Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Summer in the Wild West of Scotland - the monster midge - Day 6

Summer in the Wild West of Scotland - the monster midge - Day 6

8/7/21

Index is here

We’d done most of the things we’d picked out as must dos, so we decided on a more chilled day today.

A really lazy start was in order, we spent time pottering about to get things a wee bit organised for going home, mainly so we could carry some stuff up the slope later to the car to avoid too many trips up that in one go. 😂

The weather was looking a wee bit dreich but ok. First order of the day was food so we went back to Cafe Tioram for one of their fabulous breakfasts. We sat inside today as it wasn’t quite reliable enough in terms of the weather for an outdoor seat.

The food was great again with nice friendly service. Just before we left we ordered 3 scones with cream and jam to have later.

We’d settled on a beach walk this morning but not as strenuous a one as yesterday. We drove through Acharacle and on to Ardtoe.

Lots of interesting sights on the way. A Phone box in the middle of nowhere, not quite local hero but nearly. A monster midge by the side of the road.

We found parking across the road from a small beach with a wee sign to put a £1 through the letterbox for parking.

There was a cute wee beach across the road. Lots and lots of jellyfish here.

I knew there was a larger beach but we weren’t sure where. A lovely woman came out her house to chat and gave us directions.

Ardtoe was yet another lovely beach and we had a really nice walk and Ds had a great time climbing over all the rocks.

It was another one of these beaches with lots of different bits to it. I really liked that each bit was that little bit different.

Ds was having a great time to himself.

On the way home we found ourself surrounded by sheep at one point. I don’t think the sheep were bothered in the slightest, we just waited it out till they’d all wandered back off the road.

The scones were beckoning now so we stopped off at a wee picnic spot to have those. I swear they were the best scones I’d ever had.

We decided to stop off again at the visitor centre for a drink, cup of tea and a milkshake. We sat outside highly entertained by the sheep and Highland cows.

I’d been keen to do another nature reserve walk that looked interesting but we had a wee look and all agreed that we didn’t really have enough time left to fit it in. Shame.

We’d booked dinner tonight at wee B&B not too far away, Ardshealach Lodge. What a lovely place, it was set in amongst the most gorgeous gardens. They grew loads of their own veg. They had a restaurant which was all local produce So the menu was very much fish of the day, seafood of the day, meat of the day etc.

Ds and I had the seafood starter which was absolutely delicious and loads.

Dh had the venison to start and he thought it was great.

For mains Ds and I had venison , again this was delicious but very rich. Dh had the fish, he really enjoyed it even if he did very quickly remove the vine tomatoes that had been on top when it was served. And had the cheek to replace them with carrots for my photo 😂

We were in two minds about pudding as everything sounded really nice but we were a bit stuffed and Ds was being a little bit of a moan so we skipped it. I think it was about £80-90 for the bill.

A lovely meal to end our trip and we sat and enjoyed our view with a glass of wine to finish off the evening.

Edited at 02:40 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Wonderful day with beautiful scenery and some great food.
Old 21 Jul 21, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Fabulous day and the food looks so yummy
Old 22 Jul 21, 05:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Lots of tasty treats today, the breakfast, the scones, the lovely evening meal. All that and you had the pleasure of the sheep for company, they didn't look like they were in any hurry to move off the road.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
Wonderful day with beautiful scenery and some great food.
The food was the highlight today.

Originally Posted by P&S View Post
Fabulous day and the food looks so yummy
Thanks, oh I’d love one of those scones right now…

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Lots of tasty treats today, the breakfast, the scones, the lovely evening meal. All that and you had the pleasure of the sheep for company, they didn't look like they were in any hurry to move off the road.
I feel we spent a lot of this holiday sheep watching 😂
You must be so excited for finishing school and getting away. I hope you all have the best time.
Old 25 Jul 21, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That breakfast looks like it was delicious 😋 and the scones too! Obviously with all that walking you need to keep your energy levels up! You know you are in the wilds when you share the roads with the local farm life. Dinner looks fab - love all the floral garnishes. Xx
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
That breakfast looks like it was delicious 😋 and the scones too! Obviously with all that walking you need to keep your energy levels up! You know you are in the wilds when you share the roads with the local farm life. Dinner looks fab - love all the floral garnishes. Xx
Absolutely all that outdoor activity justified and high calorie food 😂.

I think I was a little obsessed with the sheep watching, they were just everywhere!