Notices

Old 1 Aug 21, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Well done on the cocktails tally, you’ve worked really hard getting through so many in 4 days 😂

It’s good that Max is enjoying joining in with the volleyball, has Kate been taking part in any of the organised activities?

Your evening meal does look really good, definitely high quality and well presented. We’ve found that the first hour is the busiest at all inclusive dinners too. It’s also quieter after then as families with younger children eat early.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Well done on the cocktails tally, you’ve worked really hard getting through so many in 4 days 😂

It’s good that Max is enjoying joining in with the volleyball, has Kate been taking part in any of the organised activities?

Your evening meal does look really good, definitely high quality and well presented. We’ve found that the first hour is the busiest at all inclusive dinners too. It’s also quieter after then as families with younger children eat early.
Kate hasn't been joining in. Tinie, the resort entertainment organiser of volleyball, keeps telling her she will get her to play some games but she's not that interested in joining in.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 01:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Sunday 1st August - Jamaica Emancipation Day

The day started off the same as all the others. We have a morning routine of coffee and meeting up for breakfast at 9am. There were a group of American girls in front of us at the entrance to the restaurant who were being refused admission as they were not properly attired. They had crocheted dresses over their swimsuits. They all looked gorgeous, but to enter the restaurants you have to have t shirts and shorts, not just swimwear. In the end the manager gave in and allowed them entry.

I don't think I've mentioned this but they have hand held temperature scanners at all the restaurants and we all have our temperature taken prior to entering. None of us have been stopped yet.

The mango at breakfast was delicious.

They also serve all sorts of coffee in the bars. So we had iced coffees after breakfast as housekeeping were finishing off in our room.

Off to the beach and some fun in the sea. Tinie told us about Emancipation Day and ran through all the activities of the day. A sandcastle competition, which we didn't enter, lots of other games a movie song quiz, at 3pm there was kayak racing in the pool following by volleyball at 4pm. Max was keen to do both these.

One of the locals tried to sell Max a conch or some marijuana if he fancied a smoke. There are a few who wander up the beach offering braiding, souvenirs or rolled 'cigarettes'. They aren't pushy though and happily accept a no thank you.

Max got stung again on his arm by a jellyfish.

It's a little like nettle stings, I got stung this afternoon on my leg, not pleasant but it's not too painful.

First cocktail of the day was a lime Daiquiri as we didnt fancy the next one on the list. This was sour, but good, not too sweet.

Early afternoon it started to rain, so we went back to our rooms and changed for lunch. I said I wasn't hungry but ended up with a large plate of fish, pork and jerk chicken with the spicy sauce.

We sat there for a little while doing a crossword puzzle.

I decided I could squeeze in a dessert or two. For someone who wasn't hungry I was doing pretty well.

It had stopped raining and Max was keen to get back to the pool for the 3pm games. But just after he'd got in they closed the pool as there was lightning in the area.

We hung out in the lobby playing cards 😉 and yes, drinking cocktails.

We went back to the classic list. First up Manhattan. Loved them. Not a beach sundowner type of cocktail, but definitely a cards cocktail.

Mum won the first game.

Next cocktail 🍸 was a martini with 3 olives. This was good 👍again perfect for cards in the lobby.

Max and I joint won the 2nd game.

It had stopped raining again and so me and Max went to the beach. Mum and Dad stayed in the bar. Dave and Kate went back to the rooms.

The pools looked great, but we do love the beach.

We hung out in the sea, listening to a couple on the sand having a massive argument as the guy had lost his phone. Apparently it had fallen out of his pocket as they strolled along the edge of the sea. There was a lot of dramatics with him rolling around in the sand and then the girl diving into the sea proclaiming she was going to find the phone...but sadly she didn't find it.

When I got stung on my leg I decided it was time to get a cocktail. A sprite for Max and do you know what? Yes I deserved it...2 cocktails for me! Dirty Banana, with chocolate swirl, still tastes great. Pina Colada with a cherry, also great.

It's now time to head out for dinner. Not sure where we will end up tonight. Maybe the Mandalay which is the Asian restaurant.

Edited at 01:24 AM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi, I’ve been following your daily reports but haven’t commented before.
WOW! impressive consumption of cocktails. I have serious cocktail envy.
The service is terrific too. My experience of all-inclusives is slow service & weak drinks.

Thx so much for posting & letting us share your enjoyment. We’re all so desperate to read about somebody/anybody having a good time. 👏
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Kate hasn't been joining in. Tinie, the resort entertainment organiser of volleyball, keeps telling her she will get her to play some games but she's not that interested in joining in.
Georgia is the same as Kate. When she was younger she loved all the kids clubs etc but she never wants to join in now. She’s happy to relax with a book, or swim or go exploring and looking for wildlife and taking photos so she’s perfectly contented without joining in.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by disneywiseowl View Post
Hi, I’ve been following your daily reports but haven’t commented before.
WOW! impressive consumption of cocktails. I have serious cocktail envy.
The service is terrific too. My experience of all-inclusives is slow service & weak drinks.

Thx so much for posting & letting us share your enjoyment. We’re all so desperate to read about somebody/anybody having a good time. 👏
I'm pleased it's all sorts of cocktails and spirits that are served. I've noticed the gin served is Gordon's and from what friends have said alcohol in AI resorts is usually local versions of spirits. My Dad has been ordering a Tom Collins and enjoying that.

We've slipped into a rather lovely (but boring to read) routine of food, beach cocktails. We're all enjoying it though even if it's not the most exciting trip report to read.

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Georgia is the same as Kate. When she was younger she loved all the kids clubs etc but she never wants to join in now. She’s happy to relax with a book, or swim or go exploring and looking for wildlife and taking photos so she’s perfectly contented without joining in.
Exactly this I think. Mum asked Kate yesterday if she was having a good time as this holiday is vastly different to what we are used to. Even when we don't do Orlando it's a city break holiday where we have a packed itinerary. Anyway, she said she is enjoying herself so that's good. She's been in the sea a bit, but her shoulders caught the sun so she's been trying to avoid going in the sea when it's sunny and only going in when it's cloudy.

Old 2 Aug 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Sunday Evening

Max and I tore ourselves away from the beach just after 6pm. It was lovely down there. We knew we were coming here in the Hurricane season as its the same time we go to Florida and there will always be rain in the afternoon. We are trying to make the most of the dry spells and enjoy the sea and pool when the sun is shining. For others considering Jamaica bear this in mind, if its going to bother you that you have to pack up go back to the shelter of the resort or room at times then maybe think about travelling outside of the rainy season.

We went for a pre dinner drink in the lobby bar at around 7.30pm.

Cosmopolitan, this was only OK I'm afraid. Not as good as one we would get at home. I've enjoyed the Caribbean special cocktails far more than those that I have regularly and so know what I'm expecting, as I have a idea of what they will taste like and the Jamaican version isn't always the same.

We wandered past the stage to dinner and there were some games for little kids going on.

We headed to the Asian restaurant, Mandalay, this is a small restaurant that serves both Indian, Chinese and Japanese food at the buffet. We were seated within 10 minutes.

First up most of us sampled the sushi. There were three kinds, fish, vegetable and jerk chicken. I liked them all.

Max and Dad don't like sushi so went for the Indian buffet. They liked the bread and tandoori chicken. The lamb rogan josh was nice but spicy. Max managed to eat it all though.

Next up the Chinese buffet which had tempura, spare ribs, sweet and sour chicken, chow mein, fried rice, chicken
Satay, beef and brocoli and lots of different sauces for dipping.

My plate

Kate's plate

There was a salad bar and lots of fruit, but we ignored that! For dessert there were only a small selection.

The green mush on the left was actually a really tasty pistachio marzipan I loved it. The kids liked it too when I said it was marzipan, they were somewhat put off by the colour.

Max, Kate and Dad went next door for their second dessert of ice cream.

The entertainment tonight was some great Jamaican music, singing and dancing. Lots of Bob Marley and celebrating Emancipation Day. We went to bed around 10.30pm.

Edited at 02:47 PM.
Old 2 Aug 21, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

You’re doing well getting through the cocktails

Loving the reports
Old 3 Aug 21, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
You’re doing well getting through the cocktails

Loving the reports
Only one more on the list and we will have that as our pre dinner drink...flavoured martini. I didn't fancy it at the beach today so went with the slushy type cocktails.

Old 3 Aug 21, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Monday

Mum wasn't feeling great so didn't join us for breakfast today and had a chilled out day in the hotel room.

Max was very pleased there were hash browns again at breakfast.

I started with fruit and yoghurt. The mango really is delicious.

I fancied a back roll so got a portion of bacon and a soft roll and made it myself. Yummy!

At the beach we decided to get some snorkels. These are free, but you need to pay a $25 deposit which is refundable when you return them.

Water gear rental place

Checking it out

Break for cocktails around noon. Mine was a crisp lemonade from the fruity and refreshing section, vodka, orange and cranberry juice.

Dave had a pina colada. Max a non alcohol strawberry Daiquiri.

The snorkeling was a lot of fun. This was just from our normal beach. We saw lots of little fish the size of our fingers, ones with stripes, blue ones, yellow, ones with blue and yellow. I'm sorry I don't know all the names. We also saw lots of crabs and the jellyfish, these were about the size of a fist and a rusty orange. We were very excited to see a lionfish this was fantastic and I saw a yellow stingray. We loved the snorkeling.

Next to the jerk hut they set up a cocktail station. I tried this for the first time today.

Pink star! Vodka and a juice of some sort. It was not good though so I won't bother again.

Before lunch I went back for an old favourite the pina colada. This is fab for the beach.

We ended up with a late lunch at about 2.30pm.

Max had meat and chips.

I spotted some fried chicken drumsticks. Plus some rice and grilled pork. Max and Dad were very jealous when they saw the chicken, it was just like KFC. They went back and filled their plates.

Max's second plate of just meat!

For dessert I had a brownie and an apple crumble tart. Max wanted me to check out the brownie and make sure it didn't have any fruit or filling of any kind. It didn't so he deemed it acceptable and got a portion with ice cream.

Back at the beach and some more chilling out and swimming. Max joined in the volleyball again at 4pm.

We had a piece of Heaven cocktail. This has malibu, peach schnapps, orange, lime and cranberry (I think, hopefully I'm remembering the right drink).

Nearly a no rain day. Lots of sunshine a little windy at times and we thought we would get a day with no rain but the heavens opened at about 5.20pm. So we had a mad dash back to the room.

Now I'm chilling out on ths balcony. The rain has stopped. I'm having a beer and watching the world go by.

I can't believe we ate halfway through the holiday. We've really relaxed into the no worries island lifestyle.

Edited at 12:35 AM.