Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Sep 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Tesla 3

Hi all,

I know several of you on here drive a Tesla.

Basically I have been approved for the works company car scheme, which is now fully electric.

I wouldn’t have been at the grade for a Tesla, but I have been told they have some Tesla 3 in stock, and that they may upgrade me rather than order something cheaper from scratch

I just can’t get my head round how big it is, I don’t want a car that’s too long, as parking is a bit tricky, but equally it can’t be mega titchy as I have dogs and horses and all the paraphernalia

I drive a Seat Leon now, and if I was able to order from scratch I’d choose a Kia e-Niro or the Hyundai Kona. I know those are baby SUV and the Tesla isn’t obviously

Can anyone give me any pro’s/con’s?

Thanks
Old 14 Sep 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Will watch with interest as it's on my shortlist along with the E-tron and I-Pace (which I appreciate cost more) as I'm self-employed and the savings this year by running through the company are massive it's effectively 50% cheaper to lease through the co versus doing it privately once you factor tax (I assume the 0% BIK bit will apply to anyone one, whether employed or self-employed?)

Re size - I'm not sure if you mean it seems too big or you're simply trying to work out how bit it is! From what I've seen of it, I'd assumed it was broadly Focus sized. Main drawback for me is the conventional boot so would need another car for the dog and bikes.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
Will watch with interest as it's on my shortlist along with the E-tron and I-Pace (which I appreciate cost more) as I'm self-employed and the savings this year by running through the company are massive it's effectively 50% cheaper to lease through the co versus doing it privately once you factor tax (I assume the 0% BIK bit will apply to anyone one, whether employed or self-employed?)

Re size - I'm not sure if you mean it seems too big or you're simply trying to work out how bit it is! From what I've seen of it, I'd assumed it was broadly Focus sized. Main drawback for me is the conventional boot so would need another car for the dog and bikes.
It was as simple as that, know it sounds daft. I have never actually seen one up close, and I’m struggling for a comparison with a well known car

A focus is a great one for me as I used to drive one...

When you say conventional boot so not a hatch back! So a smaller boot than say my Leon? X
Old 14 Sep 20, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

I have a Tesla Model S and I have seen a 3 and it is smaller than my S but it is not a small car - I would defo recommend seeing one to see if you think it is big.

If you have made the mind set that you can work with a EV then the simple biggest advantage that Tesla have is their network of superchargers on the way to places. You turn up and plug in and they just work and only Tesla can use them.

The other charging networks can be a faff - apps to install and then what happens if you turn up and the one and only charger is being used. You might have to wait for ages for it to be free to use and then wait an age for their chargers to charge you up as the non-Tesla chargers run at various speeds. You may have seen a ev charger at motorway services say, they are often the only charger there, who would dream of having only one petrol pump! But Tesla chargers are usually in 6 or more groups and more coming all the time.

My driving pattern means I drive local to my home near Glasgow most of the time, and I charge at home often, get home, plug in and got to bed, next day battery is full and my normal drive means it lasts 3 days.

I have family near Blackpool and drive to see them every so often and stop at Tebay services to use the super chargers there. By time nipped to loo and got a drink, the car is done charging - and normally ready before I am!

The only things I can think of to consider apart from the charging networks, is if you are a person that gets in their car and drives 400 or more miles in one go, then stopping to charge every 200 miles say will get on your wick. If you stop every couple of hours to stretch your legs etc, this will make not a jot of difference on longer drives.

Edited at 03:13 PM.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

The boot may not be what you need given what you have said.

See this which gives a review and has pictures of the boot size and opening. autoexpress/tesla/...20boot%20floor.

Size wise it is bigger than a Focus, more the next size up.

Saying that if you can compromise, there isn't much better out there. Model Y coming soon would be better (its a hatchback), but as you say, you probably wouldn't qualify for one on the works scheme.

Edited at 03:29 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
I have a Tesla Model S and I have seen a 3 and it is smaller than my S but it is not a small car - I would defo recommend seeing one to see if you think it is big.

If you have made the mind set that you can work with a EV then the simple biggest advantage that Tesla have is their network of superchargers on the way to places. You turn up and plug in and they just work and only Tesla can use them.

The other charging networks can be a faff - apps to install and then what happens if you turn up and the one and only charger is being used. You might have to wait for ages for it to be free to use and then wait an age for their chargers to charge you up as the non-Tesla chargers run at various speeds. You may have seen a ev charger at motorway services say, they are often the only charger there, who would dream of having only one petrol pump! But Tesla chargers are usually in 6 or more groups and more coming all the time.

My driving pattern means I drive local to my home near Glasgow most of the time, and I charge at home often, get home, plug in and got to bed, next day battery is full and my normal drive means it lasts 3 days.

I have family near Blackpool and drive to see them every so often and stop at Tebay services to use the super chargers there. By time nipped to loo and got a drink, the car is done charging - and normally ready before I am!

The only things I can think of to consider apart from the charging networks, is if you are a person that gets in their car and drives 400 or more miles in one go, then stopping to charge every 200 miles say will get on your wick. If you stop every couple of hours to stretch your legs etc, this will make not a jot of difference on longer drives.
My driving pattern i think would suit an EV pretty well. I work from home 3 days a week in which case I don’t go far at all, the gym, the shops etc so less than 10 miles in a day.

2 days a week I visit my client office, a 40 mile round trip. So I don’t think I’d likely need to charge more than once a week as weekends at home we use DH banger for our grubby horse things.

We would go away occasionally on a weekend in my car. Usually within 150 miles, and if further, defo likely to stop for a Starbucks.

I defo agree with you that the Tesla charging points are frequent and plentiful in comparison, although likely 9 in 10 charges would happen at home.

Lots to think about Thankyou
Old 14 Sep 20, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Charging at home - you are sorted :-))
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
The boot may not be what you need given what you have said.

See this which gives a review and has pictures of the boot size and opening. autoexpress/tesla/...20boot%20floor.

Size wise it is bigger than a Focus, more the next size up.

Saying that if you can compromise, there isn't much better out there. Model Y coming soon would be better (its a hatchback), but as you say, you probably wouldn't qualify for one on the works scheme.
No I’m apparently in the group of the E-Niro, Kona, e-golf or I3.

In the group below is the Zoe or the Leaf.

The Tesla would usually be the band up, which I wouldn’t mind, as I think the Kona looks fab, and would ideally be the size/shape I’d be after anyway... but Antony makes a great point about the charging systems round the country, and if it is the best, then maybe I should say Thankyou very much 😂

Obviously BIK is nil at the min,but I need to read up on the implications later down the line, as the Tesla is obviously more expensive than the cars in my band
Old 14 Sep 20, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Tesla 3 would be great if you can make it work for you. Following that would be the Hyundai Kona from your list for me. The other one to throw in as a curve ball if the Tesla is out is the MG ZS full electric SUV.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Tesla 3 would be great if you can make it work for you. Following that would be the Hyundai Kona from your list for me. The other one to throw in as a curve ball if the Tesla is out is the MG ZS full electric SUV.
I don’t think that’s on the list! But thanks, I’ll bear it in mind if it pops in.
Must say I love the thought of a little SUV but I just feel turning down a totally free Tesla could be silly x