Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Summer in the Wild West of Scotland - No chicken exits here! Day 2

Summer in the Wild West of Scotland - no chicken exits here - Day 2 - 4/7/21

Index is here

Part 1

Up early as we had a wildlife cruise booked today. The cruise picked up in Tobermory and then at Kilchoan in Ardnumurchan. It wasn’t far to Kilchoan, maybe 15 miles but we allowed 45 minutes due to the single track roads.

We hadn’t been this way before, the roads were hairy at points but the scenery was awesome. We ended up only seeing about 2 cars, there was more risk from the sheep crossing the road and at one point we spotted a deer walking just off the road.

It actually didn’t take us too long to get to the ferry point in Kilchoan.

When the boat arrived the upstairs seating which was outside was all full so we needed to go inside. Once we got going though there was space at the front and side of the boat to stand outside. I loved this.

We saw a white tailed sea eagle. These can have a wing span of up to 2m. We also saw some seals.

We went to Staffa first and got a bit of a view of Fingels cave before docking, this is a bit where things went wrong for me.

I have a fear of heights and Staffa looked like a cliff face with a rock and ladder staircase that you needed to climb to get on to the island.

I should have thought about this before hand but I didn’t. The climb was ok but I was totally on edge by the time I got to the top. Don’t get me wrong the scenery was breathtaking but there were loads of sheer drops and I couldn’t get past that. I needed the chicken exits at this point but there was none.

We did have a nice walk and Ds and Dh wanted to walk round the cliff, which was halfway down the staircase of doom with what looked like a thin path from rock with no barrier and a flimsy hand rail. By the this point I was just a no so I sat and waited for them. I wish I’d done in as it looked amazing and they loved it but I just couldn’t do it. I was a bit disappointed in myself.

Once we were safely back on the boat I calmed down a bit and we were headed to the Trentish Isles.

Edited at 06:59 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 21, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Part 2

As we came in to dock you could see there wasn’t really anywhere other than a jetty type thing in the middle of the sea. We pulled up alongside that and somehow they managed to push this across to the rocky shore. You needed to walk across the rocks then up through a pass on the cliff side with a big white arrow painted on the rocks. My heart did sink a little I have to say. The rocks were fine, we live at the beach so I’m fine with that. The walk about was a bit uneven underfoot with a little bit of scrambling needed.

Once you got to the top you were rewarded with the views down and these little guys all milling about by their burrows, not in the slightest bit bothered that you were there. They are so cute, I didn’t realise puffins were so small.

They had told us we should make sure to visit the Harp Rock, which is this jaggy cliff thing sticking out in the background of the picture.

Great more heights and narrow ledges. I didn’t want to miss this though so on I went, Ds was telling me how well I was doing, sure it’s meant to be the other way around. Lol. On our trek at one point very close to the edge I was loudly squawked at by I think a shag nesting in some rocks, I let out a giant Yelp and the other 2 thought this was hilarious! Most of the walk was fine but there were a few very hairy bits a bit too close to the edge for me!

You could hear the birds before you saw them, there were thousands of guillemots on the cliff face. It was incredible and indeed well worth the walk of death! I’ve never seen anything like it. We sat snd had some good watching them. There were also lots of puffins popping up here and there at the side of the grass.

Before we’d gone we watched a program, my life in the wild, about a wildlife camera man and photographer , Hamza Yassin. He was on Lunga chatting away with everyone. It’s a really good program especially if you are interested in the west highlands, it was on all 4 when we watched it. To be honest before we watched it we had very little idea of what the area was like.

The walk back from the Harp Rock was fine. It was roasting on Lunga, the water was crystal clear and it was beautifully peaceful. We wandered to see the deserted village and then went and sat on the grass to watch the puffins for a little longer before heading down to get back on the boat. I can’t believe we have no internet ( other than WiFi in half the cottage) and no phone signal but we had 4 bars of 4g on an uninhabited island.

I really felt for a couple of the older tourists on the trip who were struggling with the rocky shore to get back to the boat, the guys on the boat came on to the island to give them a hand.

As we left a cheeky seal had climbed up onto the pontoon and it looked as if it was waving us off.

The sail back was great and I stood outside in the sunshine at the front of the boat for most of the way. We all really enjoyed the cruise.

On the way back we saw more cars than on the way there. We got Dh to stop at a little car park where you could walk down to a bay called Camas Nan Geall .

You walked all the way down through farm fields and right at the bottom before the bay there was a megalith. There were some people wild camping.

Ds was fancying some wild swimming and I might have been up for it had we not spotted this monstrosity lying in the sand!

Eek! Imagine meeting that in the water. Ds decided he would paddle instead but didn’t get very far. It started raining. The water was freezing and he was worried about big jellyfish. At least he tried. Sure we will find somewhere good to swim before the week is up.

It was a pretty tiring walk back up the Hill on top of all the walking we’d done. My Apple Watch said I’d climbed 38 flights of stairs today.

Shattered, we had a m&s Indian for dinner and watched terminator with a packet of wispa bites. Living the dream! Loving my view from the living room.

Edited at 05:17 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 21, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

We are lucky to live near an RSPB site, aren't puffins the most beautiful birds.
RSPB Scotland Fowlsheugh if anyone is up in the NE of Scotland.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 21, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The wildlife cruise looks amazing and I can’t believe how many puffins you managed to see - sooo cute. I am impressed by how brave you were, I do not love heights either so I totally feel your pain.

Every single picture is just beautiful, what a stunning part of the world. I love an M&S dinner - looks delicious!
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 21, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Fab day You were so brave I really don't think I could of done the stairs on the rock!
Old 15 Jul 21, 05:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Lots of stunning photos of the beaches, birds and beautiful sky. It looks like a glorious day.

I have to say that I would not have been able to climb up those stairs cut into the cliff face. Oh my word! I'm fine on Hulk, but those stairs, no thank you!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Frankie & gang
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Rescuer, It’s so lovely to read a trip report!
It looks stunning & lovely pictures!
Old 15 Jul 21, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
A fantastic day for you all. That Wildlife cruise is on my bucket list, though DH isn't a great sailor. He has indulged me over the years, so we have been once to Staffa, from Iona (hope you get there too, it's magical.) I seem to remember the boat picks you up at different place from where it drops you, due to timing between the swells.
Old 15 Jul 21, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by storm View Post
We are lucky to live near an RSPB site, aren't puffins the most beautiful birds.
RSPB Scotland Fowlsheugh if anyone is up in the NE of Scotland.
They are so cute. We’ve been to the seabird center at North Berwick but nothing compared to how impressive Lunga was. What’s the site like near you?

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
The wildlife cruise looks amazing and I can’t believe how many puffins you managed to see - sooo cute. I am impressed by how brave you were, I do not love heights either so I totally feel your pain.

Every single picture is just beautiful, what a stunning part of the world. I love an M&S dinner - looks delicious!
Thanks, I felt fairly pathetic on Staffa so upped my bravery levels for Lunga😂

You are right the whole area was stunning, I took so many pictures but they don’t do it justice.

Originally Posted by P&S View Post
Fab day You were so brave I really don't think I could of done the stairs on the rock!
Thanks for saying that. I was pretty sure that I was just a total coward at the time. If you don’t like heights don’t go being persuaded to climb Arthur Seat when you come up to Edinburgh for Hogmanay. Give me a shout if you need any Edinburgh tips.

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Lots of stunning photos of the beaches, birds and beautiful sky. It looks like a glorious day.

I have to say that I would not have been able to climb up those stairs cut into the cliff face. Oh my word! I'm fine on Hulk, but those stairs, no thank you!
Yes, I’m the same, Hulk, Kraken etc not an issue but I like to be strapped in, I can’t do real life heights…

Originally Posted by Frankie & gang View Post
Rescuer, It’s so lovely to read a trip report!
It looks stunning & lovely pictures!
Thanks for reading, it’s lovely to be writing a trip report too. I hope you get your trip to New York.

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
A fantastic day for you all. That Wildlife cruise is on my bucket list, though DH isn't a great sailor. He has indulged me over the years, so we have been once to Staffa, from Iona (hope you get there too, it's magical.) I seem to remember the boat picks you up at different place from where it drops you, due to timing between the swells.
We didn’t manage to Iona this time but I’d be keen to visit there in the future. The cruise was great, even with my fear of heights 😂 Really well run cruise.

Edited at 02:53 PM.
Old 23 Jan 22, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
karalma
Imagineer

I hate walking across rocks but apart from that it looked like an amazing day.
karalma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List