Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 12 Jul 21, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
willow
Imagineer

We pay for a extra days villa hire so we don’t have to check out till we need to head to the airport. To us it’s definitely worth it as we can go and get some breakfast and the last little bits of shopping and have a couple hours in the pool before having to leave.

Indian Creek 2004,Radison 2005
Indian Creek 2007,Calabry Park 2009
Lake Wilson Preserve 2011,2013, 2015,2016,2017,2018, 2019,2020
willow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 21, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Plastic lunch box for us, small roll of bubble wrap from the pound shop as we normally buy a Christmas decoration, sellotape to seal the Bath and Body works soaps as we had one pop up due to air pressure a few years ago, made the case smell good but a lot of extra time cleaning everything.

We don't bring chocolate but lots of other food wrapped in a carrier bag ( Sonny's BBQ sauces, pumpkin spice mix etc )and a separate plastic container for the nice smelling GAIN tumble dryer sheets that remind me of holiday.

In many years of travelling we have had one broken candle, one eyeshadow palette and the BBW soap.
If you saw what we have successfully bought back ( full size smoker once) its not too bad .
TSA have never missed opening a case with food in and leaving their note in over 15 trips.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 21, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

With Bath and Bodyworks soaps, I cellotape around the lids, then put them in ziplock bags - 2 or 3 to a ziplock.

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 21, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I usually pack chocolate/sweets into checked baggage, which gets left with bell services at the resort I'm at in the morning. I then go to the parks and return to the resort a few hours later to get my bags. So far I've not had any issues with chocolate melting this way, although admittedly bell services does store luggage indoors which won't get as hot as if luggage was left in a car.

Wonder if you do have to leave in a car - freezer packs or bags of ice alongside the chocolate while in the car, then pack the chocolate into the suitcases at the airport? Not sure how well this will work though.

Mugs - I know Disney has paper they can use to wrap the mugs really nicely in (I think one time there was some odd corrugated paper thing but not sure if this is always available). Otherwise, I just wrap clothes around the mugs. So far my mugs have made it home safely in checked baggage.

Anything that is liquid - lids are taped with scotch tape then into double ziploc bags. Similar to poster above except for the double bags. I do the double bags personally because in the past I've had liquid leak a bit out of a bottle and past one bag, so I feel two bags is a bit safer for me.
Old 12 Jul 21, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
richard29
Apprentice Imagineer

[QUOTE=sky13;15051262]
Mugs - I know Disney has paper they can use to wrap the mugs really nicely in (I think one time there was some odd corrugated paper thing but not sure if this is always available). Otherwise, I just wrap clothes around the mugs. So far my mugs have made it home safely in checked baggage.

We take corrugated paper with us & agree with the double bagging of liquids.

We always find the little note from the TSA saying our bag has been searched in at least one case.
But, we just can't get some stuff here so buy loads and bring it back with us
Old 12 Jul 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
captainuk
Trying for More Ears

Insulted freezer bags

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
We’ve got insulted freezer bags and gel packs that stuff goes in for the way home
Dollar tree do them if on the way out luggage weight is an issue
Only once had a disaster with a delay of 6 hours with our luggage sat on the tarmac at MCO then 4 hours at Atlanta due to thunder storms luggge arrived 2 days after us back home
You freezer bags are ugly and you smell.

Bet they are insulted now LOL.
Old 15 Jul 21, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Morty View Post
We now take a large plastic lunch box in the case, thanks to a previous Dibb tip. We put shampoo and stuff in it on the way out then our most breakable purchases on the way back. Just gives a bit more protection.
We do this too, it’s great. I got a giant glass Christmas bauble home this way, I was sure it would break but it arrived home safely in one piece, it was packed in the tub with 4 large mugs and the all survived the journey too. Definitely a top Dibb tip

I just put sweets in the case.

Edited at 08:04 PM.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Maindrain
Trainee Dibber

Hi, we buy a wheeled cooler from Walmart, the Coleman ones are about thirty dollars, and place this in a large tote bag.
The cooler keeps everything protected and of course cool. The plus side is we get them for friends to use in the UK, to buy the same one at Go Outdoors is about seventy pounds.

Win, win.

Brought back seven so far. 👍

Multiple trips since 1991, and EuroDisney just the once!
OK, I like Florida.
Maindrain is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by willow View Post
We pay for a extra days villa hire so we don’t have to check out till we need to head to the airport. To us it’s definitely worth it as we can go and get some breakfast and the last little bits of shopping and have a couple hours in the pool before having to leave.
The one time we did this, it paid off in spades . Five were flying home that day about 11pm and we were heading off on a cruise from Port Canaveral the next day. We’d talked about booking a hotel at the port after dropping off the rest of the family at the airport. Good thing we didn’t , their flight was cancelled . I spent the evening on hold for three hours to Norwegian (they had offered a direct flight 4 days later and when I said no put me through to another department who could book indirect) fortunately we had free calls at the villa and the phone lead stretched out to a lounger by the pool.
We eventually got them rebooked for 7am the next morning (kids had to be back at school). Trying to sort all that from a hotel would have been a nightmare but in the villa the kids just got to play in the pool til bedtime .
I’d always book the extra night now and avoid been “homeless” from 10am til airport time.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracydcp
Imagineer

Originally Posted by willow View Post
We’ve done this in the past and have booked an extra day for this December too. Definitely worth it when you have an evening flight!

April/May 2009, October 2011, May 2013, May 2015
August 2020 We’re going back!
Tracydcp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List