Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Jun 17, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Who do you book with?

As the title says, who do you book with for HK, Shanghai etc? The cheapest deals I have found are through Expedia but Ive never used them before so not sure how reliable they are.

Thanks xx
pink glitter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 17, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Booked with British Airways as they fly direct and your on a A380, then used hotels.com as we had a free night to cash in. If you have plans to go to vietnam as well, we used jetstar who were cheap and great to fly with 😀
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 17, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by erniebert1 View Post
Booked with British Airways as they fly direct and your on a A380, then used hotels.com as we had a free night to cash in. If you have plans to go to vietnam as well, we used jetstar who were cheap and great to fly with 😀
Fab, thank you. Just looked at BA and was pleasantly surprised how competitive they are. I will check out Hotels com now, thanks 👍
pink glitter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 17, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I almost always book flights directly with the airlines (can use sites like kayak etc to find out which airlines might be the cheaper ones for your dates).

Hotels - either directly with the hotel if it's a chain hotel (e.g. Sheraton), or with sites like Expedia or booking.com. I've used both Expedia and booking.com multiple times and generally not had too much of an issue, bonus is that Expedia often has coupon codes (and they used to have good Quidco cashback but not sure if they still do this).
Old 8 Jun 17, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

I search flights using skyscanner.net and google flights. If you're thinking of visiting more than one city in China do consider open jaw (aka multi-city) flights (i.e. Fly into Shanghai and return from Beijing).

If you stay in hotels regularly then I'd book with the brand (i.e. Marriott). If not then hotels.com has a simple scheme whereby every night you stay is logged and after 10 nights you get a free one. Expedia can also be a good idea as if you register with them they frequently send online coupons for discounts. Finally, try visiting Trivago.co.uk which compares the prices offered by several travel agents for each hotel...
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 17, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Thank you both, I'm glad I asked now, some really helpful information - thanks 👍
Old 8 Jun 17, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted-nadi
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

For Tokyo .We booked with Cathay Pacific (excellent flights) .
Then rented a lovely modern house with air BnB with lovely Aussie owners who rent property all over Tokyo .
We were based in shinjuku which was easy to get to places from and very fun itself . We got the bus to Disneysea which cost about £9 and took 30-40 mins from shinjuku bus station .
We used underground to get around . Was wonderful

My heart belongs to uncle Walt
Orlando/Paris/Cali/HongKong/Tokyo ✔️
Shanghai one day
Enchanted-nadi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 17, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Enchanted-nadi View Post
For Tokyo .We booked with Cathay Pacific (excellent flights) .
Then rented a lovely modern house with air BnB with lovely Aussie owners who rent property all over Tokyo .
We were based in shinjuku which was easy to get to places from and very fun itself . We got the bus to Disneysea which cost about £9 and took 30-40 mins from shinjuku bus station .
We used underground to get around . Was wonderful
Wow that sounds amazing ❤️ Cathay Pacific seem to be really expensive 😔 Will check airbnb though, thanks x
Old 8 Jun 17, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

Airfares are not based at all on a perceived value for the seat, but on what the airlines can get. It's one reason why apart from the corporate suits who get there business airfares paid, there's little point in airline loyalty.

Looking now, Cathay are really pricey for my China flights, nowhere near the cheapest, but last November when I booked them, Cathay was the cheapest at £400pp return. If BA had offered that price I would have gone with them.

My work, holidays and family issues have seen me cross the pond about a dozen times in the last 3 years, and I've flown with American, BA, Air Canada, Delta, Jet2, Air Transat, Thomson, Thomas Cook, United and Virgin. There's no real time or reason as to who will be the cheapest, but long haul flights are about searching regularly and often till you find that bargain.
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 17, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob View Post
Airfares are not based at all on a perceived value for the seat, but on what the airlines can get. It's one reason why apart from the corporate suits who get there business airfares paid, there's little point in airline loyalty.

Looking now, Cathay are really pricey for my China flights, nowhere near the cheapest, but last November when I booked them, Cathay was the cheapest at £400pp return. If BA had offered that price I would have gone with them.

My work, holidays and family issues have seen me cross the pond about a dozen times in the last 3 years, and I've flown with American, BA, Air Canada, Delta, Jet2, Air Transat, Thomson, Thomas Cook, United and Virgin. There's no real time or reason as to who will be the cheapest, but long haul flights are about searching regularly and often till you find that bargain.
Thanks BrightlyBob, BA are coming in very cheap at the moment, I shall keep searching 😀