Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 9 Jun 18, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkcandy
Imagineer

Kuala Lumpur and Penang

Hello!

Just booked my birthday trip to Kuala Lumpur and Penang in October... I turn 40 how on earth did that happen lol! Im sure im still 23!

Anyway, we booked BA flights to KL then going straight to Penang via the train, staying in Georgetown for a few days then to Batu Ferrengi then staying in KL for 4 nights before flying home.

Has anyone got any tips or any info to share? Or just some good memories you have from visiting Malaysia?

Thanks!
Old 9 Jun 18, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
When we flew to Sydney via kula lumpur found it very clean people very nice but biggest memory was we went to get a drink in one of the cafes I asked how much please and she said one gold coin I did not know what she meant having no gold 😂 then I relised she meant a English pound coin . I gave her 2 and she said thank you sir about 10 times.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkcandy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
When we flew to Sydney via kula lumpur found it very clean people very nice but biggest memory was we went to get a drink in one of the cafes I asked how much please and she said one gold coin I did not know what she meant having no gold 😂 then I relised she meant a English pound coin . I gave her 2 and she said thank you sir about 10 times.
Haha! Thats brilliant! I will remember that one! Thank you for sharing!
Old 9 Jun 18, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Hello again!
Melbatb did a week in KL and has a trip report in her signature worth a read.
We haven't been yet but I'm in the process of booking what we fancy for August.
Doing a day in KL sightseeing including Petronas towers. The HOHO bus doesn't get great reviews due to the heavy traffic so we might just walk instead. Then the second day we are going to do Batu caves, elephant sanctuary and fireflies trip - a long day but I've read good things about them.
In Penang we are mainly chilling out by pool/beach but will visit Georgetown and go up Penang Hill and see temple. And the other thing we are planning is a trip out to Orangutan island to see the orangutans combining it with a water park nearby. There are various trips to the island with different options combined but they are quite pricy but I've read good things about just hiring a car with driver from Ocean Jupiter so today I've emailed and asked them for a quote.
Happy planning!
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkcandy
Imagineer

Hi!
Thanks Gordieprincess! Ill have a read now! Sounds like you have lots planned! I love the look of the fireflies trip! Its just so unusual. I would like to look into an Orangutan trip, we have just come back from Thailand and visited an Elephant sanctuary and it was unreal! One of the best days i have ever had, so so sad some of the stories, but fanastic.

We basically have the same planned as you so far for KL, im just really excited about all of the Hawker street food

Id love to know what you think to KL on your return.

Happy travels!
Old 10 Jun 18, 06:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Hello

As said upline, I did a trip report on my solo visit to KL. It is a lovely city and I enjoyed it a lot! Laura (L&N) also did a trip report. I got the idea for the jungle trip from her

Shout if you have any questions!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkcandy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Hello

As said upline, I did a trip report on my solo visit to KL. It is a lovely city and I enjoyed it a lot! Laura (L&N) also did a trip report. I got the idea for the jungle trip from her ^

Shout if you have any questions!
Thank you so much, Im going to have a read of them both and get some ideas. I see youre off to Bangkok very soon! We have just come back from there last month, not sure if you have been before but wow! Its one of the most fantastic cities I have been, its absolutely crazy! We had a blast! Hope you have a wonderful time! If you get chance visit the Octave roof bar (Marriott) just for the views! Its stunning!
Old 10 Jun 18, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

My brother went to batu ferringhi a few years ago. They ate at night in the night market, said it was really cheap and great food. ( I think they may have eaten there every night for a week!).
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post

I'd recommend the Telecom tower in KL for views. Its not as tall as the Petronus towers but is on a hill so it seems to look down on them! You can see for miles.
Some great food at the hawker stalls in Penang.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by holidaysagain View Post
I'd recommend the Telecom tower in KL for views. Its not as tall as the Petronus towers but is on a hill so it seems to look down on them! You can see for miles.
Some great food at the hawker stalls in Penang.
I agree - I found the Petronas Towers a very sterile experience!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List