Old 17 Jun 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Pacific Northwest Aug 2019 - Day 9 Mount Rainier National Park

My notes for the day say ‘BEST DAY EVER’ across the top so that might give a clue as to how much we loved Mount Rainier National Park.

We were up at 6am with the alarm as where we were planning to hike was about an hour’s drive and we had read that the park gets really busy in the summer and especially at weekends. So after a quick shower and poached eggs on toast we headed to part of the park called Sunrise.

As we set off Mount Rainier was covered in cloud, so we didn’t feel overly hopeful about our hike as we drove through what seemed like thick fog for ages. However as we climbed higher we arrived above the cloud line and the magnificent mountain came into view.

Although it was only 8am the carpark was already half full and we were thankful we had got up early. The hike we did that day was the 5 mile sunrise rim trail with a small section of the Burroughs mountain trail. It is hard to put into words how amazing the views were and how much we enjoyed the hike. The sky was so blue, the mountain looked so majestic and the wildflowers added beautiful pockets of colour. Along the way we saw marmots – which quickly became our new favourite animal as they were so cute to watch.

There were rangers and volunteers hiking too, who stopped to have a chat and help people if they weren’t sure where to go and also I think checking that anyone making the ascent of the mountain was properly equipped. At the summit of the Burroughs trail the mountain felt so close, as if we could almost touch it and we were glad to have added this section on. The descent back to Sunrise was quite steep but took us past beautiful alpine lakes and wildflower meadows.

The hike took us about 3 hours in total and once back at the visitor centre the car park was so full there was a massive queue to get in. We had a good mooch around the gift shop and stocked up on t-shirts, hoodies and mugs before devouring our packed lunch as we were starving. We then drove back to the cabin and took total advantage of the hot tub whilst enjoying views of the mountains.

That evening we had another grill as our cabin was so lovely we didn’t feel like going out. As we cooked our burgers, a mum and baby elk came wondering past, giving yet another wow moment to the day. We then sat with a beer, toasting marshmallows reflecting on a wonderful day as the sun went down.

Edited at 03:16 PM.
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

It looks beautiful and it sounds like an amazing hike. You really get to experience these parks by walking in them and I’m so glad you got sunshine as well. Sounds like a perfect day (and you are all very co-ordinated!)
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
It looks beautiful and it sounds like an amazing hike. You really get to experience these parks by walking in them and I’m so glad you got sunshine as well. Sounds like a perfect day (and you are all very co-ordinated!)
It really is my favourite place I have ever been and can't recommend visiting enough. I hadn't realised we were in team outfits that day
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Wow, wow, wow, just stunning. What a great day!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
That scenery is incredible, totally understandable how this could be a BEST DAY EVER!
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Wow, wow, wow, just stunning. What a great day!
It really was and Mount Rainier is definitely one of my favourite places in the whole world.
Old 30 Jun 20, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
That scenery is incredible, totally understandable how this could be a BEST DAY EVER!
Thank you and I still can’t quite believe the day we had and how stunning it was
Old 20 Jul 21, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
FLORIDAMUM3
Excited about Disney

Sounds like a perfect day!
Old 22 Jul 21, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
It really was and so pleased I had the opportunity to visit