Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Oct 20, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyExplorer
Imagineer

Samsung QE75Q800T

Has anyone got any reviews about the Samsung QE75Q800T?
Old 8 Oct 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

As I put in the other thread.

It has major flaws for me.

Does not support Dolby Vision. Given this is now the format that Netflix and Apple TV have now settled on it is a big deal. Unlikely that they will provide it as an upgrade later as they are the driving force between HDR10+

Second, is QLED which is a compromised technology which is overly bright and has poor blacks in comparison to OLED. They have tried to improve it with the 8K models but it does still not provide the quality. Granted there are people who think bright unrealistic colours is good, but really it isn't.

There are no 8K TV's as I understand it currently that support both Dolby Vision and HDR10+. LG & Sony have models which does Dolby plus HDR10 (but not 10+). Philips I believe have one ready to go which supports both, but are not bringing it to market yet.

Personally 8K technology is really 18 months to 24 months from being something the mainstream consumer should be buying as there is so much more development still to take place and the processing power used today will not be enough for what will be needed at that time, so will either not get features or they will be sub optimum.

If you already have a decent 4K TV then I would hold fire. If you are desperate for an 8K then look for one which supports Dolby Vision and HDR10 as a minimum. You may stand a chance that HDR10+ will come later that way.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyExplorer
Imagineer

I have a 4k tv at the moment however I’m looking to purchase a new set as it has suffered badly from screen burn and can’t decide to stick with another 4K tv or invest in a 8k tv.
Old 8 Oct 20, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
As I put in the other thread.

It has major flaws for me.

Does not support Dolby Vision. Given this is now the format that Netflix and Apple TV have now settled on it is a big deal. Unlikely that they will provide it as an upgrade later as they are the driving force between HDR10+

Second, is QLED which is a compromised technology which is overly bright and has poor blacks in comparison to OLED. They have tried to improve it with the 8K models but it does still not provide the quality. Granted there are people who think bright unrealistic colours is good, but really it isn't.

There are no 8K TV's as I understand it currently that support both Dolby Vision and HDR10+. LG & Sony have models which does Dolby plus HDR10 (but not 10+). Philips I believe have one ready to go which supports both, but are not bringing it to market yet.

Personally 8K technology is really 18 months to 24 months from being something the mainstream consumer should be buying as there is so much more development still to take place and the processing power used today will not be enough for what will be needed at that time, so will either not get features or they will be sub optimum.

If you already have a decent 4K TV then I would hold fire. If you are desperate for an 8K then look for one which supports Dolby Vision and HDR10 as a minimum. You may stand a chance that HDR10+ will come later that way.
Agree on the brightness, but this is a massive plus in bright rooms where OLED doesnt cut it.
As for blacks - side by side there is a small difference and the OLED is a little better than the current QLEDs. But when not side by side, the QLED blacks are stunning as well. You would not not disappointed.

I still havent bought as awaiting the Black Friday price reductions - if there are any this year.

Agree on 8K. and to be honest, no one really needs this unless sitting right up to the TV and with perfect eyesight. The content will be compromised by compression anyway.

I am still swayed to the Samsung due to the amazing brightness that OLED cant come close to matching at the minute. But not 8K as I think that is a waste of cash as I will never see the difference and content is a long ways out.

I am looking at the QE65Q90T or the 95T with the separate connect box.

Edited at 04:51 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

The difference in blacks side by side is very noticeable if you are not in a bright room.

If you are in a very bright room and it does need to be bright, then agree that QLED/ULED may be the right choice. If that were the case though I would be looking at Hisense and not Samsung to get the Dolby Vision and HDR10 formats.

It is to a degree down to personal choice, some like the brightness (show) of QLED and others the natural colours and blacks of OLED.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyExplorer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Agree on the brightness, but this is a massive plus in bright rooms where OLED doesnt cut it.
As for blacks - side by side there is a small difference and the OLED is a little better than the current QLEDs. But when not side by side, the QLED blacks are stunning as well. You would not not disappointed.

I still havent bought as awaiting the Black Friday price reductions - if there are any this year.

Agree on 8K. and to be honest, no one really needs this unless sitting right up to the TV and with perfect eyesight. The content will be compromised by compression anyway.

I am still swayed to the Samsung due to the amazing brightness that OLED cant come close to matching at the minute. But not 8K as I think that is a waste of cash as I will never see the difference and content is a long ways out.

What is the difference between the Q90T or Q95T?
Old 8 Oct 20, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyExplorer View Post
What is the difference between the Q90T or Q95T?
The 90 has all the connections directly on the TV like the vast majority. The 95 has a separate box with all the connections and then a "nearly invisible" cable between the box and the TV.

The panel and everything else are identical.

So it comes down to your room setup. If all your boxes (sky box etc.) sit under the TV, then you can effectively hide all the cables anyway. The 95 allows you have your boxes somewhere else in the room with a thin cable to connect to the TV. So it basically comes down to try room layout. BUT you pat a few hundred pounds for the 95 and the separate box.

It will probably be the 90 for me.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
The difference in blacks side by side is very noticeable if you are not in a bright room.

If you are in a very bright room and it does need to be bright, then agree that QLED/ULED may be the right choice. If that were the case though I would be looking at Hisense and not Samsung to get the Dolby Vision and HDR10 formats.

It is to a degree down to personal choice, some like the brightness (show) of QLED and others the natural colours and blacks of OLED.
So the places I have viewed side by side are in numerous shops where they generally have low light levels. The difference is noticeable, but it isnt huge at all. And unless you are big into this, it wont make any difference to the vast majority. Both are amazing in terms of picture quality. Even the reviewers are totally split on which is better (and I have watched dozens).

On the DV/HDR10 - I am yet to be convinced this will make a difference to me. And TBH, I havent looked at the Hisense at all. Think I may need to do that. PS. I am happy for you to help with why DV/HDR10 is worth prioritising?

I think I mentioned previously - I do have a light "problem" - a full wall of windows rising to 14 feet and the full width of the room and five huge veluxes in the roof. So possibly an unusual room in that respect.
Old 8 Oct 20, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyExplorer
Imagineer

So do you recommend that I invest in a high quality 90T or 90T instead of a 800T 8K TV? Only downside is that neither have Dolby Atmos.
Old 8 Oct 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by tspill View Post

Whatever happened to just buying a TV. I’m totally lost with all this jargon.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List