Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Feb 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

anyway it's "World BOOK day" not "World dress up as your favourite book character day" - If it's all about encouraging reading they really shoudl just be getting each child to bring in their favourite book, allow them to spend some personal time at school reading it (doesn't have to be long does it) or discussing each other books in groups giving everyone else a quick over view of the story and then each class selecting one book (or the teacher pulling a name of the book out of a hat) and the school seeing if they can get a copy of the book to read to the class over the comming weeks (or in one sitting if it's just a short book )

Anyway I think that would be a much better option
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by OLS View Post
anyway it's "World BOOK day" not "World dress up as your favourite book character day" - If it's all about encouraging reading they really shoudl just be getting each child to bring in their favourite book, allow them to spend some personal time at school reading it (doesn't have to be long does it) or discussing each other books in groups giving everyone else a quick over view of the story and then each class selecting one book (or the teacher pulling a name of the book out of a hat) and the school seeing if they can get a copy of the book to read to the class over the comming weeks (or in one sitting if it's just a short book )

Anyway I think that would be a much better option
They do . My dd has to come in pyjamas and bring her favourite book .
They then choose one child’s book to read in the afternoon to the whole class.
Dd is bringing The Twits but it’s quite long so doubt her book will be chosen sadly .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PumpkinKitty View Post
They do . My dd has to come in pyjamas and bring her favourite book .
They then choose one child’s book to read in the afternoon to the whole class.
Dd is bringing The Twits but it’s quite long so doubt her book will be chosen sadly .
you mean they do at your school - which is brilliant! Just not at most schools, mine included or any of my friends kids in the district or my family's young children who live all over the country - unfortunatley it seems few and far between the ones who do that!
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
JellyEllieBean
Imagineer

A friend of mine gets a cheap plain white t-shirt and with fabric pens draws her child’s favourite book or writes the books name on the front and then World Book Day 2018 on the back. She showed us a picture from last year, she said he struggles to get her kids to dress up and with ideas, but I thought the t-shirt was a great idea as it meant the kids could get involved.
Old 23 Feb 18, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ems35
Apprentice Imagineer

im with you i think its ridiculous too!

ours have to be whatever the school thinks is ok nothing sporty so cant have sporty hero its madness

My 10yr old hates dressing up but hes going as a demon dentist like the book hes got a tunic (from a midwife friend) some gloves and a face mask ive bought cheap dental tools and sprayed them with fake blood left over from halloween lol, its worked out quite cheap which is always good, but i do wish schools wouldnt do this every yr

Em
Old 23 Feb 18, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I went to school in the 50's so nothing fun at all happened in my school, so I would have loved this as a kid.
Old 23 Feb 18, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Pixiedust40
Imagineer

I mind because it’s creates a divide as far as I can see between the kids that have and have not - so to speak and that makes me feel sad for them and drives me crackers in equal measure.