Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Sep 17, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

We had 3 on row 79 and then the middle and the aisle row 78. No one took the window seat so we had 6 seats between 5, gave us a bit of extra room. This happened both ways too. This was may 2015.

WDW - Oct 2010 - SSR, Sept/Oct 2011 - I-Drive, May 2015 - OKW

DLP - Dec 2013, Jan 2015 - Cheyenne
vickitoria10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
I wanted to gamble on booking aisle and window seats and leaving the middle seat empty in the side row of three but DW won't hear of it in case someone gets it and insists on sitting between us - which seems pretty unlikely to me.

Years ago I was on a flight on my own in an aisle seat in the centre four and "executive" looking woman was in the aisle seat at the other end with the middle two seats empty. As we got close to take off I commented it'd be nice if the seats stayed empty and she said "oh they will, I had them blocked out." Sure enough they stayed empty.
Id be surprised if VA would let you book like that. If plane is busy they would move you anyhow, quoting " operational needs" as excuse.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 01:36 AM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

I flew out on VS16 on the Friday before Irma. There were only 105 passengers on the flight - I've never seen a plane so empty. There were just 7 in the bubble economy. I was in 80K, which I had reserved. No-one in H or J, so I had the row to myself. Similarly there was one person in 79A, who had that row to himself.
Great service from the crew - came round and chatted to everyone. Got treated more like PE - drinks in glasses and coffee was brought in a china mug! I have no idea if the other seats had been booked, and then cancelled - I don't bother to check such things. You are only entitled to the seat you paid for, and must assume all others might be taken. It is then a pleasant surprise if you are lucky and find there are a few spare seats.
Lots of single travellers like me. Also, Orlando is a major business destination - lots of large companies there and the the hotels host business conventions/conferences, plus there is a major convention centre on I-Drive (big as a theme park). It is naive to think that everyone on board is a family group on holiday - maybe on Thomson or Thomas Cook, but VA/BA are regular scheduled airlines.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 04:39 AM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Depends on how full the flight is! If the flight is full then every single seat will get taken up.

I travel solo (in fact flying solo tomorrow!) and almost always book a centre aisle seat if available - but if not, then I'll take any seat available!
Old 19 Sep 17, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I travel solo (in fact flying solo tomorrow!) and almost always book a centre aisle seat if available...
I hope that's a common preference! We've booked extra legroom seats and took the aisle and centre in an outside row of three, leaving the window seat empty.

I looked last night and we're the only couple to have done that - all the other extra legroom seats have the aisle seat empty. I'm wondering if I should move us - right now if a single traveller wants a window seat our row is their only option!
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
oxygen_thief
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

My wife had a row of 3 to herself in the bubble on the flight back last time. We were a group of 6 so we spread out a little.
2019 - looking
oxygen_thief is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 17, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Yes we did last year on Dibbers row! Was fantastic!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 17, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I wanted to gamble on booking aisle and window seats and leaving the middle seat empty in the side row of three but DW won't hear of it in case someone gets it and insists on sitting between us - which seems pretty unlikely to me.

Years ago I was on a flight on my own in an aisle seat in the centre four and "executive" looking woman was in the aisle seat at the other end with the middle two seats empty. As we got close to take off I commented it'd be nice if the seats stayed empty and she said "oh they will, I had them blocked out." Sure enough they stayed empty.
The splitting up to try to get a spare seat and then being lumbered with someone in between you is very common. Also common is the fact that they often will refuse to move - you had your chance to sit together and you blew it.

Every time I travel in ECO with virgin (which isn't often as except for Florida I am flying virgin for work and sitting in the big seats) I will go to the club house at LHR or LGW and work with the staff there to find a good seat and get them to block out the ones next to me if there is space, it's very common
Old 20 Sep 17, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post

Not as unlikely as you may think ( your DW is right ) , and that particular 'idea' has been the subject of much heated discussion on the Dibb only recently.
Old 20 Sep 17, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

We booked the aisle and centre seat once hoping that the window would stay free. When we boarded it turned out that we had the son from a family who were on the other side of the plane 4 rows in front. I guess they didn't mind being that separate. Thankfully he was polite and hardly ever got up to go to the loo!

Allergy-Friendly Food Report 2015
stan_the_man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List