Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 13 Feb 18, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andi View Post
They could change the timing of booking windows. They could also remove a resort from the club, the member's would have to vote for it.
I don't think they could change the booking windows unilaterally to damage a particular group (resale buyers) for reasons already stated. There is only 1 'home resort priority' mentioned.
I have to say though having studied briefly all of the documents including POS and Declaration of Condominium with exhibits, and the member's rules, it's hardly the clearest set of legal documents I've ever seen. Probably on purpose.

Edited at 03:37 PM. Reason: Added more info
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Booking at otjer resorts at the 7 month period is a perk and as such Disney can change it when and to who it applies when they like by giving notice. Your DVC contract only gaurantee you accommodation at your home resort and not even when you can book it.
And yes they could restrict resale members booking window if they wanted to.

Edited at 04:05 PM.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Booking at otjer resorts at the 7 month period is a perk and as such Disney can change it when and to who it applies when they like by giving notice. Your DVC contract only gaurantee you accommodation at your home resort and not even when you can book it.
And yes they could restrict resale members booking window if they wanted to.
I disagree Bighal. If you read the declaration of condominium and other documents , the home resort priority is difficult for DVD to stop, and by appertuance the membership of the club is inseperable from the deeded rights.
There is no contract per se, it's a deeded property transaction governed by a declaration of condominium and member's club rules.
It's a mess legally though so they could try, but I don't think they ever would and they'd be sued. Why trash their own excellent product? I am not a US Property timeshare lawyer though.

Edited at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added clarification
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
To me it's a double edged sword for them. On one hand they want to push for buying Direct, so need to incentivise this but on the other hand the more they "mess" with Resale the more they devalue their product. You will always get the "impulse" buyers but generally people are going to do their homework & how easy is it going to be to get someone to buy at $185-$220 when the day after they sign, they own a contract worth buttons if they need to sell. Plus the more the resale values drop the harder it is to sell that Direct product, after all ( Geoffa I know you use yours ) the benefits/perks that they are removing aren't that great to start with.
Swapping is great but if we had to stay at SSR from now until 2054 it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Swapping is great but if we had to stay at SSR from now until 2054 it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
SD
We were having this exact discussion over dinner tonight

We discussed the perks

Swapping resorts
Lounge
10% Merch discounts
MLM
AP discount ( we have purchased 2 for this trip )

Now we own at SSR ( never stayed with them , never even visited, but for some reason it doesnt appeal to us, which is crazy ) i was saying they might stop swapping resorts, we agreed, that wouldnt bother us, despite us staying at AKV kid and this trip Poly, but lets be honest, if we had to stay in SSR, it would be fine

the lounge, well no biggie

10% merch, again, not the end of the world

MLM, looks like we will miss it as they have changed the Aug date and we are not on-site, so not going to get tickets

AP discount, this will not save us alot, as we could have got the 21 day, but it will save on car parking

thats it, nothing to worry about for us
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 02:03 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
We were having this exact discussion over dinner tonight

We discussed the perks

Swapping resorts
Lounge
10% Merch discounts
MLM
AP discount ( we have purchased 2 for this trip )

Now we own at SSR ( never stayed with them , never even visited, but for some reason it doesnt appeal to us, which is crazy ) i was saying they might stop swapping resorts, we agreed, that wouldnt bother us, despite us staying at AKV kid and this trip Poly, but lets be honest, if we had to stay in SSR, it would be fine

the lounge, well no biggie

10% merch, again, not the end of the world

MLM, looks like we will miss it as they have changed the Aug date and we are not on-site, so not going to get tickets

AP discount, this will not save us alot, as we could have got the 21 day, but it will save on car parking

thats it, nothing to worry about for us
Swapping resorts isn’t a perk. That’s a fundamental part of the ownership. Even DVC call it one of the three pillars in their welcome letter.
The rest are perks though.
Old 15 Feb 18, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
Next will hopefully be these " throwaway bookings " for people who stay off-site but use them to get a rolling 60 day FP+ booking,

FP+ for the day you arrive and then leave, thats fine, but the rolling 60 day is a joke and means us people who stay on-site have lost a perk
With you on that one. I'm of the opinion that if they don't show up and check in then all FPs become void. It's ridiculous that people can continue to book FPs on that rolling basis all because they booked one night. It's a loophole that Disney need to close now.

As for the perks. I like the 10% off that I got for merchandise either here in UK Disney stores or when at the US parks. It quite adds up.

Oh! For the days when we got free valet parking!

Used to get the Tables in Wonderland card which paid for itself after 3 meals or so. Now it's a whopping $150 I'm not sure it's such good value.

Edited at 07:29 AM.
Old 15 Feb 18, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
With you on that one. I'm of the opinion that if they don't show up and check in then all FPs become void. It's ridiculous that people can continue to book FPs on that rolling basis all because they booked one night. It's a loophole that Disney need to close now.

As for the perks. I like the 10% off that I got for merchandise either here in UK Disney stores or when at the US parks. It quite adds up.

Used to get the Tables in Wonderland card which paid for itself after 3 meals or so. Now it's a whopping $150 I'm not sure it's such good value.
Geoff. I'm with you as well ref the 'throwaway booking'. We all love a bargain but to me that means a coupon or a promo code that is giving a discount. Not exploiting a loophole. Sooner they close this the better.
The TIW is excellent for us and we would be sad to see it go albeit I don't think it will. For our 70 nights per annum on site the savings are awesome.

However what drives nails into me is cash payers getting room upgrades time after time but the DVC Owners hardly ever do, in fact the only one I have clocked in recent years was Bev.

Lets be honest DVC Members paid for the DVC Resorts to be built. It wasn't started by a Mouse it was started by DVC Members Cash!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post

Yes Tables in Wonderland is getting harder to justify, unless you go for quite a long time every year, eat a lot of expensive meals or drink a lot of alcohol.
I often see it stated you have to spend $750 on food to break even.
DVC discounts of 10% off table service have now extended to virtually every TS restaurant.
So on the food in TS, you are only effectively getting 10% extra off. You also have to pay an 18% tip and some may think 15% is enough, so that potentially knocks another 3% off.
So most people would have to spend a heck of a lot more than $750 to make the TIW worth it now.
For some (like Tom :-) ) it's a no brainer but for people like me I'd never make my $150 back.
Old 15 Feb 18, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
However what drives nails into me is cash payers getting room upgrades time after time but the DVC Owners hardly ever do, in fact the only one I have clocked in recent years was Bev.

Lets be honest DVC Members paid for the DVC Resorts to be built. It wasn't started by a Mouse it was started by DVC Members Cash!
Got be fair and say we were trying to book a one bedroom at Grand Californian Villas. There are only 88 units in total and there were no one bead available for the time we wanted. we really didn't want a studio. The CM said: "Gimme a minute" and asked us to hold. When she came back she said I can offer you a two bedrrom for the one bed rate of points. We snapped her arm off.. Rang our mates in Arizona and asked if they wanted a room at VGC.

It's the only time it has happened I must admit.