meet the boys. We hung up our towels on some racks by the pool, I'd bought them with us along with flip flops as I'd read it was £20 each to hire a robe and flip flops, and then headed into the water. Wow! Heaven! It was much cooler today and there was no sunshine so if felt really lovely to get into the super warm water. We waded around a bit and there were hotter and cooler patches in the pool. I liked the hot bits but they were too much for the children!

We smeared ourselves with white silica face masks and floated around for a bit. Lovely! After rinsing our face masks off we went to get a drink from the swim up bar. We tapped our bands to pay, forking over £30 for 4 drinks and floated around a bit more just enjoying it all.

We stayed in there for about two relaxing hours in total probably. They had shampoo and conditioner in the showers so we had a good scrub but struggled to get a spot to get dressed again. We paid for our drinks as we left and I overhead some people arriving and trying to buy tickets to get in. The receptionist politely told them that they were fully booked, they tried to get tickets for the following day but were again told that it was fully booked. I felt sorry for them as they were flying home the following day so wouldn't have the chance to go. Seems crazy not to book it in advance though and leave it to chance!

We boarded the bus and returned to the city again. Another quick stop in the apartment and then we headed out for some dinner. We had decided to go to a restaurant called Icelandic Street Food today for some Icelandic fish soup in a bread bowl but the kids were not very happy about that so we grabbed them another burger meal before heading off to get some food for ourselves. The restaurant was great, only tiny but the owner was very quirky and proud of his restaurant. We both ordered the fish soup and it was very pleasant, he gave us a free top up to which was nice! The bread bowl goes all soft and you pull it apart when you have finished the soup - delicious. I think it was around £50 for the soups and 4 drinks.

We went to a dessert cafe for waffles and crepes afterwards before staggering home after another amazing day.

Edited at 02:57 PM.
thebig40 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

The blue lagoon

Heavenly!

Great stuff all round
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 17, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
A shame there was a bit of sea sickness, but it sounds like you had a fun day overall.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 17, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Shame you felt sick on the boat.

Blue Lagoon is on our list – good tip re the flip flops and towels.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 17, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Great day, the soup looks great! I'm still debating about the whale watching as my dh gets incredibly sea sick so I'm still undecided on that one at the moment.

Where was the dessert cafe? Sounds right up my street!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 21, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarey
Imagineer

Great report
Clarey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List