Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 19 Nov 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Day 2 - Saturday 2nd November 2019 - The Polite Pig, Amorette's Patisserie & Publix Chicken

We were awake before daylight today so decided to get up and sit by the pool overlooking the conservation area to the rear of our villa. We thought we might see more wildlife early on before the sun came up. We started the day with a donut each, washed down with a cup of tea for Neil and coffee for me. It was so peaceful sitting out there but unfortunately there wasn’t much to see today apart from some little birds.

Once ready, we headed out to Disney Springs with no real plan on where we wanted to eat. We parked in the Lime Garage so as we came down the stairs, The Polite Pig was right there. Neil said he remembered that I had wanted to eat here, so we had a look at the menu and decided to go in. It was approaching 11am and they were just opening so we joined the short line.

We both went for items “From the Smoker”. Pork Shoulder (prime rub) for Neil, with Mac and Cheese as his side, and Prime Brisket (coffee rub) for me with Crispy Brussels Sprouts. In hindsight, this probably wasn’t the best choice of restaurant for us, as Neil doesn’t really like smoky barbeque type flavours and he only suggested eating here as he knew I really wanted to try it. As a result, he only ate a little of his pork. He said it had a strange, sweet taste. He enjoyed the Mac and Cheese though, although it wasn’t as good as the one he had at Longhorns. He said the best thing was the corn bread, and finished mine off too as I didn’t like the grainy texture. My brisket was tasty and I finished it all, although I did find the flavour to be a little sharp. The Brussels Sprouts in whiskey caramel were nice enough, but I didn’t enjoy them as much as I thought I would, and I could definitely taste the sweetness of the caramel. I thought the coleslaw was really nice. We both had a soda to drink, Coke for Neil and Sprite for me. Total $44.73.

All in all, we found this to be expensive for what it was. It’s probably good value on the dining plan, but not so much when paying out of pocket. We found the service to be good, with our meals arriving very quickly after we had ordered and the staff were quite attentive, stopping by our table several times to offer sauces and drinks top ups.

After a nice wander around Disney Springs, we stopped by Amorette’s Patisserie to pick up some cakes for later. All of the cakes in here are so pretty, unfortunately my photos don’t do them justice as they display cabinets were fogged up a bit.

After much deliberation, our choices were:

Neil - Mickey Mousse (chocolate chiffon cake with white chocolate mousse and dark chocolate mousse).

Me - Amorette’s Rose (chocolate biscuit with dark chocolate mousse and raspberry sauce).

We didn’t eat these until later in the evening, but they were so delicious and decadent. The Mickey Mousse was so light, and had many lovely touches, from the beautiful shiny red jelly like dome to the rich dark chocolate surrounding the base.

The Rose was filled with a really rich chocolate mousse, and had a cherry jelly in the middle. It was absolutely delicious and we both agreed that whilst expensive, they were worth every penny as a treat. They were even packaged up beautifully, in a box and then a nice bag too. If any of you have seen Love Actually, when the server was packaging them up it reminded me of when Rowan Atkinson’s character is wrapping up a necklace for Alan Rickmans character and is adding all sorts of gift wrap and extra bits to the packaging. Total $18.11.

On our way home from Disney Springs, we stopped by Walmart because we remembered that we had bought bread for sandwiches but no cold meat. We got some sliced turkey from the deli, total $1.27.

After sitting by the pool (and possibly napping a while out there) for the afternoon, we couldn’t be bothered to go out for dinner. We decided instead to pop to Publix at Berry Town Center to pick up some chicken pieces and some other bits. I fancied having some salad with my chicken and Neil wanted mayonnaise, so we got those along with some wine for later. I thought the salad bowl was expensive at the time, but I had loads of it on my plate and barely made a dent in the contents of the container as it’s really tightly packed in. It would easily feed a family of four or even more as a side.

I had 2 chicken tenders with my salad and Neil had 4 with a dollop of mayo but no salad. As always, the chicken tenders were hot and tasty, and remain one of our favourite foods to pick up in Publix. It was nice to have a more relaxed tea. Total Publix spend $26.84.

We enjoyed the rest of the evening drinking wine in the spa after watching the sun set across the conservation area, before coming in to eat our lovely cakes from Amorettes.

Total food spend today $90.95.

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022

Edited at 08:59 PM.
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Day 3 - Sunday 3rd November 2019 - Bob Evans & Applebees

We knew we wanted to eat breakfast out today but we didn’t know where. After consulting my emails we decided on Bob Evans as I had a coupon for $4 off a $20 spend that would run out in a couple of days. We were ready to leave the villa about 9am and headed for the one on the US27 near Posner Park. There was a short waiting list and we were told we would have a table in 15-20 minutes, but we didn’t wait that long before we were called.

I ordered The Original Farmer - Tastes like a classic! Your favourite farm-famous breakfast meat, two fresh-cracked eggs cooked to order and your choice of home fries, hash browns or grits. Served with three hot cakes, two slices of brioche french toast or one crepe.

I chose ham as my meat, home fries and the french toast. It was all lovely, I love their home fries, they were so nicely seasoned. I usually choose the hot cakes, but I was so pleased I had the french toast this time as it was delicious, lightly flavoured with cinnamon.

Neil had Sirloin Steak & Eggs - Marinated USDA choice sirloin, two fresh-cracked eggs cooked to order and your choice of hash browns, home fries or grits.

He chose the home fries and toast. He really enjoyed this, the steak was tender and cooked to perfection. We had a few coffees each as well. Bob Evans is one of our favourites for breakfast, and once more it didn’t let us down.

Total was $27.03 but with my coupon we paid $22.73 plus tip.

Whilst sitting by the pool around lunchtime, we had some drinks. Pepsi for Neil, and I had Hawaiian Punch. Neil also finished off our last Walmart donut. He followed up with a few Bud Lite Lime’s while he was watching the Grand Prix and we had some strawberries.

Since it was my driving day, we chose Applebee’s at Berry Town Center for tea as it’s only a short drive from the villa. We ordered from the 2 for $22 menu - Mozzarella sticks to start, then Riblets with fries for me and Buffalo Chicken Sandwich with fries for Neil, although he tweaked it by leaving out the pickles and ranch and wing sauces.

Our drinks soon arrived. Neil had a Coors Light mega beer and I had strawberry lemonade.

When our server brought our starter, we were disappointed to be told that they had run out of marinara sauce, so we had the mozzarella sticks dry. They’re really nice anyway, but are so much better with the sauce.

We then waited ages for our main courses to turn up. Our server was nowhere to be seen for quite some time. When they arrived, our meals were fine, but not brilliant. Neil said the chicken burger was good, better than he expected! I’ve had ribs plenty of times but never riblets. There was much more meat on the riblets, and the honey BBQ sauce was nice. The fries were nice enough if a little bland. We felt that more than the food, the service really let this meal down. By the time we had paid (using the on the table card machine - the server didn’t bring the bill) and left, our server still hadn’t cleared our starter plates away, and she just seemed “absent” both physically and mentally. Total $32.94 plus a smaller tip than we would normally leave due to the poor service.

We had some drinks once home, Neil finished off our wine and I had one of my bottled cocktails, Classic Lime Margarita.

Total food spend today $55.67.

Edited at 09:00 PM.
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Was interested to look at longhorns and polite pig as that’s on my to do list.
We didn’t like Applebee’s at the same location either. Nor did we like Denny’s but we went to the 192 one.

Have added bob Evans to my list. Thanks for the inspiration 😁
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 19, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Love Neil’s beer glass... my husband would be loving that... somewhere to consider for next time I think
Old 20 Nov 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
You should have said yesterday that you'd started this I'm very cross that I'm a day behind! I was on my phone so the signatures don't show up otherwise I'd have spotted the link.

Great start thought, I love the strawberry and lime cider. Looked great, even if the lasagne wasnt quite up to par.

A fab first day in Florida though with Dennys for breakfast and then Longhorns for dinner. It's got to be the Flo's Filet hasn't it? Although I like mine with the loaded potato as opposed to the Mac and cheese. I do like the strawberry margs there too. Seems I'm all about the drinks . You looked like you were enjoying it in the photo.

I can't wait to see what other food and drink delights you had. I'm well and truly on board now.
Hey Abby, welcome along. In my defence, I didn't think you would have any interest in offsite dining since you stay onsite .

Absolutely, got to be Flo's, I don't think I've ever had anything else at Longhorn . It's a really nice strawberry marg there, and I'm pretty sure the server gave me the long pour as I got a second full glass out of the shaker he left on the table.

Edited at 09:02 PM.
Old 20 Nov 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Was interested to look at longhorns and polite pig as that’s on my to do list.
We didn’t like Applebee’s at the same location either. Nor did we like Denny’s but we went to the 192 one.

Have added bob Evans to my list. Thanks for the inspiration 😁
We find that particular Applebees a bit hit or miss. We've had some great meals and service there and also some not so good. We really like Denny's, it's one of our favourites. We've been to the one at Summer Bay on the 192, I think there is another one further along too. We found the Summer Bay one a bit run down looking but the food and service was fine. That's a few years ago now, it might have had a makeover since then.

Hopefully some more inspiration to come... there's so many places to eat out there, we didn't manage every place that we had planned.

Originally Posted by jools1302 View Post
Love Neil’s beer glass... my husband would be loving that... somewhere to consider for next time I think
Haha, he loved the beer glass as well. Definitely give Applebees a try, maybe not that one at Berry though. As I said above, it can be a bit variable. There's one on the 192, across from Rolling Oaks, and one a lot further along nearer Medieval Times. Probably several on I-Drive as well. The "2 for $" menus are really good value, and they sometimes have $1 dollar cocktails, but unfortunately for me they didn't have any on when we were there.

Old 20 Nov 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Day 4 - Monday 4th November 2019 - Keke’s, Charley’s Philly Steaks & Chili’s

We were headed up to the Orlando Gun Club on Vineland Road today, so decided to have breakfast at Keke’s in Dr. Phillips as it wasn’t much of a detour off the road. We haven’t been to Keke’s before but I had heard good things about it and had wanted to try it for a while.

We were given a buzzer at the front desk and told it would be around a 15 minute wait. We sat outside and looked at the Menu while we were waiting.

In the end we only waited between 5-10 minutes and we were shown to a booth. We were impressed straight away by the cleanliness of the place, and I liked the sparkly tables. We started with coffee of course.

Neil ordered the Florida Waffle - topped with fresh strawberries, banana, blueberries and powdered sugar. He asked for the blueberries to be left off and there was an option to add fresh cream, which he did.

I ordered a waffle too. Banana Split Waffle - banana, pineapple, fresh strawberries in glaze, chocolate fudge syrup and pecans. I also added the fresh cream.

We both agreed that these were really good. It was so much food, and I took ages to finish but we both enjoyed our waffles very much. They each had loads of fruit and cream and the staff were just the right amount of attentive. Keke’s with a definite hit with us. Total $26.69 plus tip.

After our shooting experience, we popped over to the Vineland Premium Outlets. I was thirsty and wanted to get a drink but we ended up with food as well. While we were in the line at Charley’s Philly Steaks, they were handing out samples of their Chicken California subs (chicken, provolone, ranch). We tried a sample each ad liked it so we ordered one to share. It was very tasty and we had it along with a strawberry lemonade which I loved, and polished off as Neil decided he didn’t like it after one sip. Total $11.70.

On our way home from the outlets, we stopped at Chili’s at Cagan Crossings, which is just 2 minutes from the villa we’re renting at High Grove. We used to love Chili’s and for a long time it was our family tradition to eat lunch there on our first day before doing our big Walmart shop. However, a few years ago we had a bad experience there where the food was just terrible so we stopped going. I’ve read some favourable reviews of it recently, so we’ve decided to give it a try again. Not really relevant to the report, but here are the girls way back on our first visit in 2010 at the same Chili’s.

They would not be happy if they knew I posted this pic"

We ordered drinks while we looked at the menu. Coke for Neil (it’s his driving day) and a Captain’s Castaway cocktail for me. - Captain Morgan original spiced rum, Malibu coconut rum, fresh sour, mango puree & pineapple juice. It was delicious, really fresh and fruity. We ordered an appetiser at the same time - Bottomless Tostada Chips - Extra thin authentic corn tostada chips made fresh daily. Served with salsa. These were very nice and lightly salted. The salsa had a bit of a kick and these kept us busy until our mains arrived.

Some menu pics:

Big Mouth Bites - bite-sized at its best. 4 mini burgers with bacon, American cheese, sauteed onions, house made ranch. This was Neil’s choice, and came with fries. He said the burgers were nice enough, but not as good as the Checkers burger he had on our first night. It was very filling and he didn’t manage to finish all of the fries.

I had Chicken Fajitas. Served sizzling with chipotle butter, fresh cilantro and grilled bell peppers and onions. Served with Mexican rice, black beans and flour tortillas. Sour cream, pico, salsa & shredded cheese included on the side. Guacamole served upon request.

This portion was huge, and could easily be shared between 2 people. I only managed 2 of the tortillas (there were 4) and ate some more of the chicken and accompaniments on their own. There was a mound of onions and peppers under all of the chicken. Look how much chicken, it was far too much! However, it was all very tasty, and I particularly liked the black beans.

We both enjoyed our meals, and would return to Chili's again, although I think Neil might choose differently.

Total $43.19 plus tip.

On our way home, we went into the liquor store at Walmart to pick up some more wine. We had some drinks in the spa, and throughout the evening to finish off our lovely day.

Total food spend today $81.58

Old 20 Nov 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Those waffles look delicious
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Oh we went to that same Keke’s but it was a sunday morning so the queue was long and it was the day we handed the car back too so we were a bit anxious about time so we didn’t wait ☹️ Your breakfast looks amazing... its a definate for us next time
Old 21 Nov 19, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordie Al
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
We find that particular Applebees a bit hit or miss. We've had some great meals and service there and also some not so good.
Haha, he loved the beer glass as well. Definitely give Applebees a try, maybe not that one at Berry though. As I said above, it can be a bit variable. There's one on the 192, across from Rolling Oaks, and one a lot further along nearer Medieval Times. Probably several on I-Drive as well. The "2 for $" menus are really good value, and they sometimes have $1 dollar cocktails, but unfortunately for me they didn't have any on when we were there.
We go to the Applebees at Berry and while the service can be questionable the food has always been good (their Nachos are amazing).
However I had heard nothing good about the one opposite Rolling Oaks. In fact it makes Berry look like a two star Michelin restaurant! So people might want to avoid that one.
On a more positive note got to love a Megabeer. My DW had one in September as I was on driver duty . Hopefully they will still be there next year so I can sample one