Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Feb 18, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I'm sure we had loganberries growing at the end of the garden when I was a child.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I'm sure we had loganberries growing at the end of the garden when I was a child.
My Dad had an allotment and he had loganberries trained onto wires the width of the plot.

All the old timers thought he was nuts not growing huge cabbages and spuds. Instead he had rows of raspberries, blackcurrant and gooseberry bushes, rhubarb crowns and tons of flowers.
All the stuff that was more expensive to buy. Good economics.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I wonder why they don't still grow wild like blackberries, raspberries etc? I wonder if a blight or something took them?
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I wonder why they don't still grow wild like blackberries, raspberries etc? I wonder if a blight or something took them?
I don't know. However are they a hybrid type thing and not a natural 'plant'?

Maybe they need to be propogated from the rootstock and with less and less of them they have now gone. Interesting question.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I'd forgotten they ever existed but I've now remembered how much I liked them.
Old 22 Feb 18, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
goodevans
VIP Dibber

goodevans's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Thanks everyone for the replies

Glad to see that I am not the only one with fond memories of the juicy syrupy sweetness of canned Loganberries ... looks like they have gone forever then

Lovely with Carnation milk or turned into a mousse

Tom ... I remember Victor Value well
Yes in those days tinned fruit was considered a very tropical treat for us
In fact my dear mum bought so many cans of tinned peaches for us that it put me off them for life... can't bear the things even now

We also got married in 1983 and I'm sure they were still being eaten by us then too.
Funny how these have just slipped off the radar when a lot of us liked them so much !
Holidaysaver mentioned growing them but I think they are very invasive and have a poor yield ...maybe that was the reason for their demise commercially ?

Lingonberries are definitely not the same thing ...unfortunately ...got my hopes up there with an Ikea round the corner .

Wonder if these are available elsewhere in the world or are the purely a British fruit ?
Hotel Cheyenne DLP - 1994,Davy Crockett Ranch DLP - 1996 ,AllStars Sports WDW 1997,DL Hotel DLP - 1998,All Stars Movies WDW - 2000,AKL WDW -03,Newport Bay Club DLP - 04,AKL WDW- 06,Sequoia Lodge DLP 06
Fairfield Inn Marriot Village LBV-12

Hawthorn Suites LBV-14, Hotel Cheyenne DLP-17, LBV, RPR, POR-WDW, AMI+Disney Dream '18

Edited at 01:44 PM.
goodevans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
stevo25
Very Serious Dibber

Fresh
freshdirect/wp-cont...y-calendar.pdf
stevo25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
As above.

Lingonberry

Loganberry.

Oh wow, our next door neighbour's used to have what I thought was a raspberry bush crammed up against the open-mesh fence between our back gardens, and last year I "accidentally" scrumped tons of these that had leaned over to our side of the fence. I mixed them in with our own raspberries and froze them. However, looking at your pictures, they must have been loganberries because I remember thinking, "these raspberries are a bit of an odd shape, but they taste lovely!" I think the bushes died down though, I can't see them any more.

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
In the back of my mind I have a vague idea that loganberries are like a cross between blackberries and raspberries.

I loved tinned fruit salad but we all fought for the single piece of cherry in each tin !

Served with Carnation milk.
This made me laugh out loud! There was indeed only ever one single piece of cherry in each tin, and with 3 kids my mum had a right fight on her hands! Definitely with Carnation milk, Sunday night after tea (which was usually toast with dripping from the lunchtime roast). Takes me back!

Funnily enough, I was in a supermarket yesterday briefly, and happened to walk down the tinned fruit aisle. Thinking back now, I remember being mildly surprised at the very small display of tins for sale - maybe with fresh fruit being cheaper and more readily available now than in the 1960s and 1970s, there is less demand these days for tinned.

Oh - lychees! I just remembered! My mum used to occasionally buy us tinned lychees - yuk! They tasted like almonds and looked like eyeballs, I hated their slippery and slightly gritty texture!
Old 22 Feb 18, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I love these threads.
Can I go off topic and ask if anyone else remembers Panyan pickle. It was a bit like Branston. I couldn't remember what it was called for ages then it came to me on the plane when I got my cheese and tomato chutney sandwich. Random eh?
Old 22 Feb 18, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post

My great-grandpa used to grow them, I miss his loganberry patch almost as much as I miss him
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List