Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 May 17, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Tell me about HKDL...

So, it appears we're off to HKDL next year! The current plan is to stay overnight in one of the hotels with a 2 day ticket. In reality we're looking at spending about a day and a half as on the second day we'll be heading off for a late afternoon flight on to Hanoi. It'll be the two of us plus a six year old. Questions:

1. Is a day and a half a reasonable amount of time? I understand there is an evening parade and fireworks - I assume worth seeing?

2. Anyone stayed at the Disneyland hotel? We're looking at having a bit of a blowout as this will be an add on to a SE Asia trip that will mostly be pretty budget friendly. Recommendations for the Disneyland Hotel or any other tips around accommodation?

3. Transport - we'll be travelling in from Kowloon (most likely) and then straight out to the airport. I understand that you change to the Disney Resort Line at Sunny Bay Station, but to get back to the airport it appears you need to change twice, is this the case? I'm assuming it to be fairly efficient and straightforward, so tell me if it's otherwise!

4. Tips... anything at all you can tell me about the HKDL experience!
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 17, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Ourdaybydesign
Excited about Disney

I can't really answer as we haven't been ourselves yet but we've just booked a night in the Explorers Lodge Hotel for 3 weeks time. They had an opening offer including a free character breakfast so wanted to do that. We have 6 nights in the city first in the Eaton Hotel.

We have 2 day tickets too but plan to use one day coming from the city then the other after we've stayed the night as we plan to go to the Buddha then explore the hotel and use the pool etc too the day we check in. As far as I'm aware that's enough time and we will make sure we see the night parade and fireworks on our first day there as we also have a flight to catch later on our last day.

As for getting to / from the airport we are intending to use taxis as we have 5 & 2 year olds so will be less hassle than navigating the mtr with us all, 4 bits of luggage and a buggy too.
Hong Kong Disneyland {1}: May 2017
Ourdaybydesign is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 17, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Okay, we went last November so let's see if I can help.

1. Day and a half is doable, we did two full days there and were happy we had covered everything we wanted to see and do. The evening parade is called Paint the Night, and is STUNNING. It was our favourite Disney evening parade EVER. The firework show also has projections on the castle and is really lovely, definitely worth seeing.

2. We stayed at Disney's Hollywood Hotel, so can't really help with the Disneyland Hotel; but ours was fantastically themed, really bright and jazzy. You will need to catch a free shuttle bus to the parks, unless you fancy a 20 minute walk there.

3. We travelled in from the airport, and then out to Kowloon afterwards. When you get to Hong Kong, get yourself an Octopus MTR card - this then covers you for buses, trains, etc., plus you can also use it in places like McDonalds, which is handy! It's like an Oyster card but with other benefits too. The train system is incredibly easy to use, efficient, runs on time, is clean and safe - we loved it. There are loads of signs up to direct you where you need to be, and they are all in English so you will be able to get around easily. Yes, you do need to get the Disney Resort Line but it is really easy to find where it goes from, and wait till you see the train itself - Disneyfied or what!

4. Tips - look for the exclusive to Hong Kong Disneyland rides, such as Mystic Manor; experience the food in the park, it is amazing and so fresh and tasty; be prepared to have your photo taken randomly with strangers, for some reason they love Westerners and think we are quite fascinating; the park is incredibly lush and green, which can make it very hot and humid though, so watch you keep hydrated properly; the Castle is TINY, but very pretty; watch the Festival of the Lion King show - very different to Florida's version, more faithful to the film and with less circus bits, but totally beautiful; Jungle Cruise has a separate queue for English-speaking guests, although be aware your Skipper will probably still be Chinese and may talk a bit quickly, making him difficult to hear/understand; ride the Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine cars in the evening, if you can - it is a totally different experience in the dark, just fantastic; if you like citrus flavours, try the Citrus Honey Iced drink from the Main Street Bakery - it has yuzu in it, which is an Asian fruit that tastes delicately of lemon, lime and grapefruit and is the best thing I have ever tasted in my life; also from the Bakery, try the Cheese Subs - warm, brown bread rolls filled with cheesy mashed potato and topped with more cheese - sounds weird but seriously delicious; there is not a huge selection of adult t-shirts available, just to warn you; and finally, check out your resort shop - there are lots of little things in there (such as particular key rings) that aren't available in the park. There is also a Disney Store at the airport that sells things from the park, in case you have any more room in your case by that point!

Have fun!
Old 3 May 17, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Ourdaybydesign
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post

1. Day and a half is doable, we did two full days there and were happy we had covered everything we wanted to see and do. The evening parade is called Paint the Night, and is STUNNING. It was our favourite Disney evening parade EVER. The firework show also has projections on the castle and is really lovely, definitely worth seeing.

2. We stayed at Disney's Hollywood Hotel, so can't really help with the Disneyland Hotel; but ours was fantastically themed, really bright and jazzy. You will need to catch a free shuttle bus to the parks, unless you fancy a 20 minute walk there.

3. We travelled in from the airport, and then out to Kowloon afterwards. When you get to Hong Kong, get yourself an Octopus MTR card - this then covers you for buses, trains, etc., plus you can also use it in places like McDonalds, which is handy! It's like an Oyster card but with other benefits too. The train system is incredibly easy to use, efficient, runs on time, is clean and safe - we loved it. There are loads of signs up to direct you where you need to be, and they are all in English so you will be able to get around easily. Yes, you do need to get the Disney Resort Line but it is really easy to find where it goes from, and wait till you see the train itself - Disneyfied or what!

4. Tips - look for the exclusive to Hong Kong Disneyland rides, such as Mystic Manor; experience the food in the park, it is amazing and so fresh and tasty; be prepared to have your photo taken randomly with strangers, for some reason they love Westerners and think we are quite fascinating; the park is incredibly lush and green, which can make it very hot and humid though, so watch you keep hydrated properly; the Castle is TINY, but very pretty; watch the Festival of the Lion King show - very different to Florida's version, more faithful to the film and with less circus bits, but totally beautiful; Jungle Cruise has a separate queue for English-speaking guests, although be aware your Skipper will probably still be Chinese and may talk a bit quickly, making him difficult to hear/understand; ride the Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine cars in the evening, if you can - it is a totally different experience in the dark, just fantastic; if you like citrus flavours, try the Citrus Honey Iced drink from the Main Street Bakery - it has yuzu in it, which is an Asian fruit that tastes delicately of lemon, lime and grapefruit and is the best thing I have ever tasted in my life; also from the Bakery, try the Cheese Subs - warm, brown bread rolls filled with cheesy mashed potato and topped with more cheese - sounds weird but seriously delicious; there is not a huge selection of adult t-shirts available, just to warn you; and finally, check out your resort shop - there are lots of little things in there (such as particular key rings) that aren't available in the park. There is also a Disney Store at the airport that sells things from the park, in case you have any more room in your case by that point!

Have fun!

Oooh loved all those recommendations too. Ill keep them in mind when we go!
Hong Kong Disneyland {1}: May 2017
Ourdaybydesign is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 17, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Thank you so much Silvercat, very helpful!

OurDayByDesign - I will keep a look out for your trip report. I have seen the the Explorers Lodge has just opened, so will be interested to hear how you find it. I'm still swayed towards the Disneyland hotel at the moment as I've always fancied staying in one of them somewhere, and this seems a good opportunity! Enjoy your trip!
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 17, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

adult t-shirts - just back a few days ago and quite a few shops had a table with lots of t-shirts (including up to adult XL) on offer - around £21 each or buy 2 get 50% OFF OR BUY 4+ and get 70% off so hubby bought 7 for PJ tops!
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 17, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisdisney
Apprentice Imagineer

Me and my partner and our friend from Shanghai had the best time ever at Disneyland Hong Kong. We was there from the opening to the closing of the park its such a great place. I have been to Anaheim Disney and all the parks in Florida but this park has something special about it. it has all the Disney magic you need. The park has some great rides like Hyperspace Mountain to the amazing Grizzly Gulch Ride. We loved watching all the parades especially the flights of fantasy parade to the amazing paint the night parade now that is something you really have to see! Its one of the most amazing night time Disney parades i have seen. There was a bit of a queue to meet the characters but its like that in every park. I have to say that the food here is incredible! All the cast members were so friendly too! We all loved every second of our day at Disneyland Hong Kong and i cant wait to go back! Its also very easy to get to from the City of Hong Kong by the MTR. You will love every second of it.
chrisdisney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 17, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chrisdisney View Post
Me and my partner and our friend from Shanghai had the best time ever at Disneyland Hong Kong. We was there from the opening to the closing of the park its such a great place. I have been to Anaheim Disney and all the parks in Florida but this park has something special about it. it has all the Disney magic you need. The park has some great rides like Hyperspace Mountain to the amazing Grizzly Gulch Ride. We loved watching all the parades especially the flights of fantasy parade to the amazing paint the night parade now that is something you really have to see! Its one of the most amazing night time Disney parades i have seen. There was a bit of a queue to meet the characters but its like that in every park. I have to say that the food here is incredible! All the cast members were so friendly too! We all loved every second of our day at Disneyland Hong Kong and i cant wait to go back! Its also very easy to get to from the City of Hong Kong by the MTR. You will love every second of it.
glad we're not the only ones - we've been to all parks and this is still our favourite one! it's so manageable and comfortable but has plenty to occupy us and lots of character meets too - not too long lines when we visited last Thursday but longer on Friday. Iron Man ride is new so something else to ride and lines everywhere were 5 mins last Thursday as well (about 20 mins on Friday).
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 17, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

Mobile

I have two spare Disneyland Hong Kong guide maps if anyone would like one.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 17, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post

Have fun!
Hi there, do you mind me asking who you booked your trip with please? We're looking at going in October next year but haven't really got a clue where to start!

Thanks in advance xx
pink glitter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List