Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Feb 18, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyHoneymoon
Very Serious Dibber

DisneyHoneymoon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I hate homework!

DD is in year 2 and brings homework home every Friday. I feel like I am very patient with her when it comes to anything other than homework. I always end up frustrated, because DD acts like she has never heard of what is being asked of her in the homework. I have brought this up with her teacher and she showed me the work she did in class, that was practically identical...
It's come to the point where she does her homework with her Dad instead, because I dread it so much and he just tells her how to do it and that's that.
I want to help her, but I am worried the way I explain it is different to how she learnt it in school and I end up confusing her, but she can't tell me how she learnt it in school, which frustrates me.
Just needed to vent
October 2019 --- All Stars solo trip | April 2019 --- Disney's Old Key West | 2017 --- Disney's Port Orleans Riverside | 2016 --- Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort | 2015 --- Disney's Old Key West | 2002 --- Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort | 1998 --- Disney's (former) Dixie Landings
DisneyHoneymoon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

I could have written that! Except dd is yr3.

I’m a very patient person but something seems to happen to me with homework.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

You wait until the words "shared homework" get mentioned
Old 22 Feb 18, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Flojo224
VIP Dibber

Flojo224's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My DS is now in year 5 and we’ve had this since he started school!

Normally he is the most laid back easy going happy child - mention the word homework and he suddenly becomes awkward, argumentative, sullen, frustrating and much more! We end up in an argument almost every time

2000, 2002, 2003/4, 2011 - Villa
2005 - Disneyland Paris
2007 - Disneyland, California
2014 - Cumbrian Lakes Villa
2017 - Orlando Dream Villa, Lindfields
2018 - No Disney Parks trip
2020 - Let’s do all the parks again - the trip that never was 😔
2022 - Miami & The Parks
2024 - Bahama’s Mini Cruise, Universal & lots of Halloween
Flojo224 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I'm assuming it's maths and they are being taught different methods to those we would have learned at school?
Ask the teacher for a parent guide to "how we teach maths" or see if there is any chance of them doing a presentation or short course for parents. All of these options were available when my kids went through primary school.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
I get so frustrated with homework. My dd is in yr 3. She is in a Welsh medium school (Niether DH nor I speak Welsh either) so it’s hard. I ask her what it means in English and she says she doesn’t know. I have spoken to the teachers and they say she excels in school with her language skills. I end up doing the same as the OP and leave her dad to the homework.
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024
parkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Oh it doesn't get any easier my GD (we pick them up from school everyday, do homework, feed them and take them home when mum and dad get home from work) is now in year 9 and I don't have a hope in hell of understanding how to do her maths homework, I can work out the answer in my own way but she tells me I am doing it all wrong.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
feelingnuts
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Another frustrated yr2 parent here and we now have SATs workbooks to get through each week about 4 pages in each it’s painful. I’m using all my self control not to strangle him he can’t be bothered and also acts like he has no idea.

I also think the level expected is shocking for a 7 year old. Last week was to read a paragraph and answer questions on it I had to read the paragraph twice to understand it and I’m the adult how’s a child supposed to decipher it. The teacher said to me unfortunately that is the expected level!
feelingnuts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 05:27 AM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile

It amazes me, how without any homework being set at all, or at least not being set until secondary school years ago, how we ever managed to produce adults with any capability to become doctors, dentists, engineers, business owners, police... oh, and teachers (etc-insert any profession-including running a house managing a household budget, bringing up children instead of leaving them to be raised by wolves!) As for the older generation, like my parents, who left school at 14, its a wonder they were anything over the level of cavemen... its so silly. Let them be children for goodness sake, or if the powers that be insist the amount of homework is really required now to turn out well rounded adults to go into the world, then maybe the school day/ terms need a massive overhaul? But this would undoubtedly cost money and involve extra staff to support/ teach so that's unlikely... im not saying that parental involvement and support for school work isnt a good idea, but it does seem to be too much too young these days
Old 23 Feb 18, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

I too could have written this! It winds me up no-end! Ds who's in year 5 gets upset and frustrated as I badger him, add into the mix, me who has physically and emotionally crawled to Friday exhausted, then presented with work I've never seen before, it's a nightmare.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List