Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 11 Jan 15, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
meandmyboy
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Me and My Boy Take 2 - Day 12 Laundry & Epcot

Saturday 22nd November 2014 - Day 12 Laundry & Epcot

After getting up this morning I sorted through our clothes to see what needed washing. I also decided to take one of the toys I’d ordered from Amazon out of it’s box to see if it would be easier to pack in the case if it wasn’t all boxed up. This toy had arrived separately in it’s own packaging box, and the packaging box had been all bashed in and damaged, making the box the toy was in look a bit bashed and horrible too - so I’d already decided that when I gave it to Jacob for Christmas I’d just take it out of the box and have it all set up ready to play with (it was a plastic train play set). However it wasn’t until I opened the actual box up though that I realised the toy itself was all damaged too, with the plastic track all warped. So I quickly went onto to Amazon and sorted out how to return it to them for a refund. It was now too close to our leaving date to get a replacement (and to be honest I was kind of relieved to have resolved the problem of how I was going to get this toy back home!).

So I packaged it all back up in one of the newer delivery boxes and took it to the concierge desk to get them to print off the returns label to put inside the box and then they kindly helped me to reseal it all up ready for UPS to collect. During the time at the concierge desk I left Jacob watching the kids TV in the lobby, but when I glanced across to check on him he wasn’t there! I madly dashed off trying to find him. I didn’t know which way he’d gone as he could have wandered outside the main entrance doors we’d come in, or out another door towards the bus stops, or back out towards the pool, or into the gift shop or food court. I ran round the corner shouting his name, and fortunately spotted him off in the distance wandering outside towards the pool. Turns out he’d looked across expecting to see me still queuing for the concierge, but didn’t see that I was now actually at the desk and thought I’d gone off without him! It was so worrying. But finally the Amazon parcel was sorted and we headed back out to the car.

I drove us over to the Polynesian resort so we could have breakfast at Captain Cooks as I really wanted to try the Tonga Toast. Jacob was excited to see they had Micky waffles on the kids menu so he had that with bacon. I liked the food at this place but wish there was a bit more seating, it really is quite tiny - I guess they just assume that everyone who can afford to stay at the Poly will eat at a table service restaurant so they haven’t bother with a large counter service place!

Tummys full we headed back to our hotel to do the laundry. The change machine at our closed laundry was still broken, so once again we had to walk all the way to the one near the lobby, and then I had to get some notes changed at the front desk before I could even get change from the machines! What a palaver - they really ought to get the card operated machines fitted in all the resorts it would be so much easier. Finally the washing was on and Jacob played happily with a balloon the lady on the front desk had given him whilst we waited for the wash cycle to complete. Once done, I switched our stuff into a dryer and we had a potter around the gift shop to kill some more time. Even though I had spent far too already and had no space left in our luggage I decided to let each of us choose a Christmas tree ornament to take home and I also bought some disney fridge magnets to go in Jacob’s stocking whilst he was engrossed with a remote control robot dog. Unfortunately he was so engrossed with the dog that he left his balloon unattended and another boy walked off with it! Jacob was so upset so I had to go and ask the nice lady on the front desk for another balloon to calm him down.

Then it was time to go back to the laundry room and check on the washing. Finally we were all done with the laundry so we headed back to the room to drop off the clean clothes and then headed out to the car again and drove over to Epcot. This time we were lucky with our parking spot and managed to get somewhere with a tram to take us to the entrance, so no need for extra walking. By the time we got inside the park it was almost time for our fastpass for Test Track (or “bloody Test Track” as Jacob was still calling it days after my unfortunate outburst!) so we headed straight to it. Jacob was slightly disturbed by the loud noise of the cars overhead as we made our way into the entrance of the building but we were soon away from the noise and inside. I have to say this was such a slow loading ride...I don’t know if that’s normal or something was up with it today...but by god the whole process was frustratingly slow. We waited ages in our number lines at the doors, before finally being allowed in to the design area.

Jacob enjoyed designing our car and choosing the look/colour of it. Once we move out of that room it was another long and boring wait in some sort of corridor as we slowly made our way up near the cars, more waiting, and yet more waiting, until finally we were getting into the cars. Once in the car Jacob started getting really scared again I had to reassure him the whole way round, then on the really fast outside bit he screamed so much I actually started laughing because I think it was the first and only time I’ve ever heard him scream for a genuine real reason! I know that sounds mean, I was laughing but comforting him at the same time! I told him why I was laughing - that it made a change to hear him scream for a real reason instead of just having a tantrum but I don’t think he liked it!

He did enjoy looking around the cars afterwards and pretending to drive them, but I had to limit it to just three goes because by this point I was so desperate for a wee as we’d be waiting so long for this ride. So we quickly made out way out through the shop and to the nearest restroom. By now we were both feeling rather hungry as we’d missed lunch because of doing the laundry (there was nothing I fancied in the temporary food court at our hotel). I asked Jacob what he wanted for dinner and he said macaroni cheese, so we stopped at Electric Umbrella, which wouldn’t have been my first choice but it did serve mac’n’cheese. I had chicken nuggets as I didn’t really fancy anything else on the menu. Of course Jacob ended up hardly touching his mac’n’cheese and just ate the fries! I wished we’d gone to Sunshine Seasons instead as they have such a nice range of foods.

After we’d finished eating I was tired and really wanted to go home, but Jacob wanted to go on the Nemo ride so we headed across to The Seas. It was pretty much a walk on - just a long one through the queuing system - and we were soon under the sea with Nemo and his friends! Jacob liked it as usual and then wanted to go and see the real clownfish and other fish in the aquarium bit. They were starting to switch off all the lights as we got there - I guess it was bedtime for the fishies - so we had a wander around the big tank for a bit and another look at the manatees who also looked like they were settling down for the night. I finally convinced Jacob that it was time for him to do the same and we headed back to the car and home to our hotel.

Sorry that today’s report has been totally devoid of pictures - I didn’t realise that I hadn’t taken any at all from today - I guess it was because it was a pretty boring/non-eventful day really!
Oct/Nov 2017 - SoCal and Hawaii Adventure Trip Report
meandmyboy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 16, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
kansaskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Still laughing at 'bloody test track' whoops so funny!