Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 6 Jul 17, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
4 Hotels,12 Theme Parks!?!Call That A Holiday?Yes,I Call It Heaven!May 2017,Day 9 Hashhouse/Shopping

Day 9 Hash Houseagogo/shopping Day/Teak

INDEX

We had a bit of a later start today. It was my dreaded day. The shopping day. I did make sure that I sandwiched it in between two fine eateries though

We were out about 9am so probably our latest start of the holiday. For shopping we decided against going to the Florida Mall. We'd been a few times and to be honest is no different from a mall back home. When I was a kid a Florida Mall was something to behold(along with buying a second pair of Levi's for 99c on Idrive) We'd be trying the Premium Outlets at the North end of Idrive. We'd been briefly to the Outlets at the South end on our last trip so thought we'd give this one ago.

First we'd be stopping for breakfast. Hash Houseagogo was on the way so made sense to try here I did take the wrong turn(again) and ended going down the I4 which was highly annoying.

It was fairly quiet when we walked in around 9.30am. Shown to a nice large table and had a good look at the large menu. I'd say more of a brunch menu.

Lily chose a choc chip flapjack(pancake) with sausage and scrambled egg. This was huge. She really liked it.

Evie had the kids French toast with sausage. She had bacon as well. Loved it but again massive for a kids portion.

Kelly had French toast(again) Very nice.

I had the tractor driver combo. I had this without eggs. So far the only place that didn't sub something else for me instead of eggs yet still charged me full price I made mine a snickers flapjack. Very nice but the sausage was a little over cooked. Huge flapjack I couldn't finish.

I had a $40 off Voucher I bought at Travelzoo so I paid $31 including a good tip. So $71 would have been a pricy breakfast.

We all enjoyed this bar ONE BIG THING. We sat down and I took a picture. Someone who worked there kindly offered to take our picture, moving us to one table and taking group photos, next thing he's using his camera and then explains he does photos, key rings etc and if we want them it's no charge as he works for tips. He said he would see us later. Bit annoying but we had a joke amongst ourselves about cleverly avoiding him on our way out. While just finishing off he comes over and gives the kids the photos and key rings first before we can say no, giving me business cards in case I need a DJ() all a bit pushy. Felt pressured into giving him money for something we didn't want. Bit of a an easy pushover Food was great but this has put me off the place a bit.

The Premium Outlets were two minutes down the road. In that time I mentally prepared myself for my torture to come. Put on a brave face, grin and bear it, Kelly likes it so be a man all that kind of thing. The place looked ominously large when we arrived. Fear is the mindkiller

Once I put it in park, Kelly and the girls were off. I took a sensible route towards the first shop, Kelly went right across the middle of the car park and across the road in about 3 steps. I'm not going to lie, I don't have the best recollection of the shops we went in.

What I do remember, Kelly got a Vera Bradley bag and I treated her to a Kipling Bag. Why she needed more than one I don't know.

The girls got weirdly excited about buying mini hand gel sanitisers in the Bath And Body Shop . They bought a load each. They could attach them to bags etc. Kelly also bought as per my notes saying Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream(?) and I also have another note about Vera Bradley but I'm not sure if that's the one from earlier. My mind was in a spin.

Next it was to the Converse Shop, it may have been next, it could have been 6 shops later, like a drunk I seem to have blacked out much of this. Being the super Dad I am I bought the girls some Converse each. Nice patterned ones for Evie and shiny ones for Lily.

After this we were into the Sketchers shop. I had bought Sketchers before our last trip and loved them so I was planning on making a purchase here. It was buy a pair and get a second pair half price. Kelly came away with 3 pairs as I bought her a pair when I got mine for half price.

Next it was into the Disney outlet store. This wasn't that great to be honest. We went to the one out the South Outlets last time and a Kelly thought that was better. They still managed a fair amount of time there while I called dibs on a seat outside.( I did that a few times) Lily bought the worlds ugliest Belle doll. It looked like Christopher Lambert.

Next to Downey And Burke. I have no idea what that is. It sounds like something out of Harry Potter but I could be wrong. The girls bought a few bit in Claire's as well.

We then earned a welcome break in the food court for a drink while we discussed our next move. There was a Five Guys in this one but I didn't want to ruin my appetite for later. It was about 1.30pm and we planned on having an early dinner tonight. We had a couple of hours to kill so it was suggested another supermarket. I was extremely excited by this notion(not) but it was Kelly's shopping day so was happy to go. I had a check on Google Maps for the closest one. We been to Walmart before but never Super Target and that what was coming out as the nearest.

It was about a 15-20 minute drive. My notes are a little slacking but it may have been near the Mall of Millenia. First impressions were that it was far nicer than Walmart . Kelly and the girls were soon off trawling through the aisles looking happy as anything. I was on trolley duty and got lost in my own world while they looked around. I had look in the electronics bit for a new strap for my Samsung Gear watch that had annoyingly broken the day before but it was mainly Apple. We did note that they had the huge Samsung Note. This is an 18inch tablet but it was just a display item for online video and they didn't stock it. The Samsung Note is ideal for Evie as the screen is so big. It sowed a seed for later in the holiday. We probably spent a good hour in there. The girls bought a few bits and bobs, Evie a rash vest but nothing massive. Lily predictably bought more Harry Potter things. We got some more spray on sun tan lotion which was way cheaper than at home or in the theme parks. Once done I think we decided that Walmart would be a thing of the past in future trips.

Next on to something I had been desperate to do on our last couple of trips but never had the chance to do. Teak Neighborhood Grill. After I was a good boy at shopping I got to go! I was a little worried after 4Rivers how they would like this place. It was about a 20 minute drive from Super Target.

We were having an early dinner so we could go for a swim and then to Universal so it was pretty quiet.

Very friendly staff gave us the menu and took drink orders while we took our time looking through the extensive menu.

The girls got the kids burgers, they both really liked them.

Yes that's a kids burger!

Kelly was really undecided about what to get but in the end went for The Fundamental which was
provolone cheese, bibb lettuce, tomato, onion ring & bistro sauce(think Big Mac sauce) served on toasted brioche bun. She got this with sweet potato tata tots. She said it was great.

I went for The Pig which was smoked ham, bacon & pulled pork topped with white cheddar cheese, onion jam & herb mayo served on pretzel bun. I got mine with garlic fries. I loved this.

Me and Kelly both finished them and the girls did a good job as well.

So pleased it was good as I had high hopes and so pleased we made the effort to go. Highly recommended. $60 with tip and drinks.

Once we had done we had another little 10-15 minute drive back to Cabana Bay where the girls were once again eager to go for a swim after we unloaded our wares.

Once we had had a swim we headed off to the bus stop to go Universal for the evening. We wanted to see Diagon Alley at night. Again the bus was waiting for us rather than the other way round. The journey started fine but then it became clear that something was afoot at Universal. The traffic was absolutely crazy. We were stuck in the bus for at least half an hour just by the drop off point for Citywalk which was really annoying.

Close but not close enough. Once we finally arrived there were hoards of people leaving so we were starting to get an ominous feeling. Walking through Citywalk was really tough. We just assumed it was the crowds leaving from IOA which was shutting at 6pm and it was just after that. Unfortunately for us it was both parks shutting. US was supposed to be open until 9pm but was closed for a private event. Something to do with a graduation. Really frustrating especially as we got stuck on the bus getting there.

We decided against getting the bus back and much to the annoyance of the girls we decided to walk back to Cabana Bay. We went via the RPR route as I remembered seeing signs for it when we walked to RPR earlier in the week. It took us about 20 minutes or so and was fairly easy apart from the moaning.

We promised the girls a snack at the food court once we got back.

I got a couple of cookies. Only 99c each.

Lily got a pastry. Then cried as she didn't like it. She cried until Kelly gave in and got her something else. She got the odd combo of apples, carrots and yoghurt.

Kelly and Evie both went for frozen yoghurt. This was self serve from a machine. Kelly got cake mix and chocolate and Evie girls vanilla and chocolate and added toppings like worms and Oreos. School boy error. This was done by weight not by the tub. Together they cost $15

Nice though and I added some to my cookies to make a sort of adapted ice cream sandwich.

I think Lily was really tired at this point and was being really grumpy. So once we were done we headed back to the room. We had a fairly early night. Not a bad day for a shopping day apart from the wasted trip to Universal.

Edited at 08:15 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Well done for being brave at the shops! DH hates it as much as you! Sounds like a great day until Universal, they really should advertise better when they close early. X
Old 6 Jul 17, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
JenD1
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Wow just seen 2 days worth! Going to jump on the next day. George we're kindred spirits! I loathe shopping yet DH will be going to Vineland alone cos he loves it
Old 6 Jul 17, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Wow that is some shopping haul.well done you for surviving 😀
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 17, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

It always cracks me up how much you hate shopping, you remind me of my OH. At home he'll want to stand outside the shops with me but in America he has to come in if he wants some air-con heehee.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 17, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Well you survived shopping day. We like Super target too but so easy to spend loads. Glad Teak was a hit.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 17, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Well done for being brave at the shops! DH hates it as much as you! Sounds like a great day until Universal, they really should advertise better when they close early. X
Most hated day but has to be done It was advertised as IOA for the special event and then they changed it to Universal Studios. Bit annoying.

Originally Posted by JenD1 View Post
Wow just seen 2 days worth! Going to jump on the next day. George we're kindred spirits! I loathe shopping yet DH will be going to Vineland alone cos he loves it
If I could boycott that day I would.

Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
Wow that is some shopping haul.well done you for surviving
None of it mine apart from trainers

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
It always cracks me up how much you hate shopping, you remind me of my OH. At home he'll want to stand outside the shops with me but in America he has to come in if he wants some air-con heehee.
Part of me feels we are wasting theme park time

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Well you survived shopping day. We like Super target too but so easy to spend loads. Glad Teak was a hit.
Even I'll admit Super Target was better than Walmart
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 17, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Mobile

Well done for surviving the shopping day, the girls got s good haul! Dinner looks yummy
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 17, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A great shopping day you got a lot

Joan
Old 8 Jul 17, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by EJSakaAnna View Post
Well done for surviving the shopping day, the girls got s good haul! Dinner looks yummy
I won't have to do that again for a couple of years

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A great shopping day you got a lot

Joan
The others did, just trainers for me