Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 25 May 17, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
3family
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by WDWMAD View Post
I haven't got a problem tipping, I ALWAYS TIP, I'm just a bit concerned that we are expected to tip the full amount on meals costing a lot of money, what if the service isn't great?
It doesn't matter.

I can't afford to eat at the top restaurants when tip is included, so I don't book them

Again, you know the rule. It's your decision on whether you want to pay it or not
3family is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

I haven't got a problem tipping, I ALWAYS TIP, I'm just a bit concerned that we are expected to tip the full amount on meals costing a lot of money, what if the service isn't great?
Then that's different but you didn't say that.

From the OP it read as you were basing it on the expense of the meal alone.

If spending a lot on a meal means that you aren't in a position to leave an appropriate tip then apologies you can't afford to eat there. The tip is part of the meal.

And what if, people like myself, didn't have information like that, which is why I can't understand the 'getting angry' part.
To be fair - it's up to you to do your research on local customs when visiting countries.

Edited at 03:12 PM.
MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

If the service isn't great don't tip as much. Or if it's really bad don't tip at all but let them know why. If the food is the problem though that shouldn't affect what % tip you leave as that's not the servers fault.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWMAD
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by MissFortune View Post
To be fair - it's up to you to do your research on local customs when visiting countries.
Hence, starting this thread to ask the question in the first place. All it needed was a "yes, even if the bill comes to $200 you still tip the full 18%" which I got off your first post in the thread which made sense.
WDWMAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
3family
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Hence, starting this thread to ask the question in the first place. All it needed was a "yes, even if the bill comes to $200 you still tip the full 18%" which I got off your first post in the thread which made sense.
To be fair, you've asked other questions since
3family is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I cannot believe that there are many many brits, who having paid for their holiday of a lifetime, have absolutely no idea about the tipping procedure in the USA.

So by definition there are many who do not tip, or tip less than they should.

This is not a crime.

If as other posters have suggested is indirect robbery, then the US Government should make it a mandatory Question on the ESTA, that you promise to pay the maximum tip in restaurants. This would raise the awareness amongst the uninformed brits.

I wonder if all the other cultures that choose to holiday in the USA also adhere to this 'rule?

Everything we do in life is discretionary, we either choose to do it or not. For thise things that are mandatory there is a written law or rule.

Without a written law or rule, tipping will remain discretionary. The person who should know this more than anyone should be the server, who should work for their tip, at the discretion of the customer.

Disney332
Old 25 May 17, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

I think the expectation in that case is to bring it to the attention of manager for example and get a solution you are happy with , for example drinks or dessert comped , rather than not tip or give a low tip. We have dining plan and will factor in a few hundred dollars and keep it seperately in my mind for tips! If it were the service in particular which was abysmal i would leave a low tip and put a frowny face beside it on bill to let them know why.

Edited at 03:28 PM.
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
I cannot believe that there are many many brits, who having paid for their holiday of a lifetime, have absolutely no idea about the tipping procedure in the USA.

So by definition there are many who do not tip, or tip less than they should.

This is not a crime.

If as other posters have suggested is indirect robbery, then the US Government should make it a mandatory Question on the ESTA, that you promise to pay the maximum tip in restaurants. This would raise the awareness amongst the uninformed brits.

I wonder if all the other cultures that choose to holiday in the USA also adhere to this 'rule?

Everything we do in life is discretionary, we either choose to do it or not. For thise things that are mandatory there is a written law or rule.

Without a written law or rule, tipping will remain discretionary. The person who should know this more than anyone should be the server, who should work for their tip, at the discretion of the customer.

Disney332
No one has said it's a crime, but it is why the Brits have the reputation, especially in the tourist areas, as being a bunch of cheapskates, that don't tip and always want discounts or have coupons.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
But you have stolen part of their pay for the evening.
If you have a job where the income is dependent on discretionary payments, yes discretionary, not mandatory ( no law or written rule on the wall of the establishment or footnote on the menu), then if you rely upon these discretionary payments, it might be time to find a job where this is not the case.

Disney332
Old 25 May 17, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
No one has said it's a crime, but it is why the Brits have the reputation, especially in the tourist areas, as being a bunch of cheapskates, that don't tip and always want discounts or have coupons.
Then make it a rule or a condition of dining

Disney332