Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 26 Jul 21, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thank you so much Ladyshopper for your review. I much prefer an honest opinion rather than just telling us the best bits !
I am really not 100% on this Iona cruise but my husband really wants to go. I love my food ( hence my other post about weight ! ). The food on Royal Caribbean was fantastic and I do wonder if the P & O dining is just too tailored to the British palate.

I read that you are doing a blog. I don’t really understand these things….would I be able to read this please ?

I do hope you are feeling better have being glutened and you are looking forward to your next trip.

Thanks for reporting back.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Thank you so much Ladyshopper for your review. I much prefer an honest opinion rather than just telling us the best bits !
I am really not 100% on this Iona cruise but my husband really wants to go. I love my food ( hence my other post about weight ! ). The food on Royal Caribbean was fantastic and I do wonder if the P & O dining is just too tailored to the British palate.

I read that you are doing a blog. I don’t really understand these things….would I be able to read this please ?

I do hope you are feeling better have being glutened and you are looking forward to your next trip.

Smiles on faces I totally relate to how you feel, I am still carrying a couple of extra stone, and it’s affecting my coincidence. The food wasn’t bad it was nice, just not a huge variety. That could change by September. Paying the supplements for speciality experiences is well worth it. Food made in small kitchens does taste different to the mass produced foods. The glass house has some different dishes, have you seen the Iona menu?

I’ve been talking to my husband, again, as was tipping towards I don’t know if I want to go, yet again. He actually said I should remember that cruises of a few nights are very different to 7 night cruises. It’s July, people are looking for alternatives for their summer holidays and that may attract more of a party clientele. That’s likely to have settled a bit by September.
So again I’m trying to think it will be okay
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Originally Posted by pinkbelle View Post
Smiles on faces I totally relate to how you feel, I am still carrying a couple of extra stone, and it’s affecting my coincidence. The food wasn’t bad it was nice, just not a huge variety. That could change by September. Paying the supplements for speciality experiences is well worth it. Food made in small kitchens does taste different to the mass produced foods. The glass house has some different dishes, have you seen the Iona menu?

I’ve been talking to my husband, again, as was tipping towards I don’t know if I want to go, yet again. He actually said I should remember that cruises of a few nights are very different to 7 night cruises. It’s July, people are looking for alternatives for their summer holidays and that may attract more of a party clientele. That’s likely to have settled a bit by September.
So again I’m trying to think it will be okay
I do hope so. For what we have paid (blue light card) for a balcony cabin we could just eat in the speciality restaurants if we like. We have only cruised twice, Thomson the food was lovely and Harmony of the Seas was fantastic but we did buy a 3 night speciality dining package. I was a mean mum and our son and daughter ate in the buffet

I know what you mean about the shorter cruises maybe being a bit of a party cruise. To go on a 7 night without getting off really you need to know you like cruising.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

pocruises/content/da...nus%201-22.pdf

Taken from the P&O site, as I said food is usually good in the MDR. On Britannia the menus were a bit more condensed so not as much choice. That could change, and yes we said the same the BLC fares are a bargain, so if it busy we will eat speciality and book the retreat.
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

A blog is a bit like writing up a trip report on here, it's just that it is on it's own website! My blog address is glutenfreetravelwithme.com

It will probably take me a week to get the post up, but the one about my MSC cruise is up if you fancy a read.

They are offering the speciality restaurants at half price on the first night of the cruise (or certainly on the shorter ones) which is a real bargain, as they are already very reasonable.

We went on the second night, but that's because it was my birthday. I can't recommend Sindhu enough, the food was fantastic. I would definitely eat there again if I did another P&O cruise.
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 21, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Soon
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pinkbelle View Post
That’s tricky to answer. Prices have dropped quite, dramatically in some cases, since launch. What kind of room are you thinking of?

Why P&O have you thought about Princess? Do you have a Blue light card?

For balconies, you can book 4 nights on P & O for £400.00 p.p. For £499 pp on Princess you can book a balcony with drinks package and WiFi package.

Both lines require all guests be fully vaccinated.

Insurance is not straightforward. In brief, early on getting insurance was tricky, regular travel insurance didn’t cover these cruises. As being “UK” they were underwritten to assume that medical costs would be covered by the NHS, of course on a ship it wouldn’t be.
Both companies require same cover limits to be in place. A few months ago I personally found Cover For you provided the cover I needed.

I would get my ducks in a row before booking, my proof of covid vaccine, if in England the NHS app, and check insurance premiums.

Once doing that I would book ASAP, as others may feel the same with summer holidays being cancelled left right and centre.

I cruised in June on Britannia, it wasn’t the experience it previously was. However, I did feel safe and enjoyed the break. P&O are running a restricted drinks menu and room steward service is once per day.

Princess yet to start it’s UK sailings so we aren’t sure exactly what the experience will be like with Covid protocols. I cruise frequently with Princess and P&O my preference is Princess.
Thank you I will look at princess too.
Old 1 Aug 21, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Orlando Soon View Post
Thank you I will look at princess too.
There have been some really good prices with the various cruise agents for Princess. I'm signed up to the Travelzoo weekly email, which gives you the top deals for all kinds of holidays, and a few weeks ago there was a link on there to a Princess Cruise deal through Iglu. We actually ended up booking that cruise, albeit we booked direct as I have a blue light card, but it wasn't much cheaper than the Iglu deal.

Back to P&O, for anyone that is interested, I've now got my blog post written up about our Britannia cruise talking about our gluten-free experience!
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 21, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
A blog is a bit like writing up a trip report on here, it's just that it is on it's own website! My blog address is glutenfreetravelwithme.com

It will probably take me a week to get the post up, but the one about my MSC cruise is up if you fancy a read.

They are offering the speciality restaurants at half price on the first night of the cruise (or certainly on the shorter ones) which is a real bargain, as they are already very reasonable.

We went on the second night, but that's because it was my birthday. I can't recommend Sindhu enough, the food was fantastic. I would definitely eat there again if I did another P&O cruise.
Thank you. Really enjoyed reading your blog. Glad I know you need to book the afternoon tea. Will be booking Sindhu…hopefully at half price ! I didn’t really want to pay full for the special afternoon tea, I thought at a similar price to Epicurean it was a bit expensive so I will make sure I book the included one ! Thanks again.
Old 1 Aug 21, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

Thank you. Really enjoyed reading your blog. Glad I know you need to book the afternoon tea. Will be booking Sindhu…hopefully at half price ! I didn’t really want to pay full for the special afternoon tea, I thought at a similar price to Epicurean it was a bit expensive so I will make sure I book the included one ! Thanks again.
Thank you, glad you enjoyed it!

If you are sat in the terminal even for a couple of minutes I'd suggest trying to connect to the ship's WiFi if you can, then go on the page for the app to book Sindhu, especially if you want it on the first night.

I've read lots of reviews from people complaining they got on after 3 and everything was sold out.

We didn't get chance to see if we could connect in the terminal, as once we got there we didn't wait at all for anything, and were straight on.

We didn't need to book any speciality dining for the first night, but did make our booking for Sindhu for the 2nd night as soon as we got on. We also booked the afternoon tea as well.
Old 2 Aug 21, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

Photos appearing on Facebook from the Iona Shakedown cruise, I like the decor.