Notices

Old 7 Jan 20, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
beautybutterfly
Imagineer

beautybutterfly's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
9 Hours on a Plane is a Necessary Evil: an August 2020 pre-trip report

You’ve no idea how much joy it gives me to be writing this pre-trip report. I’m not sure if anyone remembers me from previous postings; recently I’ve been mostly overthinking and asking stupid questions, but historically I’ve been venting about my bothersome (now ex) husband and trying to plan our trip around his oddities. I had a trip to Florida every year between 2014-2017 for which I felt extremely lucky but those holidays always came at some additional (non-financial) costs to me.

However, it’s all change now, I’ve got rid of the ‘dead wood’ shall we say and I’ve upgraded to a “deluxe relationship plan” which comes with someone who gives me unlimited respect, has mutual interests and this one doesn’t impose any restrictions on my life (sorry, that was my pathetic attempt at a half-Disney reference).

The Cast

Me – I’m Jade, and I’m in my 30th year of life (I turn 30 in December). I’m a secondary school business studies teacher and since 2014 my favourite place in the world has been Florida. I am a slight control freak, absolutely love my food (but currently following SW to shed 2 stone before August) and I’ve always got my eye out for ways to save money.

OH – Kev; a Florida first-timer, only ever been out of the country twice and both times were last year so a long-haul flight and Florida in itself is quite a daunting prospect for him. Incredibly shy among people he doesn’t know but the funniest and most kind-hearted person when you know him.

Flights and Accommodation

The original plans were to fly from Doncaster and stay for 2 weeks but given his apprehension about being so far away from home, OH wanted to change the holiday to 10 nights which meant changing flight dates and departure airport. If he’s happy, I’m happy. It cost us £50pp to amend the holiday but we’ve got concrete plans now

Dates – August 2020

Flights – Direct with TUI Dreamliner from MAN to SFB, ‘extra space’ seats

Accommodation – Universal Endless Summer Resort Dockside

Booked as a package with TUI

No car, transfer included with package (first time I’ll have been to Florida without a car so it’ll be interesting to see how easy it is to get around using the transport available)

Plans so far

I think I'm going to go for a 2 week pass for Universal unless I can get 9 or so days for a good price with someone like Undercover Tourist, I'm watching . Obviously we get early entry because we're staying at Endless Summer so I'm hoping this gets us on Hagrid's without too much of a wait.

MNSSHP - I didn't realise this started in August so I'm waiting for dates to be released with baited breath; if there's a night while we're there I'll be trying to get tickets for that - I've always wanted to see the Sanderson Sisters on stage at MK!

Food - Having been a few times before, I've tried a few different restaurants out there but I've started making a list already and I'll be signing up to emails for offers (it's also Kev's bday around then so hopefully we should get some birthday offers . This is the list of restaurants I've made so far that I'd love to go to:

IHOP
Millers Ale House
Chilis
Giordano's
Hash house a go-go
Cheesecake Factory

Disney resort hopping - I'm not 100% as to whether we'll need to do this but if I can't justify buying any Disney tickets other than MNSSHP I plan to do some exploring round the resorts one day - I've always wanted to do it and it gives a bit of Disney without paying $120 for the pleasure.

Strangely enough, I don't feel the need to plan too rigidly at this point, I think not worrying about fast passes has taken some of the pressure of (not ruling Disney out completely but I need to "evaluate" our financial situation nearer the time haha). I'm just enjoying reading all your trip reports and watching Youtube videos for ideas! It's the first time I've been to Florida and not had a car or a villa so I'll be looking out for tips to make the most out of I-Drive as well I think!
Westridge North May 2014 | DLP The Kyriad March 2015 | Southern Dunes May 2015 | New York and Toronto October 2015 | Highlands Reserve DIBB villa May 2016 | LA & Vegas October 2016 | New York December 2016 | The Keys & Orlando Lake Berkley Dibb Villa April 2017 | Las Vegas MGM Grand May 2018 | Wyndham Resort iDrive April 2022 | Rosen Inn LBV Aug 2022

Edited at 10:36 PM.
beautybutterfly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Awww sounds lovely I am sure kev will be kicking himself at the end with less days but hopefully you will create a Florida addict and he can make it up to you with a 3 week trip next time
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Elsa42
Apprentice Imagineer

Elsa42's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great start on your pre trip report! Hopefully you find some tickets cheap enough so your other half gets to experience the parks! Look forward to reading more of your plans!
Elsa42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
beautybutterfly
Imagineer

beautybutterfly's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Itinerary First Draft

Ok, said I wasn't going to plan too rigidly and I'm not but I have done something loose purely in the interests of being able to buy the best value park tickets.

Arrival Day: Check in to hotel (should arrive for 4/5pm) - grab some tea on iDrive providing I can resist going over to universal for a couple of hours (will all depend how tired we are I suppose)

Day 1: IOA (wanting to attempt Hagrid's as early on as possible)

Day 2: Universal

Day 3: Disney resort hopping OR a 1 day park hopper to do the 4 park challenge - all depends what our finances are looking like around may/june time and we can decide whether to buy tickets.

Day 4: Rest day (best laid plans and all that...)

Day 5: Volcano Bay (this might end up being part of the 'rest day' and we might do another universal/IOA day here)

Day 6: Universal/IOA

Day 7: Late get up day, Disney springs early afternoon and then MNSSHP! So excited for this!

Day 8: Universal/IOA

Day 9: Shopping Day

Day 10: Home time

Obviously, this is subject to change I'm looking forward to Universal releasing their park hours so I can plan a bit more. Will also have a closer look at attractions and shows that we definitely want to see.
Westridge North May 2014 | DLP The Kyriad March 2015 | Southern Dunes May 2015 | New York and Toronto October 2015 | Highlands Reserve DIBB villa May 2016 | LA & Vegas October 2016 | New York December 2016 | The Keys & Orlando Lake Berkley Dibb Villa April 2017 | Las Vegas MGM Grand May 2018 | Wyndham Resort iDrive April 2022 | Rosen Inn LBV Aug 2022

Edited at 08:20 PM.
beautybutterfly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

You have a fantastic trip planned. As much as I love planning for Disney, it is great that Universal doesn't need so much planning. Fingers crossed that you manage to get your Disney tickets. 4 parks in one day would be a great whistle stop introduction to each park ready for your next trip.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Elsa42
Apprentice Imagineer

Elsa42's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Looks like a great plan! You’ll get to good time at universal to really explore well! I hope you get your Disney tickets! We love the 4 park challenge it’s so much fun!
Elsa42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List