Old 30 Jan 17, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
We stayed just opposite on LIC! It suited us fine - easy to get onto Manhattan and a lot cheaper!

Have a fun trip!
Thanks! That's good to know - it looks a quick easy trip to Manhattan on paper but the reality can be different. Was the neighbourhood ok, looks quiet?

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 17, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Very quiet! Though if you head to Astoria on the subway (end of the line - about 4 stops) there are plenty of diners and food choices!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 17, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Very quiet! Though if you head to Astoria on the subway (end of the line - about 4 stops) there are plenty of diners and food choices!
Ah thanks for the tip had a quick look and there looks to be some interesting places to eat around there. Was thinking we'd be eating before heading back to Long Island but this gives us another option. Just been reading your trippie

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 17, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridafan101 View Post
Ah thanks for the tip had a quick look and there looks to be some interesting places to eat around there. Was thinking we'd be eating before heading back to Long Island but this gives us another option. Just been reading your trippie
We only headed there on the penultimate evening and realised that it was a great find in that it was more local and less busy!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 17, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Update no.2

So as I may have mentioned it's a rather special birthday whilst we are on holiday. We fly out on the Thursday before my birthday on the Saturday so need to decide what to do that day. I'd welcome suggestions, I'm thinking maybe ESB or TOR, little shopping trip to Tiffanys

But what else - a show? How much would tickets me for a matinee performance? Where best to get tickets? Best shows to see with 8 and 10 year old boys? Hamilton not an option!
Dinner where?
Was wondering about Serendipity 3 for a little something?

Needs to be child friendly of course.
To be honest just spending the day wandering round NY will be present enough and I can't think of anything better!
However I am a big believer in planning to get the most of our trips. California was planned out to the nth degree! DH laughed about it before but admitted whilst we were there that he was really glad I had as we saw so much more. As a family we do have a habit of faffing about deciding what we might do and then waste a load of time looking at maps etc. If we have an itinerary it works better for us.
So expect detailed plans for Thurs-Sun as we get nearer the time. Big film fans - so iconic film location ideas also appreciated e.g 70's film buffs

Thanks for reading so far

Old 2 Mar 17, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Update 3

So quick update on progress. Got distracted with a sneaky weekend away to Bratislava (very nice too) but back now and it's all about the 🇺🇸.
I have booked our Washington hotel - nothing special Comfort Inn Downtown which is a 15min walk to The White House at £500 for 3 nights it wasn't a bargain particularly but does include breakfast which for 4 of us makes a saving.

The TA reviews are pretty good so reasonably happy with this. I have free cancellation just in case anything better comes up but if not I'm happy here.

So Washington - what to do and how much can we pack in. Realistically we don't expect to do much on the travel day from NY especially as we plan on stopping off in Philadelphia and Gettysburg on our way down. So that leaves us with 2 full days which isn't going to be enough time for everything, a common theme by now.
The youngest members of the team would love to go to the zoo - there are pandas and it is free!

However from previous experience I know how a zoo trip can take up an entire day and cant afford that so thinking of maybe an afternoon after a bit of sightseeing in the morning maybe.
But other than that it's the usual things, Washington monument, Lincoln Memorial, Mall, Capitol, library of congress etc. So it's more planning required to see how long it'll take to get round. I usually find it all takes longer than you think it will.
We are heading to DuBois as a mid way point on our way to Niagara which I've estimated will take about 4.30 hrs but nothing to do when we get there so may have some time the morning we check out to fit in something. That's unless I find somewhere interesting en route to DuBois that we need to visit!
Finally need some recommendations for restaurants in Washington. I'm sure there must be some good ones but more research required.

Old 2 Mar 17, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
damaged
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We did something similar for our honeymoon. Started in NY went up to buffalo, on to Chicago, Missouri, Texas, Louisiana, Atlanta, Washington D.C and then finished off in NYC - phew! Was an awesome trip. I'd like to do something similar at some point but not as vast
Upcoming: Feb 24' - Hubby's 40th
damaged is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 17, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Update 4

Well just over 7 months to go and trip planning is going well.
All hotels are booked now, I'd been dithering about Niagara Falls but have ended up paying out £170 for the view and location and going for the Embassy Suites.

The restaurant view is pretty special!
It's free cancellation so if something else comes up or the price drops I can swop.
From Niagara we are heading up to Cornwall and have a cheap Ramada booked there for £80. It's an overnight we to get us to Conway more than anything and a long drive from Niagara but I figure on an early start and a stop off mid day to break it up.

The scenery on the drive looks amazing and would like to have a short boat trip if we have time maybe visit Boldt Castle?

Then it's another long drive to Conway via Ben And Jerrys Factory Shop in Vermont.

Think the kids will love this and ok us too! Good way to break up the drive.
I'm really looking forward to this part of the drive Vermont looks beautiful although sadly we will probably be too late then for leaf change.

What excites me about this road trip is there this balance between the cities and countryside. I love both, can't wait to explore NY, Washington and Boston but equally so excited about seeing the mountains and small towns along the way.

Whilst we are packing a lot in we are used to doing this kind of holiday so not worried about the boys coping with the travel. In fact they love changing hotels frequently and exploring new places. Luckily they are very close in age and get on great so don't get lonely for the company of other children. Appreciate it might not be for everyone though.

Old 19 Mar 17, 06:10 AM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

In Washington use the circulator bus to do the monuments. It is a normal bus not tourist one and is so much cheaper
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 17, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Hiya

I'm very keen to hear your plans as we are doing similar places next year - although ive ended up planning two trips as I couldn't squeeze everything in to one! Lol!

So our current plan is - one week over May half term to Toronto and Niagara. Then 19 nights in August - 3 nights NY, train to Boston (2 nts), collect hire car & drive to Stowe (3 nts), Bangor ME (1 nt), Prince Edward Island (4 nts), Nova Scotia (1 nt), cat ferry back to Maine & drive down to Cape Cod (5 nts) - fly home from Boston.

Ive been really torn about whether I should of included the White Mountains, and have read lots of great things on here about North Conway, so I am keen to hear about your trip when you get back!

We have recently returned from 5 nights in Washington DC, we actually hired a car for the day to visit Gettysburg. We had thought we would also visit Hershey whilst we were relatively near by, but Gettysburg is such an awesome place, that we needed a lot longer there than we anticipated. I suspect you might be being a bit ambitious trying to get in and out of Philly AND fitting in Gettysburg en route to DC. Philadelphia is terrific, so it's a tough choice, but to avoid disappointment, I would suggest being sure in your mind as to which place is your priority, just so that if you run out of time to fit in both, you won't be missing out on your no 1 thing!.

Oh and I can thoroughly recommend a visit to Arlington cemetery in DC as well as Georgetown for great restaurants and quaint shops - our fav meal was Sunday brunch at Farmers Fishers Bakers - but it's very popular with locals so you would need to book

Edited at 08:55 AM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List