Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I've 'accidentally' booked a trip to Boston - day 4 29th December 2017

Day 4 29th December 2017 Boston Tea Party, Common, Library and 2 Irish Pubs

We all woke up around 7am and spent some time on our tablets just chilling out in the room. Housekeeping had left us with 3 proper coffee pods and 1 decaf, so we both had a good coffee and then we played roulette with the 2nd round and neither of us knew who would be getting the good stuff. When I tasted mine I was fairly confident it was the decaf .

The kids and DH had cereal for breakfast and the news was showing the temperature ranging from -16 celsius to a high of -10 today, but there was less of a wind chill. We got ourselves wrapped up and caught the hotel shuttle to Kendall Square so that we could ride the subway to South Station.

We walked down to the site of the Boston Tea Party.

DS joked about throwing DD over the bridge into the water and sort of made a lunge at her. I was not best pleased about this ‘joke’ and failed to see the funny side. This then meant that DS was in rather a large strop as he didn’t see why I was telling him off for joking about throwing DD into the freezing water. His bad mood managed to hang around for a couple of hours but we soldiered on through.

We walked back via some shops and we were aiming for Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall. By the time we got there we were all hungry and were tempted by many of the food stalls. It was really busy and as we were walking through the seating area we realised there was nowhere to sit and that we would end up having to all grab food and either go outside in the cold or stand around waiting for someone else to leave…well we weren’t too impressed with either of those plans as we were all a bit tired and wanted a proper sit down. We decided to try out Ned Devine’s Tavern which is at the far end of the market.

I had Angry Orchard cider. DH had a Guinness. Both the kids had cokes.

We shared pretzels and fondue cheese for a starter. We absolutely devoured this it was delicious.

If you can imagine the Mickey head pretzels and the little pots of runny cheese then, well, what we were eating was nothing like that! This was so tasty that we were almost fighting over it. Who am I kidding we practically licked the bowl clean, DD and DH even used the little bits of lettuce (garnish) to scrape out more cheese from the bowl.

Both DH and myself had clam chowder for our lunch.

DS had a burger and chips. The look on his face is basically him saying I'm allowed to take a photo, but he won't wait to start eating it.

DD had a pepperoni flatbread.

We all ended up having a second round of drinks too. DH couldn’t finish his second Guinness though, he muttered something about it being too filling after the creamy fondue and then the creamy chowder. Our server Elizabeth asked us if we’d left room for dessert? I nearly joked that this was the wrong holiday…but just said no thanks and so she brought us the bill.

The bill came to $94.

We walked back towards Boston Common and had a mooch around the park.

DS turned up rather reluctantly posing for the photo. He's not exactly cross and unhappy, just not wanting to stand around taking photos when there are snowballs to be thrown!

We found the famous ducks. All dressed up in their hats to keep them warm. I've no idea why DH took quite so many photos of us with them.

I wanted to visit the Gibson House museum, which shows you what life was like back in the 19th Century. When we got there a tour we had just missed the start of a tour and we didn’t want to have to wait for the next one. So we went on to Boston Public Library.

Apparently this is the 2nd largest library in the US after the library of Congress. The library was established in 1848 and has a collection of around 23 million items.

We stayed largely in the childrens section and enjoyed the free wifi and the warmth.

On the way back to the hotel we bought some milk and cereal and a bottle of red wine. We were asked for ID, which I didn’t have! Luckily DH had his driving licence, I’m not sure the young man behind the counter knew what he was looking at though.

We crossed the river on Massachusetts Avenue. Oh my this was where the cold wind hit us, that bridge felt pretty long as we walked back over the river. We saw some rabbits in the college gardens on the way up to the hotel.

Only a brief rest of about an hour (enough time for one glass of wine each) and we managed to muster the energy to go out to dinner. We walked to The Asgard on Mass Ave, another Irish pub.

DH felt like he had room for a Guinness. I had a Rudolph 75 cocktail which was gin, St Germain, Prosecco and a cherry.

The kids both had cokes which were free refills all night.

They also both ordered from the kids menu with DS having a grilled cheese and chips and DD having fish and chips. We had a long discussion about whether these would be American chips (i.e. crisps) or British chips. In the end DH and myself convinced the kids that as we were in an Irish pub they would be getting chips and not crisps, I think they were both a bit uncertain if that was actually going to happen until their food arrived.

I had the chicken pot pie.

DH had the beef and Guinness stew with dumplings. These were very filling.

For the second time today we were asked the ‘Have you left enough room for dessert?’ question. Poor Kaitlyn must have wondered why we were all hysterical at this innocent enough question, partly because DS was insistent that he did have room and I was insistent that we didn’t as we still had lots of chocolates in the hotel room. In the end Kaitlyn decided to defer to me and to ignore the protests from DS and brought us the bill, $93.

We made it back to the hotel without too much trouble. Once again we got into our PJs and 3 out of 4 of us were in bed by 9.30pm. DS was the last to go bed and we left him watching you tube for a bit on his tablet, he said he turned it off around 10pm.

The step count today was 25,039 today over 10 miles of walking.

Tomorrow we go to the mall, find a Cheesecake Factory and do the Freedom Trail in reverse (well parts of it, not all of it!).

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 18, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

Mobile

Sounds like a pretty nice day! Dinner looks delicious.
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Another cold day! All the food looks delicious!

Love all the dick photos - how cute are those hats!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 18, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Some lovely food today. I'm salivating at the pretzel and cheese!

I've added the Gibson House Museum to our list of things to see. I had a look at their website and it looks lovely

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
Sounds like a pretty nice day! Dinner looks delicious.
It actually felt like a fairly relaxed day. I guess because we had the 2 meals which broke up the day.

X

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Another cold day! All the food looks delicious!

Love all the dick photos - how cute are those hats!
I'm going to assume you were thinking about the chickens!

Old 4 Feb 18, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Some lovely food today. I'm salivating at the pretzel and cheese!

I've added the Gibson House Museum to our list of things to see. I had a look at their website and it looks lovely
Oh that pretzel was good

I wish I could say the Gibson house was worth it but we never made it in the end

Old 4 Feb 18, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'm going to assume you were thinking about the chickens!
Whoops - in my defence the i and u are next to each other on the keyboard

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Pretzel cheese fondue, I need this! Great day. X
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Whoops - in my defence the i and u are next to each other on the keyboard
Of course it was ducks I'm not sure what I was thinking last night with chickens? I'd had a couple of gin and tonics so perhaps that hindered me