Old 7 Apr 21, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Oh that's great, it's not very often you can find jobs to fit in around school so it's great for Max, I really am pleased for him.

Sounds like Kate's exactly like Caitlin, I don't think there's anything on Netflix she hasn't seen either, great to see she's doing well though.

Lovely to hear Dave is doing well too, nothing wrong with enjoying being at home! I honestly think the whole working from home will change the way a lot of organisations work from now on. I know within the council they are looking at a blended approach and are definitely open to people working from home where possible.

You aren't alone Abby and it's nothing to be ashamed of. I myself struggled so much in the last lockdown, to the point Chris even asked me to go to the doctors as he was worried about me. Everyone I spoke was the same, I think it was a mixture of not really having a 'Christmas/New Year' as well as the terrible weather and not being able to do anything. At least in the summer we can go out for walks etc but in the winter and the snow it isn't as easy and it's cold.

I'm so glad being back at work is helping, I think just having some sort of normality really helps, I know we felt the same when the kids went back to school and they feel much better for it too. I totally get your frustrations it all seems so silly. You can go to a gym to work out with loads of other people from next week but you can't go inside a family members home with one other family ... it's madness to be honest. I hope you managed to have a cuppa in the garden with your parents last week when the weather was nice?

Hopefully you and Dave get your vaccines soon, it's mad how each area are so different with the vaccination program. I know we've always been ahead up here and they're currently vaccinating those over 40 now I think. I had mine 6th March but purely as I'm classed as a carer for Noah. So glad I managed to get it, although the calculator online estimates Chris will be due his from middle of April to end of May, but who knows.

So glad you've found something to enjoy from home and of course has to be Disney I took up diamond painting last year in lockdown too ... haven't done much of it lately but I have been doing my crochet again. So nice to have a little hobby that makes the days that little bit shorter and go quicker.

I was going to ask about cocktails you always were so good with recipes so I'm not surprised. I nearly bought a waffle maker to be shipped over so we could have genuine Mickey waffles but Chris talked me out of it

Sounds like you've had the perfect morning! Noah and I are just about to watch Honey I Shrunk The Kids

It wasn't long at all, it was exactly what I expected, I've missed keeping up with you all and how you're doing. I'm really hoping I can keep up with things now the kid's are back at school and things are starting to open up and get back to some sort of normality now, so lovely to hear from you Abby xx
One thing I can say for certain is that working from home is not for me! I know lots of people have raved about it this year, but I'm quite a sociable person and I've realised that being stuck in the back bedroom all day doesn't sit well with me, in fact I find it truly depressing. I guess most teachers like to see their audience, I mean students, when they are giving their monologues

I think the dark days in January, the cold weather, the not knowing how long lockdown would last with no end date in sight was very tough for some people, I know I found it tough. The lighter evenings are much better. The weather edging towards spring time temperatures helps too.

It's my Dad's 71st birthday next week, he had his 70th in full on lockdown and I really hoped we could have a proper party for him this year, but it's not going to be the belated celebration I've been wishing for there have been so many missed mile stones and special events in people's lives that we've all sacrificed. I truly hope that we are all able to celebrate these special times together soon.

The vaccine roll out has been spectacular. I'm so pleased you've been vaccinated. It does seem to be the way out of this mess for all of us. I keep checking the national booking service for Dave and for me, but still nothing. I'd hoped we would have it booked by Easter. It would have been nice to have these two weeks off knowing that we would be going back to work with some protection. Surely it won't be long now. I saw the Moderna vaccine is starting to be given and I'd love to have this as it was part-funded by country legend Dolly Parton. I'm a huge Dolly fan so I'm kind of hoping they send some down to the Kent coast. That's probably the most ridiculous reason for a vaccine preference.

Kate and me are watching Mary Poppins Returns this morning, you know we started this time last year watching all the Disney movies in chronological order, well we are nearly there! It's taken a long time.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 21, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
One thing I can say for certain is that working from home is not for me! I know lots of people have raved about it this year, but I'm quite a sociable person and I've realised that being stuck in the back bedroom all day doesn't sit well with me, in fact I find it truly depressing. I guess most teachers like to see their audience, I mean students, when they are giving their monologues

I think the dark days in January, the cold weather, the not knowing how long lockdown would last with no end date in sight was very tough for some people, I know I found it tough. The lighter evenings are much better. The weather edging towards spring time temperatures helps too.

It's my Dad's 71st birthday next week, he had his 70th in full on lockdown and I really hoped we could have a proper party for him this year, but it's not going to be the belated celebration I've been wishing for there have been so many missed mile stones and special events in people's lives that we've all sacrificed. I truly hope that we are all able to celebrate these special times together soon.

The vaccine roll out has been spectacular. I'm so pleased you've been vaccinated. It does seem to be the way out of this mess for all of us. I keep checking the national booking service for Dave and for me, but still nothing. I'd hoped we would have it booked by Easter. It would have been nice to have these two weeks off knowing that we would be going back to work with some protection. Surely it won't be long now. I saw the Moderna vaccine is starting to be given and I'd love to have this as it was part-funded by country legend Dolly Parton. I'm a huge Dolly fan so I'm kind of hoping they send some down to the Kent coast. That's probably the most ridiculous reason for a vaccine preference.

Kate and me are watching Mary Poppins Returns this morning, you know we started this time last year watching all the Disney movies in chronological order, well we are nearly there! It's taken a long time.
I feel exactly the same, I miss the social aspect of working in the office. I know we chat over teams but it's just not the same is it.

Yeah that was definitely contributing factors to how people felt I think, at least we can kind of see a light at the end of the tunnel now.

Oh bless your poor dad. Hopefully you can arrange something when all this is over. It's Chris's dad's 70th on the 17th and we're having a meet up with them in the garden with a little outdoor tea party, we're just hoping for good weather!

It really has, I'm so proud of the whole country and how the uptake on the vaccine, at least it gives us hope for some form of normality.

Ahh I remember you saying that last year ... wow that's dedication, although I suppose we haven't been able to do much else really have we! Well done! At least you'll be able to say you have seen every Disney film xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 21, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Hey there lovely

What has been really nice this week is how all the kids have slipped back into normal school life. We all know wearing masks all day long isn't fun and we would rather not, but if this is the price we pay for a normal-ish life then I will take it over lockdown any day of the week. It's been brilliant to be able to go into school every day and see people.

Max and Kate seem to have settled back in without any problems really. Max has finally been able to get a job at McDonald's, he's been applying for part time jobs don't he turned 16 in August. Hopefully he will be able to start there soon. Are Hope and Sam ok?

I'm hoping I get to write another trip report this year too fingers crossed 12th April we get to hear some positive news. The views on the Dibb seem to be pretty polarised with some vehemently thinking there will be able to travel this summer and others who think there won't be any until later in the year or even 2022. I see-saw on this. Last year I was confident for a long time that our summer holiday would go ahead, this year I haven't got a clue. I guess I'm happy to leave it to a last minute booking. I know that will likely mean I end up paying more than others who took a punt early and booked flights, but I just can't face another round of cancellations.

So I'm trying to be patient and just wait. I can't quite believe another mother's day is going to come and go without actually hugging my mum that's going to be tough again tomorrow.

Take care x
Hey Abby, I'm so sorry for not replying earlier!
I hope your Easter holidays are going well, have you braved the shops yet? I'm finally back at work (yay!) so haven't had a chance yet but I'm being dragged to Brent Cross on Sunday so wish me luck

I'm so pleased for Max, jobs for the kids are so hard to come by. Sam turned 16 in Feb and will be looking for a job after his 'exams' are finished but we're not holding our breath that he'll find one straight away. Hope was so lucky to get a part time lifeguarding job when she was 16 so Sam thought he'd do the same but there's no courses available at the moment, hopefully something will come up in the summer.
They are both ok thank you, they feel better now that they know what is going on with their exams. I just really hope they get the grades they deserve, it's been a rough year for all kids.

So travel to the US this Summer is looking a bit more promising at the moment but it's still so uncertain isn't it, it's driving me mad! I just want to get on with my planning
Let's hope we hear some more news soon!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 21, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
I feel exactly the same, I miss the social aspect of working in the office. I know we chat over teams but it's just not the same is it.

Yeah that was definitely contributing factors to how people felt I think, at least we can kind of see a light at the end of the tunnel now.

Oh bless your poor dad. Hopefully you can arrange something when all this is over. It's Chris's dad's 70th on the 17th and we're having a meet up with them in the garden with a little outdoor tea party, we're just hoping for good weather!

It really has, I'm so proud of the whole country and how the uptake on the vaccine, at least it gives us hope for some form of normality.

Ahh I remember you saying that last year ... wow that's dedication, although I suppose we haven't been able to do much else really have we! Well done! At least you'll be able to say you have seen every Disney film xx
We did get to see my dad for his 71st birthday. It's been gloriously sunny down here, but still very cold and a chilly wind. Still at least it's not wet and that makes getting together a bit easier

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Hey Abby, I'm so sorry for not replying earlier!
I hope your Easter holidays are going well, have you braved the shops yet? I'm finally back at work (yay!) so haven't had a chance yet but I'm being dragged to Brent Cross on Sunday so wish me luck

I'm so pleased for Max, jobs for the kids are so hard to come by. Sam turned 16 in Feb and will be looking for a job after his 'exams' are finished but we're not holding our breath that he'll find one straight away. Hope was so lucky to get a part time lifeguarding job when she was 16 so Sam thought he'd do the same but there's no courses available at the moment, hopefully something will come up in the summer.
They are both ok thank you, they feel better now that they know what is going on with their exams. I just really hope they get the grades they deserve, it's been a rough year for all kids.

So travel to the US this Summer is looking a bit more promising at the moment but it's still so uncertain isn't it, it's driving me mad! I just want to get on with my planning
Let's hope we hear some more news soon!
Kate and I went shopping on the first Saturday after they opened, I made her get up early that was a struggle but it was worth it as we didn't need to queue for any shops, even Primark. They had set up a long queuing system outside so we went there first, later on in the day there were long lines of people waiting to get in.

It's been so good to do normal things though, I've managed to get to the hairdresser so no horrible grey roots anymore. I hope you're really busy with work now you can start up again, I know you must have been bored silly stuck at home. I'm trying to keep very zen about the idea of a holiday this summer. I think back to this time last year and I was still pretty confident we would get to Orlando. This year I'm not so sure about summer, but there's always October half term and we've never been to Orlando for Halloween that's not a hint by the way I've not got anything booked! Just pie in the sky dreams at the moment.

I had my vaccine yesterday after work I'm so pleased about it. I ended up getting the AZ one and I've got my 2nd appt booked for July. Dave has his booked for next Saturday, so even though I'm 5 years younger than him I had the vaccine first I'm crowing about it!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List