Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Jun 17, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
Originally Posted by doombuggy View Post
Did you end up buying the pass? We are going in October for my birthday and I think I am going to do this, since this trip has been whittled down to 1 full day and 2 small partial days there (going to Great Wall, then on to Tokyo DLR for 4 days...)
When in October? If avoiding national day week you may be fine, we were in November

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 17, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dee slack View Post
they weren't enforcing the all at the FP machine when we were there, unless they thought it was harder work telling someone in English than worth it and probably less likely to be selling them on?
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I speak fluent Mandarin! So it was a bit difficult to ignore the announcements, plus there were signs (which are also in English)! So off we all went through the FP queues...

Originally Posted by dee slack View Post
It's actually quite worrying that they can get all their wares through security - they obviously aren't checking very well if one person has several sets of ears in their bag (wrapped and all the same!) so whatever else could they be letting through? Was certainly an eye opener for us.
Yes it's really weird! And it's definitely different from how I remember the DLP security to be where they scanned bags as well! And even weirder that their security (scan person, check bag) was the opposite of the Shanghai Metro security (scan bag)...

Originally Posted by doombuggy View Post
Did you end up buying the pass? We are going in October for my birthday and I think I am going to do this, since this trip has been whittled down to 1 full day and 2 small partial days there (going to Great Wall, then on to Tokyo DLR for 4 days...)
I did buy one fastpass for Tron, mainly as the first day I was there the queue time was something like 90 minutes and I really wanted to take Tron! (The next day, the queue was something like 15 minutes... but oh well!)

I think I decided in the end that the set of the VIP fastpasses wasn't worth it, as the only really good fastpasses there are Soarin, Tron and maybe Roaring Rapids. 7DMT/Peter Pan/WTP/Buzz had more manageable wait times and Fastpass return times.

But it was worth it to get a fastpass for Tron! And if I hadn't rope dropped very early and gotten two rides in on Soarin, I would have bought the Soarin fastpass as well...
Old 8 Jun 17, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

This is a very interesting thread, thanks for posting. Are there any Disneyland places you'd recommended eating at, especially table service in Disney-town?
I've currently booked and prepaid my Toy Story Hotel accommodation but don't know whether to buy Park tickets online now or when I checkin. How did you do it and if you onowm how do you collect your park tickets when purchased online?
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 17, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
M M
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob View Post
This is a very interesting thread, thanks for posting. Are there any Disneyland places you'd recommended eating at, especially table service in Disney-town?
I've currently booked and prepaid my Toy Story Hotel accommodation but don't know whether to buy Park tickets online now or when I checkin. How did you do it and if you onowm how do you collect your park tickets when purchased online?
We bought tickets online in April and the e.ticket that we printed off was the park ticket there wasn't anywhere to exchange it. It was a bit of a worry in case it got wet etc or if the printer didn't print the bar code properly.
M M is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 17, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Actually I never tried any of the places in Disney Town (mainly as was doing CL at DLH so ate mostly there)! But there were a few restaurants that looked pretty good - Crystal Jade should be a good Chinese restaurant (not tried the ones in China but there are a number here in Singapore which are generally decent), then there was also Cheesecake factory and Wolfgang Puck which both looked pretty good. There is also BreadTalk (which sells bread in all forms).

I bought my park tickets when I checked in via the concierge. There was a note in the email confirming the hotel reservation that on site guests are guaranteed entry into the parks, so I wasn't too worried about tickets selling out. The upside of this was that I didn't have to get my tickets validated at the park, and they printed the tickets on the back of hotel room key cards which were proper sturdy plastic, so no worries about getting them wet/etc.
Old 9 Jun 17, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

I don't eat meat or fish so wanted to play it safe so we ate at Cheesecake Factory 4 times and really enjoyed it. Not particularly cheap but nice food and lots of it. Never been to CF before but will in Florida next visit!
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 17, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
doombuggy
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Hannikins View Post
When in October? If avoiding national day week you may be fine, we were in November
We arrive in Shanghai the afternoon of Wed Oct 18 and will take the train up to Beijing Friday afternoon Oct 20. We are spending my birthday (the 19th) at the park.
1974-1983 WDW day trips*1992 WDW*1994 Contemporary*1997 WDW*1997 Poly* 1998 DL PAC*1999 DL DH*2000 Coronado/PO*2001 WDW*2002 DL DH*2002 WDW HHB*2003 POR*2003 WDW HHB*2004 Moved to Orlando*2006 DVC*2006 DLR*2007 DVBR*2007 OKW*2007 VWL*2008 GCH*2009 BLT*2009 AKL*2010 OKW*2010 SSR*2010 DLP DLH*2011 BLT*2011 AKL Kidani*2012 BWV*2014 Aulani*2015 VGC*2017 VGC*2017 VGF*2017 SDL & TDR*2019 HKDL Hollywood Hotel*2020 Contemporary TPV
doombuggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 17, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
willmatt
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
Actually I never tried any of the places in Disney Town (mainly as was doing CL at DLH so ate mostly there)! But there were a few restaurants that looked pretty good - Crystal Jade should be a good Chinese restaurant (not tried the ones in China but there are a number here in Singapore which are generally decent), then there was also Cheesecake factory and Wolfgang Puck which both looked pretty good. There is also BreadTalk (which sells bread in all forms).

I bought my park tickets when I checked in via the concierge. There was a note in the email confirming the hotel reservation that on site guests are guaranteed entry into the parks, so I wasn't too worried about tickets selling out. The upside of this was that I didn't have to get my tickets validated at the park, and they printed the tickets on the back of hotel room key cards which were proper sturdy plastic, so no worries about getting them wet/etc.
Can you tell me what the good and drink offerings are at club level. There isn't much information about online. Cheers
willmatt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 17, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by willmatt View Post
Can you tell me what the good and drink offerings are at club level. There isn't much information about online. Cheers
I'll try to get a photo when I can, but this is what I remember them having

Breakfast (7-11am)
- Congee with a selection of condiments (century egg, peanuts, etc)
- An egg dish of some description made to order (one day it was an onsen egg, another day it was a poached egg)
- Omelette made to order
- Noodle dishes made to order (there were 3 types to choose from)
- Hash browns, bacon
- Waffles (with compote, jam, honey etc)
- Salad (make your own, with greens, beans, ham, cherry tomatoes, olives etc)
- Bagels with smoked salmon and cream cheese (make your own)
- Assortment of various pastries
- Cereals
- Yoghurt drink of some description
- Freshly squeezed juices (orange or apple or some weird cucumber/celery thing)
- Fruits (both already cut, and whole fruits)
- Tea/coffee

Afternoon snacks (2-4pm I think)
- Mainly just desserts (a wide variety)
- Tea/coffee/drinks

Snacks (which is effectively dinner and referred to as such by the CMs) (5-7pm)
- A huge selection of appetiser sized food that was different each day but included things like mussels, some cool looking tuna lollipop things, beef, cooked vegetables
- Salad (similar to at breakfast)
- Cheese and ham
- Fried fish/vegetables (similar to tempura)
- Nuggets and fries
- Cut and whole fruits
- Selection of desserts (same as at tea - again a wide variety)
- Drinks which included alcoholic drinks at this setting

Fireworks? Not officially a meal as such but they offer drinks and cookies if you want to watch the fireworks show from the lounge.

I think there's also a session with Mickey just before bedtime but I never made it to this...
Old 17 Jun 17, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
willmatt
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I'll try to get a photo when I can, but this is what I remember them having

Breakfast (7-11am)
- Congee with a selection of condiments (century egg, peanuts, etc)
- An egg dish of some description made to order (one day it was an onsen egg, another day it was a poached egg)
- Omelette made to order
- Noodle dishes made to order (there were 3 types to choose from)
- Hash browns, bacon
- Waffles (with compote, jam, honey etc)
- Salad (make your own, with greens, beans, ham, cherry tomatoes, olives etc)
- Bagels with smoked salmon and cream cheese (make your own)
- Assortment of various pastries
- Cereals
- Yoghurt drink of some description
- Freshly squeezed juices (orange or apple or some weird cucumber/celery thing)
- Fruits (both already cut, and whole fruits)
- Tea/coffee

Afternoon snacks (2-4pm I think)
- Mainly just desserts (a wide variety)
- Tea/coffee/drinks

Snacks (which is effectively dinner and referred to as such by the CMs) (5-7pm)
- A huge selection of appetiser sized food that was different each day but included things like mussels, some cool looking tuna lollipop things, beef, cooked vegetables
- Salad (similar to at breakfast)
- Cheese and ham
- Fried fish/vegetables (similar to tempura)
- Nuggets and fries
- Cut and whole fruits
- Selection of desserts (same as at tea - again a wide variety)
- Drinks which included alcoholic drinks at this setting

Fireworks? Not officially a meal as such but they offer drinks and cookies if you want to watch the fireworks show from the lounge.

I think there's also a session with Mickey just before bedtime but I never made it to this...
Thanks for this
willmatt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List