Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Feb 18, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
scottsmummy
Excited about Disney

Travel Insurance Help

Hi all,

I’m sure this has probably been asked before, but just wanted some recommendations and advice about getting the correct travel insurance.

I’m going on holiday with my hubby and son and also my Mum and Dad.

My Gran who has pre-existing medical conditions is not travelling. We don’t foresee that there should be any issues, but I need to be covered in case we do need to cancel due to her falling ill.

I don’t know if it makes it more complicated that we are all on one booking as we are in a 2 bed villa. If anything were to happen then I think my hubby, son and I would still go, (unless it was extremely serious) so would only be my Mum and Dad who would need to cancel.

So what I want to know is who can I get adequate cover from, as all I’ve seen don’t cover non-travelling relations. It’s such a minefield and I just want to ensure that we are covered in any event. I’d love to hear any advice or companies to try.

Thanks

Sarah
Old 24 Feb 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
mozzman
Trainee Dibber

I booked with Churchill if you are in the uk that is,i got a policy with cancellation cover which covers everyone up to £5000 if we don't make it due to illness missed flights etc,worth checking out if this type of insurance works for you.i listed 3 existing conditions and it came out at £245 a bit pricey but its a minefield area for me and spending £10,000 I need to be covered
mozzman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

I have never found an insurance that covers cancellation due to ill health (or worse ) of a relative.
Coop have just launched a new travel insurance that may include this as I asked for it to be looked at when I was on the focus group. travel.co-opinsurance
I have a 90 year old mum with multiple conditions so only book last minute and take the risk.
Greyfriars is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky's Mum
Excited about Disney

For the life of me I can't find the name of the company but in March 2013, I had booked to go to Fuerteventura. My Mum became ill in July 2013 and was diagnosed as terminal in October. There was no way I was going away so cancelled the holiday and claimed off my insurance. As I could show that I booked before she became ill they paid out in full. If I find the name of the company I will post it back here.
Lucky's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

I don't think you will find a policy that would cover you for cancellation do to a pre-existing illness of a non travelling family member as I have previously looked into this for us and was unable to find anything.
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky's Mum
Excited about Disney

True Darbs -my Mum's wasn't pre existing -she was diagnosed after I have booked the holiday and bought insurance
Lucky's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mozzman
Trainee Dibber

you have to declare any conditions you or anyone else in your party has or you can't claim
mozzman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
scottsmummy
Excited about Disney

Thanks for all the advice

In my party of 3 we don’t have any pre-existing conditions, it’s just my Gran who isn’t travelling with us. I think I’ll just need to get normal insurance for us and let my Mum and Dad see what they can get.

It’s mainly arthritis my Gran suffers from, and as I say I don’t think there will be any issues, but it’s just if something like a fall happens. As Mum and I are both only children, we are all Gran has, so one of us would have to cancel.

I will keep on searching though just in case. Thanks again for all the help, it’s much appreciated.

Sarah
Old 24 Feb 18, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Check the wording on policy before you buy as most don't cover cancellation of your holiday if someone is ill but is not included in the group insured.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Saund123
Excited about Disney

We have annual cover through our bank (nationwide)and the policy states you can claim cancellation costs for death/serious injury/illness of immediate family regardless of if they are travelling with you or not.
There is probably some other clause with a list of exclusions that I haven’t read but might be worth a look?
Saund123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List