Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Sep 17, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I lived in Denmark for a while and have regularly visited Sweden , yes it is expensive but the wages are usually catered accordingly.
The Swedish people are lovely & Many of the Swedes I knew loved a drink , even though it's expensive they drink at home before they go out.
A lot of the houses I've been too are lovely and it's easy to travel around.
Sadly I had to come home due to the family I worked fir splitting up , but Scandinavia still remains a particular favourite for me and I have been back many times.
Obviously your daughter needs more info in regard to where she will live, healthcare and benefits etc.
But it is a really nice place to live & I don't think she would regret going , unless she doesn't like the cold

Edited at 07:52 PM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
She's had a email today saying they want to proceed and asking about references. Shes replied saying she needs to know.more before she can accept, and then she can give her present employer for references. She may ring them.tomorrow to discuss
If the job is in Stockholm itself, it could be worthwhile for your daughter to visit if she hasn't already. The public transport hubs in particular are becoming different.

A lot of people still think of ABBA, Volvo, IKEA, but its changing, yes Swedes are welcoming and friendly, sadly maybe too welcoming.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
If the job is in Stockholm itself, it could be worthwhile for your daughter to visit if she hasn't already. The public transport hubs in particular are becoming different.

A lot of people still think of ABBA, Volvo, IKEA, but its changing, yes Swedes are welcoming and friendly, sadly maybe too welcoming.
The interview was actually in Stockholm so yes she did visit.
I'm.not too sure what you mean about things becoming different.
Also she is 28 and quite used to travelling in her present job, she does business trips to the middle.east.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

My brother lived there for a couple of years about 8 years ago. Loved it! So did we when visiting. Mega expensive (when you're a tight manc anyway) but his wages were reflective and therefore no impact on standard of living.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
Also she is 28 and quite used to travelling in her present job.
That's all good she'll be fine.
We have friends near Örebro, we go to visit Vargåsen in Norway from Stockholm for few years now.

Good luck whatever decided.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
My cousin has lived in Gothenburg for almost 40 years, raised her family there. From what she tells me I think I know what Pino_Spetzberg is alluding to.
Sweden has had a huge amount of immigration and in some areas there are increasing problems with crime etc, a lot of which is not publicised, but is seems to be pretty concentrated in some areas in cities.
But the people are wonderful, and it's still probably a better place than most European countries.

She seems to be a seasoned traveller and if she has been to the Middle East she will have no issues.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 17, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

They've asked her to give previous (not present) employers for references for now. They work a bit differently and ask for these before the final offer with salary etc. Gives her more time to think about things as well, she is off on travels again tomorrow for a few days in Croatia as her partner is on a business trip there, so they are having a few days holiday at the end.

Edited at 10:45 AM.
JudyC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter has now had a job offer now they are happy with references. She needs to look into tax, cost of living etc more before she makes a decision
93 94 03 2023 DLP
Old 18 Sep 17, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

She has now accepted the buying assistant job, so will be working and living in central Stockholm from the end of next month! It's a risk but also a great opportunity, everyone she works with says how great it will be for her. Only thing now is for her boyfriend to get a job there then he can follow her as soon as he can.
93 94 03 2023 DLP