Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 7 Oct 17, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We just visited Iceland in early Sept as part of our cruise.
We were with another couple who had hired a car... so can't help on tour companies I'm afraid. We did the golden circle tour but just the 4 of us and saw way more than those on organised trips - fabulous place but obviously winter conditions will be very different.
However it's VERY expensive £20 for 2 teas and 2 coffees... everywhere. £15 for a bowl of soup and a roll 😲😲😲😲😲.

We all took sandwiches we'd made up at breakfast - im not sure we could have afforded to eat anywhere for the 3 separate days we were there.

You'll have a fab time but just be prepared for the £££.

Katie x

Edited at 09:34 PM.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 18, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
We just visited Iceland in early Sept as part of our cruise.
We were with another couple who had hired a car... so can't help on tour companies I'm afraid. We did the golden circle tour but just the 4 of us and saw way more than those on organised trips - fabulous place but obviously winter conditions will be very different.
However it's VERY expensive £20 for 2 teas and 2 coffees... everywhere. £15 for a bowl of soup and a roll 😲😲😲😲😲.

We all took sandwiches we'd made up at breakfast - im not sure we could have afforded to eat anywhere for the 3 separate days we were there.

You'll have a fab time but just be prepared for the £££.

Katie x
Thanks for the reply. Was just coming back to read the thread again for any hints and tips, I had missed your reply! Looks like we might need to fill up at breakfast time then, at least it’s a buffet that’s included at our hotel so we can try and stock up! Thanks for the heads up!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 02:30 AM  
Link to this Post
catsandtrees
Imagineer

Hi, we used Extreme Iceland and did a 2 day tour with them which was amazing.

Here's a few of my favourite pics taken whilst on the tour which also included a glacier walk. We did the blue lagoon but drove ourself there.

This was March last year. One of the best holidays I have ever had.

We hired a car for a few days as well.

We made it all the way to Jokulsarlon Lagoon which is now my favourite place on earth.

Yes it's expensive but a little chilly but amazing.

Hope you have a fab time.

2013 - Sorry kids no trip this year
May 2014 - NYC & Florida trip but no report
2015 - "really mum, no trip again!"
July 2016 - HRH/RPR/Villa - Yay
September 2016 - me and my dad go to Amsterdam
March 2017 - me and my sister go to Iceland
August 2017 - mums 70th birthday surprise family holiday to Lanzarote
catsandtrees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Solstice Tours were wonderful. We did the Northern Lights and Golden Circle with him. Extremely plush, comfortable minibus and personal service.

Company is run by a lovely guy called John Frosti. He took us out for Northern Lights when other companies were cancelling and knew exactly where to go. Stunning lights and a flask of the best hot chocolate ever. When we returned he sent us all the photos he'd taken on his camera - far far better than those we took on our phones!

Golden Circle was wonderful and we went to a lot of places other companies did not go to, as well as the expected ones.

Look them up on Trip Adviser, which is where I found them. solstice.is/

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post

Watch the "Marigold" bunch the other night and have decided we so want to do Iceland. We, too, would want to tour although we will probably hire a car. I also want to do the whale watching. We did it in Monterey, California and i was transfixed. The only thing is take plenty of money. There cost of living is high!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Catsandtrees - super, stunning photos, than you! You must have an amazing camera!

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Solstice Tours were wonderful. We did the Northern Lights and Golden Circle with him. Extremely plush, comfortable minibus and personal service.

Company is run by a lovely guy called John Frosti. He took us out for Northern Lights when other companies were cancelling and knew exactly where to go. Stunning lights and a flask of the best hot chocolate ever. When we returned he sent us all the photos he'd taken on his camera - far far better than those we took on our phones!

Golden Circle was wonderful and we went to a lot of places other companies did not go to, as well as the expected ones.

Look them up on Trip Adviser, which is where I found them. solstice.is/
Thank you, I will look them up

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
Watch the "Marigold" bunch the other night and have decided we so want to do Iceland. We, too, would want to tour although we will probably hire a car. I also want to do the whale watching. We did it in Monterey, California and i was transfixed. The only thing is take plenty of money. There cost of living is high!
I'll have to see if I can get it on catch up, thanks! I like the idea of whale watching too but my dh gets super sea sick and I'm not sure it would be enjoyable for him at all, so we may not do this although it is a possibility!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
thebig40
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
We have a trip to Reykjavik booked for next February. We will be staying in the centre but want to get out and about but won't be hiring a car.

Can anyone recommend a particular tour or company that they went with? I know quite a few people have been so would like suggestions or ones to avoid if necessary! I have been looking online but there is too much choice

I think we would like to do the Golden Circle, maybe a Northern Lights tour and also one of the lagoons. Or are there any other must see's or must do's?!

Thank you
We used Grayline, they were great, cannot fault them. Clean modern coaches, friendly staff, good communication. They have discounts if you book more than one tour with them too. We did the Mystery Northern Lights tour, The Classic Golden Circle, Whale watching and Blue Lagoon plus transport to and from the airport.
thebig40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
catsandtrees
Imagineer

Mobile

[QUOTE=Glee Fan;13003391]Catsandtrees - super, stunning photos, than you! You must have an amazing camera!

Bought myself a nice Nikon for the trip
2013 - Sorry kids no trip this year
May 2014 - NYC & Florida trip but no report
2015 - "really mum, no trip again!"
July 2016 - HRH/RPR/Villa - Yay
September 2016 - me and my dad go to Amsterdam
March 2017 - me and my sister go to Iceland
August 2017 - mums 70th birthday surprise family holiday to Lanzarote
catsandtrees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List