Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Sep 17, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Gems09
Excited about Disney

Avis

I read such a lot of bad reports about Avis and extra charges leading up to our booking with them. Wanted to write a quick post with a good review for those like me who may be worried after booking.
I booked at standard SUV for just over £500 for 18 nights through holiday autos with my NHS 10% discount.
When we got there, they offered us a 7seater for no extra money so I let my husband decide. He though it would be a good idea if one of my parents wanted to leave the parks and the other stay, we could accommodate them so we had the 7seater. Lovely car, a kia something and I really enjoyed driving it.
No extra charges, didn't get charged to add my husband on as a 2nd driver, no hidden extras, just told the guy I had my arranged my own insurance through holiday autos and he said that was fine and nothing would be charged. Returned it with tidy but with about a ton of clearwater sand in the boot and they were fine about it.
Gems09 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

always good to hear a review from the other side

hope you had a nice trip

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

Thanks for sharing. We have a car booked with Avis for November and I was getting a bit worried. A bit more relaxed about it now. Thanx.
Old 18 Sep 17, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
gazza5
Proud to wear my Ears

used avis for san diego, ended up with a tahoe with 8 miles on the clock. This was back in Feb.

This time gone for standard suv as used the money the tahoe would have cost for Mickey's xmas party. We will see if there are any options of upgrading when we arrive, tbh never had a problem with avis, used them in spain as well.

Most company's are the same, we have used budget, Hertz, Avis, Alamo, and never really had a problem with any.

Hertz were the biggest let down when I wanted a mustang coupe, they gave is the convertable to compensate, but boot wasn't big enough for our case (so went on back seats) - even though hertz had reserve this exact model.
gazza5 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Gems09
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by gazza5 View Post
used avis for san diego, ended up with a tahoe with 8 miles on the clock. This was back in Feb.

This time gone for standard suv as used the money the tahoe would have cost for Mickey's xmas party. We will see if there are any options of upgrading when we arrive, tbh never had a problem with avis, used them in spain as well.

Most company's are the same, we have used budget, Hertz, Avis, Alamo, and never really had a problem with any.

Hertz were the biggest let down when I wanted a mustang coupe, they gave is the convertable to compensate, but boot wasn't big enough for our case (so went on back seats) - even though hertz had reserve this exact model.
My dad had a Tahoe this time, he loved the drive of it. He got rear-ended last day on way to airport though! He was so worried but Alamo had a look at it, popped the bumper back into place, smacked a few of the dents back in with a hammer, got his supervisor to check and they both said not substantial damage and it was fine!
Gems09 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Hertz has also been the worse for me.

I booked a 2 door coupe or similar and was told they have cameos, Mustangs and Nissan Altimas in this class. When i got they told me there was no 2 door coupes available but not to fear they have upgraded me to a fullsize car and given and brand new Dodge Charger. Great i thought, she then gave me a reciept to sign and i noticed it said a $350 charge. I questioned this and was told it was for the free upgrade. I pointed out i have paid in advance and $350 is not free? I was then told unless i paid $350 all i could have is a Chrysler 200.

I took the 200 and was then told that i didnt have valid insurance, i pulled the paperwork out and showed he for SLI and zero excess. I was then told that i was being stupid and putting everyone at risk for not taking out extra insurance. At this point I just asked for the keys and left.

I complained to hertz when i got back about these lies and they didn't care, as i wasnt tricked into paying extra.

Edited at 03:42 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List