Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Aug 20, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Covid “bolt-on” insurance

I wonder if anyone has heard of any companies doing an add on insurance policy at all. I have a continuing policy through my bank which obviously won’t cover new bookings for Covid cancellation while FCO advice is not to travel. So upshot is cant book anything at the moment, even though I’d book through BA for instance and so could move the booking if needed, and any hotels would be fully cancellable too.

The main risk for us would be being denied boarding due to symptoms or one of us testing positive just before we go. (Next summer or maybe October.) Everything else would either be covered by my current insurance or cancelable up to a couple of weeks out. However that’s still a big risk to take so wondering if anyone is aware of any policies. I guess an alternative would be to book through Virgin who are including Covid insurance. Any other suggestions?
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Following along. We are in the same position. So frustrating.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Following along. We are in the same position. So frustrating.
I haven’t found a solution yet other than a whole new single trip insurance policy which covers Coviid cancellation, which I think if they sold to you knowing where you are going would at least give you a good argument at the Ombudsmen! Mind you ever assume anything with insurance companies
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
I haven’t found a solution yet other than a whole new single trip insurance policy which covers Coviid cancellation, which I think if they sold to you knowing where you are going would at least give you a good argument at the Ombudsmen! Mind you ever assume anything with insurance companies
Have you found a company that covers cancellation due to covid?

I have park tickets and two different hotel bookings that were booked prior to Covid it’s just my flight and car hire that wouldn’t be covered I think. 🤔 Everything is so complicated. I’ve never ever claimed on my travel insurance for anything but you can guarantee the one time I needed it, I wouldn’t be covered.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

I found one that will COVID on holiday and travel even when FCO advises against travel. It won't cover you if you catch covid before you go though and are stuck in quarantine.

It's called Battleface - google it.

Edited at 08:56 PM.
gavvy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 20, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Have you found a company that covers cancellation due to covid?

I have park tickets and two different hotel bookings that were booked prior to Covid it’s just my flight and car hire that wouldn’t be covered I think. 🤔 Everything is so complicated. I’ve never ever claimed on my travel insurance for anything but you can guarantee the one time I needed it, I wouldn’t be covered.
There are some apparently but not if the destination is still on the FCO list. Which doesn’t help us very much as as soon as the States are off the list my current insurance will cover me.

moneysupermarket/tra...e/coronavirus/

If you are buying a new travel insurance policy, as things stand, most travel insurance providers will still NOT cover cancellations to your holiday as a result of coronavirus.

However, this is starting to change.

Southdowns, Coverwise, Cedar Tree and Coverforyou.com – all listed on MoneySuperMarket – are now among the insurers that WILL cover for cancellation if you cannot travel due to coronavirus (so long as your destination is not listed under the FCO travel ban) – and more insurers are expected to follow suit as travel rules change.
Old 27 Aug 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
There are some apparently but not if the destination is still on the FCO list. Which doesn’t help us very much as as soon as the States are off the list my current insurance will cover me.

moneysupermarket/tra...e/coronavirus/

If you are buying a new travel insurance policy, as things stand, most travel insurance providers will still NOT cover cancellations to your holiday as a result of coronavirus.

However, this is starting to change.

Southdowns, Coverwise, Cedar Tree and Coverforyou.com – all listed on MoneySuperMarket – are now among the insurers that WILL cover for cancellation if you cannot travel due to coronavirus (so long as your destination is not listed under the FCO travel ban) – and more insurers are expected to follow suit as travel rules change.
Thanks for the info.

I have insurance through Barclays. Its the cancellation cover because of Covid that I need also.😏
Old 28 Aug 20, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
merkat
Apprentice Imagineer

Mine is through Natwest. I have re-booked hotel and tickets in May 2020 when we received a refund from our cancelled holiday. The holiday is is Sept 2021 but i don't think i will be covered as i booked when the FCO advice was in place. I am not sure what to do now.

When the FCO removes restrictions and i rebook the holiday with Disney (say moving a day or so) do you think that would count as a new booking?
Old 28 Aug 20, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by merkat View Post
Mine is through Natwest. I have re-booked hotel and tickets in May 2020 when we received a refund from our cancelled holiday. The holiday is is Sept 2021 but i don't think i will be covered as i booked when the FCO advice was in place. I am not sure what to do now.

When the FCO removes restrictions and i rebook the holiday with Disney (say moving a day or so) do you think that would count as a new booking?
I don’t know. It’s all so confusing. 🤷🏼
Old 28 Aug 20, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Originally Posted by merkat View Post

If you get some paperwork from Disney showing the date of the “new booking” and just the booking details, that is all you’d need to show your insurance company. I asked one provider who said they’d be happy to reissue a booking at the same price for the hotel, but it’s the flights that you can’t get round. You can rebook with say BAs guarantee but only at the price on the day whereas so mid a July prices are looking quite good at the moment.