Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 6 Sep 20, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile Bye bye Sky

So for the first time in over 25 years we are a "sky" free household as this morning I cancelled our sjy TV subscription.

We only had a basic package and now we only get broadband from sky.

Our monthly sky bill will come down to just over £30.

We watch so little on sky (and watch so much through streaming platforms) we no longer need the service. We will lose the ability to record but - so what - we can call up most of the "free to air" (i think that's right) channels on apps most of which are built into the TV

Has anyone else done this? I know its a personal view point but what did you miss ?

BB
Old 6 Sep 20, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

It’s the future as long as your broadband is reliable. Probably a good idea to get an aerial put up as a back up.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
It’s the future as long as your broadband is reliable. Probably a good idea to get an aerial put up as a back up.
Fair point- the aerial isn't going wnywhere
Old 6 Sep 20, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Fair point- the aerial isn't going wnywhere
Is it actually connected? Seems most used as a pigeon perch!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

We did this in May. We hardly watched anything on Sky and now just have Broadband with Now. We pay for Disney+ and have Netflix when we feel like it. The only thing I kind of miss is live pause and being able to record but we've soon got used to it and now use the apps on our tv a lot more to watch things when we want.
Old 6 Sep 20, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by caj View Post
Is it actually connected? Seems most used as a pigeon perch!
It is connected to the lounge tv. That's why when I press the button marked TV on the remote I get tv pictures on the tv !
Old 6 Sep 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

I've not had sky since 2005, so I don't miss it. Got Netflix and Amazon but even these I don't tend to watch much I like.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
britishgirl
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I cancelled our multi screen part of sky,but still have the sky box attached to the television and satellite dish outside and you can get skysat through it,basically all free to air channels,sky say its free for the first 18 months or so then you are supposed to buy a skysat card from them, but mine is still free 4 years later
britishgirl is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

We are all different, & what suits one doesnt suit another. We hardly watch anything other than SKY & got a really good deal with them so we are happy.
Old 6 Sep 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
We are all different, & what suits one doesnt suit another. We hardly watch anything other than SKY & got a really good deal with them so we are happy.
I completely understand this - as you say we are all different.