Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 26 Jul 21, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Day 11: Birdoswald Roman Fort, Gretna Green and Glasgow

I can’t believe we are on day 11 already … the days are whizzing by and we have managed to do so much

So last night the whole of haven lost all water around 6pm - which meant no drinking water, showers or flushing the loo. It was all very chaotic, and no one from Haven was around to provide support or even an explanation - and the out of hours contact number just kept going through to answer phone.
We were lucky really as we had enough bottled water for us all to drink til morning, but there were many families who had not long arrived and did not have any drinks at all, and the local on site shops were all sold out, people had been really selfish buying in bulk …. It was like the loo roll pandemic all over again!
It was a hot day, so not good.

I believe the water came back on around 1am, so we managed to shower in the morning before we checked out luckily.

We left around 10.30am (half hour late - oops!) and our first stop was Birdoswald Roman Fort.
Lila was quite poorly last year so was home educated for about 18months, and we had studied the Romans and Hadrian’s Wall, so were keen to see it!

It took about an hour and a half to get to Birdoswald and we had prebooked tickets for free as we are English Heritage members.

We were given fun information packs for the kids, which had puzzles and quizzes etc and then went to watch the short video about the site.

We then had a look at the archaeological section and the lady there showed us some of the items they had uncovered - it was really interesting and the kids asked lots of questions. Their favourite was a paw print that was over 2000 years old!

After this, we went and looked around the site and the remains. There are points dotted around with activities for the kids and puzzles for them to solve - the girls really enjoyed these!

We particularly liked the Roman version of noughts and crosses!

There is a huge stretch of Hadrian’s Wall here - it’s a really good place to see it and get a feel for what it would have been like.

It’s a great site and the views are beautiful - we also loves the sheep wandering around, they were really tame!

We jumped back in the car and carried on up North to Scotland. I was really excited as I’ve never been to Scotland. The girls have been to Glasgow before for a dance competition, but I hadn’t gone.

We stopped just over the border at Gretna Green as we wanted to see the Blacksmith’s shop and where people have been coming to get married when they were too young to marry in England without their parents permission.

It was another lovely sunny afternoon and we enjoyed an hour or two looking in the shop - which had some really lovely items and I managed to spend quite a lot. 😅
The girls chose a necklace each, which was from the ‘Lila’ range coincidentally!

We had some early dinner from the food court and are outside. The food was really good and very reasonable. I had the chicken tikka which was delicious and the kids had lasagne which they enjoyed. Koolie had a scotch pie and chips which he said was really good.

We took some photos of the sculptures and looked at the art work.

There was actually a wedding going on as well, so we saw lots of people all dressed up, and some Scottish bag pipers!

Lila also insisted we had our picture taken here:

Feeling refreshed, we got back in the car to continue our drive to Glasgow, which was just under two hours away.
Waze saved us a lot of time as it took this off the motorway, which we couldn’t understand at the time, until we saw the traffic was at a standstill due to an accident. It took us on a road parallel to the motorway, so saved us sitting in traffic thankfully!

We arrived in Glasgow around 6.30pm and managed to park on the same street as the Travelodge in Queen Street.

We went for a walk to get some dinner and ended up at Taco Bell, as we hadn’t had one since we were in Florida last in 2018!
Food was great and made a nice change. I’m just loving the Scottish accent

Lila likes this art work she spotted near the Travelodge

We have the day to spend in Glasgow tomorrow, which I’m really looking forward to! It’s a nice change of pace after the countryside, Peak District and Lake District!
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

What a brilliant day You packed so much into the day
Old 2 Aug 21, 01:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

Lovely day and photos again. I think your next Florida trip will look like a rest in comparison to this trip. What a lot of driving and you see that it must have took you a lot of time to plan. Not even just the logistics but with covid and having to book places that you wouldn't normally have to book. It does look so rewarding though, having all those lovely experiences together.
Old 5 Aug 21, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Pleased the water was back on so you could get showered in the morning. We like Gretna it’s a good stop off point. I’m going to have a look at the Waze app I never heard about it until last week, it’s good to hear it works well.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List