Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 29 Jul 21, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

Have been to Jamaica twice - stayed in a 5 star hotel and went on a few trips.

I agree with the posts above that suggest its a bit more down market than the other islands.

Put it this way - we walked up the hotel driveway on our first trip - all of a sudden two, armed security guards ran up to us and told us not to leave the property on our own - they were very insistant we turned back and moved away from the front gate !

We just had a laugh about it and didnt feel threatend while we were there but as with many places, you need to know what areas to avoid etc.
Old 1 Aug 21, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
When we went a very fit young man, bodybuilder got mugged for his trainers in the hotel grounds. Didn’t feel confident going anywhere independently but organised tours were fine.
Lola is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
We haven't gone with Riu we are at Royalton, it was a hard choice tho.
We were originally going to Riu Palace in Costa Rica but sadly that's red.

I should recognize him he'll be the one in an Armani suit and Gucci loafers. Or maybe not.
This will amuse the ladies, he said he betted I was the type of person who flew in flowery tops and tights. Is that shorthand for something? I told him I didn't wear tights because of my flip flops. (I do have a lovely flowery top with pockets though. 😂 Perfect for flying).
Are you staying at the Royalton Negril? We’ve just booked a week there for the second half of our Jamaica trip 😍 hoping it’s as beautiful in the flesh as it looks on the website!
Robyn89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Robyn89 View Post
Are you staying at the Royalton Negril? We’ve just booked a week there for the second half of our Jamaica trip 😍 hoping it’s as beautiful in the flesh as it looks on the website!
We are here now and it's amazing. I don't think sophisticated is a word I'd use about any Caribbean Resort but it's beautiful, upmarket and worth the money.
I don't do trippies ever but I have posted photos on Sandra's happy picture thread. The rooms are amazing with separate toilets, shower rooms and a whirlpool bath in the room. I think the build of the hotel ensures every one has a sea view. There are only three hotels in our cove then round the corner is Seven Mile Beach so it feels pretty exclusive. We are under curfew for Covid but only husband and son have sent security as they run at stupid o'clock and they just have to give names and room numbers, apparently they barely break their stride.

We has incredible storms yesterday afternoon and we got soaked, dreadful even for people used to Florida.

I was very surprised that Jamaica was never English as they drive on the left. Their road system leaves a lot to be desired!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

[QUOTE=EssexSue;15082170
I was very surprised that Jamaica was never English as they drive on the left[/QUOTE]

Jamaica was an English/British colony for 300 years until the 1960’s.

The Queen (Elizabeth II) is also Queen of Jamaica, a constitutional Commonwealth role she’s held since 1962 when Jamaica gained independance. On her death, Charles will become King of Jamaica.

Edited at 10:00 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I was very surprised that Jamaica was never English as they drive on the left. Their road system leaves a lot to be desired!
It was Spanish originally, and then British governed. It has a history of rebellion, over the centuries, as a result of the many disenfranchised natives & slaves that were cut out by the British and Jamaican upper classes from the wealth created through sugar production. Poverty is sadly the main driver of crime, even today, and bribery of officials (including the Police) is unfortunately fairly common place.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Jamaica was an English/British colony for 300 years until the 1960’s.

The Queen (Elizabeth II) is also Queen of Jamaica, a constitutional Commonwealth role!
Thank you. We nearly went to get in the wrong side of the coach at the airport.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jdybnsn View Post
It was Spanish originally, and then British governed. It has a history of rebellion, over the centuries, as a result of the many disenfranchised natives & slaves that were cut out by the British and Jamaican upper classes from the wealth created through sugar production. Poverty is sadly the main driver of crime, even today, and bribery of officials (including the Police) is unfortunately fairly common place.
We have no intention of wandering round the poorer and more dangerous areas, nor would we visit the back streets of Florida, London or any other major city. We did our research and we think we have chosen well.
Old 3 Aug 21, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Sue I hope you are having a wonderful time! Have a cocktail for me please

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 21, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Sounds fantastic Sue.

Jamaica is the one island that has got my interest out of them all, hence my surprise when I started looking as I usually have a habit of choosing the most expensive. 😂😂

Not been put off it at all & talking to a Jamaican friend has made me more excited, I’m now almost hoping our Florida flights are cancelled 😮

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List