Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Sep 20, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
itsant
I want to go now!

Flight only, what happens if the borders are still closed?

Just wondering what would happen if the borders are still closed and we can't fly. I know with a package that they are ATOL protected but with having the timeshare we just usually book flights alone.
itsant is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 20, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by itsant View Post
Just wondering what would happen if the borders are still closed and we can't fly. I know with a package that they are ATOL protected but with having the timeshare we just usually book flights alone.
Could you consider making it a package by adding a car or a hotel for one night, maybe at the airport.

Otherwise it will depend on the companies terms and conditions, if the flight goes and you cant you may have to take a voucher.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 20, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post

If the flight is still going you would need to claim on insurance or depending on who you have booked with, see if you can reschedule. If the flight is cancelled you are entitled to a refund from the airline (or TA if you booked through one).

ATOL wouldn’t have offered any protection against closed borders.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 20, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

it depends on whether the flight goes or not - i also have timeshare so just book a flight. if you can't fly you could possibly speak to the airline and see if they will move your flight. Otherwise its a claim on your travel insurance if covered
Old 9 Sep 20, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Surely if the borders are still closed then the flight wouldn't go? I can't see an airline sending a plane empty or near as empty.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Surely if the borders are still closed then the flight wouldn't go? I can't see an airline sending a plane empty or near as empty.
There are many flights operating daily between the US and the UK, carrying those who are permitted to travel, such as Americans returning to the US and Brits returning to the UK.

Edit: For example, the BA flight I'm booked on to Miami in mid-October, has been running throughout.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 20, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A lot of airlines are operating flights as cargo only too.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 20, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
it depends on whether the flight goes or not - i also have timeshare so just book a flight. if you can't fly you could possibly speak to the airline and see if they will move your flight. Otherwise its a claim on your travel insurance if covered
No travel insurance will cover this known risk at the moment
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 20, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
A lot of airlines are operating flights as cargo only too.
I did seem to recall that after I posted. I can see both sides so far as it keeps the plane operator in the air but not so good for us poor holiday makers who are grounded
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

On normal days the airline makes nearly as much from the stuff in its belly as it does from the passengers sitting on it. So many flights are still running.

As others have said anyone with the right to live in the US is not affected by the closed border. Similarly the US is a location on our quarantine list so nothing to stop them coming here if they quarantine.

The thing is if you have a full plane waiting to come to the UK, at some point you need to send an empty one there to give them something to get on to
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List