Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Sep 17, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We went to Washington at very short notice and found it a lot cheaper to get a return flight to Orlando and book a separate return flight with United to Dulles. We cleared immigration at MCO which was easy. But it was just the two of us with a small amount of hand luggage.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Lovelymuller View Post
@Tracey1302, what passes would you recommend to see most popular sites in New York? We're doing 3 nts in NYC and undecided whether to get city pass or explorer? Thanks
Hi. We had the citypass. It worked well. But we did spend a fair but of time in queues (esp totr). Most places had a separate queuing system. Work out where you want to go. It may be better / more practical to buy timed tickets and not a whole lot more expensive.

We also bought tickets direct for SOL for pedestal access. This was definitely worth it. We did first ferry the first full day we were there to make best use of jetlag. Crown tickets also avail. (Statue cruises only place to buy this - not on any Pass.) If you want to do this it will impact on your pass choice so decide this first I think. Tickets are limited and go on sale 6 months in advance.

Edited at 07:18 AM.
Old 18 Sep 17, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Lovelymuller
Excited about Disney

Hi, thanks for the reply😀 Would like the city pass for the price but don't want to spend a lot of time queuing as we're only there for 3 days, will look at the explorer pass😀 By the way did you have to use or buy the unlimited metro card for subway?
Lovelymuller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post

We worked out where we would be going by metro and bought that. For us it was easier to buy 3 10 trip metro cards. 2 could go through on a card at any one time. The third went to eldest who wanted to do his own thing. So 5 trips as a family. Then topped two of the cards up with 4 more trips each. So ride subway 9 times in 4 days. Also did a lot of walking.

I think if you buy the unlimited you have to buy one per person ( there is a good guide some where in the general trip planning thread).

Most popular thing we did was a harbour lights cruise, sol, ESB (another first thing in morning job) and intrepid ( which we weren't intending to do).

That's them. Me I liked central park and the high line and just walking.

Edit - all also found 9/11 area interesting and moving. Not really somewhere you can say you enjoyed but we're all glad we went.

Edited at 08:06 AM.
Old 18 Sep 17, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
smudgester
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
Your route sounds similar to what we would like to do. Are you staying in hotels or airbnbs? I have found hotel accommodation in Key West to be very expensive... Sounds amazing to do a day trip to DC from NYC, I thought it took several hours on the Amtrak each way!?
We are staying at the Seafarer Resort and Beach when in the Keys and then hotels in Orlando (inc 1 night @ the RPR onsite at Universal) and New York

The Amtrak does indeed take several hours each way - and it will probably be the longest day on our trip - but everything we want to see [ Smithsonian, White House, Lincoln Memorial, Capitol, etc ] is within short walking distance of Union Station.
smudgester is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
motherofthree
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by smudgester View Post
We are staying at the Seafarer Resort and Beach when in the Keys and then hotels in Orlando (inc 1 night @ the RPR onsite at Universal) and New York

The Amtrak does indeed take several hours each way - and it will probably be the longest day on our trip - but everything we want to see [ Smithsonian, White House, Lincoln Memorial, Capitol, etc ] is within short walking distance of Union Station.
Thanks for your reply. It's useful to know that some of the main sights in DC are within walking distance of Union Station.
motherofthree is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post

looking at something similar

start of Aug, from uk to NY for 4 nights
then JFK to MCO for 19 days
MCO - home ( about the 28th )

not getting any joy, not sure if i am too early ? ? ?
Old 19 Sep 17, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
looking at something similar

start of Aug, from uk to NY for 4 nights
then JFK to MCO for 19 days
MCO - home ( about the 28th )

not getting any joy, not sure if i am too early ? ? ?
Try looking without the JFK MCO leg. You can then book your own internal flight.

If that works then it is because you are too early for the internal us domestic leg.

If it doesn't then there may be something else awry but don't really know what.
Old 19 Sep 17, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Louiseanne
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Ba were very cheap for this route this summer. We did lhr to JFK. 2 nights in New York. Then flight to MCo. And MCo direct back to Gatwick.
When did you book? I want to go next august but would prefer not to actually book till January.
Louiseanne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Many got the cheap deal in sept. I booked in Jan sale.