Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 21 Jul 21, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Day 6: Stratford Upon Avon, Bakewell and Monsal Head

So after our day of mini disasters yesterday, we woke up after a terrible nights sleep in a boiling hot Travelodge in a Stratford Upon Avon …. and surprisingly everyone was pretty cheerful 😂

We had a buffet breakfast in the Travelodge which was really good and thankfully the restaurant was air conditioned.

We checked out without a hitch this time and drove into Stratford Upon Avon and parked up right in the centre… free parking too which was a bonus!
It was still really hot (27) but seemed much more manageable and we enjoyed walking around the streets and looking at the old buildings and shops.

We particularly liked the House of Spells with all the Harry Potter merch - they had some great stuff!

We had a look at Shakespeare’s birthplace and a nose through the windows, and then the kids managed to spend a fortune in the gift shop. Not bad for teenagers who have spent much time moaning about having to learn Shakespeare in school! 😂
Amber even bought a book of Shakespeare’s quotes!

We wandered down Henley Street and got Starbucks iced drinks for the kids and then got back in the car. At this point Lila somehow managed to spill her drink all over me and most of the car, so it was a big clean up operation with baby wipes 😆😬

We had a quick stop for fuel and some drinks and then headed North to the Peak District. It was interesting seeing how the landscape changes in such a short distance. We stopped in Bakewell as we wanted to try some traditional Bakewell pudding and tarts.
Parking was easy and we had a look in some of the gift shops - there are some nice quirky ones

We found a lovely little bakery and bought pies and sausage rolls and of course Bakewell pudding and Bakewell iced tarts!

We sat down by the river Wye and ate… all a big hit apart from the traditional Bakewell pudding which no one liked apart from Koolie! We will stick with iced Bakewell tarts 😂

Lila and Elliott had a paddle in the river and we loved just sitting and watching all the ducks and geese - there are so many!

We stopped for icecream before leaving around 7pm - a really beautiful sunny evening spent in a lovely place

We drove about 5 minutes and then stopped at Monsal Head to admire the views of the viaduct. The sun was starting to set and the colours were amazing… my photos don’t do it justice. Koolie flew his drone and took some incredible video footage.

It was a half hour drive then to Glossop Travelodge - but such an enjoyable drive with stunning scenery. We checked in to the Travelodge- thankfully much cooler and lovely big rooms! We did lose Elliott for a while. He was asked to wait next to the car with the suitcases while we unloaded everything, but for some reason he decided to go into the hotel and guess what room we were booked into! Eventually found him on the second floor - he had carried two suitcases up three flights of steps as well! The way his mind works baffles me sometimes, but it did make me laugh
Dominos next door for dinner

A much more enjoyable day - probably my fave of the holiday so far! The Peak District is stunning in the sunshine!

Edited at 10:56 PM.
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

A much better day I'm lucky to live not too far from The Peak District and I love Bakewell it's such a pretty town

Really enjoying reading along
Old 24 Jul 21, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

We loved Bakewell- it has everything, with the bakeries, quirky shops and cafes and the river too - just stunning! One of my fave places so far - you’re lucky to have it so close!
Originally Posted by P&S View Post
A much better day I'm lucky to live not too far from The Peak District and I love Bakewell it's such a pretty town

Really enjoying reading along
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 06:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A great day, love Stratford upon Avon, the buildings are beautiful. Bakewell looks really pretty too.
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Better day today
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Another favourite of mine , I love bakewell at Christmas 😍 we are in Stratford on Sunday night and agree the travelodge is great but lacks aircon and plugs ! Can I ask where did you park from free in Stratford ? 😁
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 21, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Much better start to the day and the end….my hometown (Glossop).
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 02:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

More lovely photos and another great day. Stratford upon avon is one of bucket list must dos. It looks beautiful and drenched in history.
Old 2 Aug 21, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
You did well to find free parking in Stratford!

What a lovely day, I do live a Bakewell tart.
abiknox is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 21, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

What a lovely day, pleased it was stress free. I wish I was eating a bakewell tart with my coffee.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List