Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 1 Dec 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Pooh Bear
Getting Excited

Tipping in all inclusive hotel - what’s the right thing to do?

We’re heading to the Occidental Xcaret in Mexico for a couple of weeks at the start of January - first time for OH and 21 years since my one trip to Mexico and only AI experience, so my memory isn’t too sharp on the details!

I have no recollection of tipping last time I went but I’ve seen a few comments about it here so I was hoping you might be able to advise us on what is expected/appropriate, both in the hotel and whilst we’re out and about too.

We’re planning to take dollars (so anything we don’t spend can go towards our next planned holiday) but I’m wondering if we should take pesos too?

Excited to go, after a stinker of a year, but feeling a little disorganised and unprepared so appreciate any tips (pun intended, ) you can offer! Oh and we’re moving house on 27/12 to keep us busy too! Roll on those cocktails at the bar!
Old 1 Dec 19, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve never tipped in an all inclusive hotel.
Old 2 Dec 19, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I’ve never tipped in an all inclusive hotel.
This

as far as im concerned i have paid upfront
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 19, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Some people (especially Americans) report on Trip Advisor that they get better service or bigger measures if they tip at the start of an AI holiday. We never have and have not had a problem with service.
I tend to leave a $2 for housekeeping each day and will put $10 in the pot at the bar at the end of the holiday. I’ll tip on trips too but not what they ‘recommend’. It’ll usually be $10 or $20 dependent on how good the guide has been
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

We are going AI on Wednesday, it never occurred to me to tip.
Old 2 Dec 19, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

We leave €2-$2 for housekeeping each day. We don’t generally tip waiters but if one has been very attentive/good at an AI hotel, we would give a small tip at the end of the evening (€2-3)
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
leenkerri
Imagineer

Mobile

We tipped when we stayed at Bahia principe Akumal in September. We used pesos as we heard the locals prefer that, but USD welcomed too. We tipped for good service when brought drinks around the pool or beach areas, housekeeping, and our personal concierge.

Lee: QIP 1990; Fantasy world villas 1992; QIP 1996
Lee & Kerri: QIP 2008; QIP/AKL 2009; POR 2010; QIP/SSR 2011
leenkerri is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I have had (conservative estimate) 30 all inclusive holidays, including Caribbean, Mexico, Dominican and Europe. I have never received bad service nor had any disapproval at all for not tipping, it is not expected or required.
Due to the Americans’ tipping culture, you will see Americans tipping in Mexico etc. But they’ll also try and tip in Japan.
The staff at these all inclusive are very aware of the cultural background and see the American tips as an added, but not required, bonus.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Pooh Bear
Getting Excited

I, too, was surprised with people saying they were tipping in an all inclusive hotel, it had never even occurred to me that it was the ‘done thing’. I saw a thread in which one person said they tip around $250 in 2 weeks, which is a substantial amount added on to your AI package! That said, I imagine a few dollars here and there can make a huge difference to the life of lowly paid staff.
Old 3 Dec 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Fab Florida 4
Helping Donald

If we`ve had good service, or the same waiter/ barman has served us for a few days and they`re been really good, then we leave a tip. We don`t leave a set amount, just how we feel about the person concerned. I think it`s nice to say thanks if someone`s been really pleasant and helpful. We wait til the end of the holiday to leave a tip for housekeeping, as I don`t want anyone to expect something every day.
Fab Florida 4 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List