Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Feb 18, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

I hate it too. Last year the theme was “Aliens love underpants” which was a total pain, this year they have gone back to Favourite character. I think I might convince my DD (she’s 6) to go as Matilda again (she did in reception) as I have suitable cloths, she has a red headband and a fringe at the moment and my son who is 10 and HATES dressing up can either go as Alex Rider (he has a bit 12 book box set he is reading, Alex is a teenager who was recruited as a secret spy for MI6 or something lol so basically regular clothes!) or I love the Tom Gates thing someone posted above, I might use one of his old white PE T-Shirts and just do that, I will ask him tonight.

Sorry can't help with ideas OP - I always think if your kids are not bothered try and thing of regular characters from books so they can just go in their regular clothes haha. I think it's terrible the likes of Asda are capatalising on this now and every morning and on the school run home there is an advert on our local radio advertising they are selling world book day outfits STARTING! at £15 - clearly targeting the fact kids might be in cars with parents at those time and will beg for the outfits!

In their infinite wisdom the school are also doing a “mad Science” day mid March, which is very kindly being paid for by the Parents Association and the kids will love it (they are bringing in one of those companies who does “parties” – BUT it’s going to be a Fancy Dress day again, they couldn’t have moved it on a bit and done it in April or May so there is not 2 dress up days to sort in such a short space of time!
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Ones we've done in the past:
A pencil from 'the pencil' (wrapped brown card around him, and made a cone of brown card for his head). Great book btw.
Billionaire boy (pillow up his jumper, loo roll to carry around)
Agh now I can't remember any more!

Easy ones are: superhero costume (e.g. Batman) as they were all comic books (graphic novels) before movies.
Or pretty much any character wearing normal clothes (and just take a copy of the book).

Our school does dress up one year and then the next year the kids have to take a picture of themselves reading a book in an unusual place. Saves dressing up every year! Schools should be pretty open to suggestions if you explain how awkward dressing up is for some families.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Stick man? Dress him in brown and stick a leaf on him
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
jovial
Imagineer

jovial's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Pajamas here too thankfully !
jovial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Mobile

Originally Posted by PumpkinKitty View Post
And me .. it’s going to be freezing next Thursday so dd is happy she can go in fleecy Marie pyjamas
I might put football thermals under my son’s, keep him toastie!
Old 22 Feb 18, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Say they’re going as the invisible man and keep them at home for the day.

Old 22 Feb 18, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Crystaljordan
Serious Dibber

Love it 😊
Crystaljordan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Our school will be doing something, sometimes books, some times pyjamas, sometimes a random colour - possibilities are endless. It would be great if they could let us in on the secret when there's only a week to go
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Our kids school isn’t dressing up this year but sticking to the reading breakfast (which they do every year). Very relieved. We never went overboard and they would have to choose something they had already and make it fit a story they knew, usually can be done one way or another! But I certainly wasn’t forming out year after year for it.
Old 22 Feb 18, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
dorsetmutley
Imagineer

My kids are grown up now, but I remember sending one of my boys dressed as Robinson Crusoe, just cut up and old pair of trousers and shirt, done and dusted
dorsetmutley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List