Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 29 Jul 17, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post

DLP review - lenghty, but part of my post Disney therapy :)

Hi all

Just back from DLP so I thought I'd write a review to get over the post Disney Blues. I went direct Eurostar from London having left in the morning on 23rd July and returning last night (28th July). I stayed at Newport Bay Club. I did not have a meal plan, but did have breakfast included in the hotel for free as I booked last year. I went with my wife and two daughters (5 and 3).

Eurostar

I went on one of their old stock which is ageing a bit, but it was fine. Comfortable and on time. I would recommend travelling direct. The easiest journey I have ever taken for a holiday. It is so great to arrive there and home relatively relaxed.

General observations

I had received so many warnings about smoking and the behaviour of guests, I half expected chain smoking marauding Frenchmen to be running through the park knocking over my daughters. Given that expectation I was pleasantly surprised. I saw smoking, but not that much. Everyone was polite and I saw no queue jumping. My wife did, however, when she was queuing for Minnie and on Pirates. She was a lot less happy when she was queueing between 11.30 and 5pm. We generally queued at quieter times i.e. EMH, after 10pm or on rides without queues during the busier times. Perhaps people were less stressed during those times.

I also thought the Cast Members were, by and large, very good. They are not peppy like Americans, but as a Brit I really don't mind that. They were very friendly and many were very good with the kids. On some of the themed rides like Phantom Manor or Tower of Terror they liked to act a bit.

Newport Bay Club

Every inch its 4* rating. The refurbishment was stunning. The staff polite and the check in efficient. The Concierge was very helpful. The rooms were lovely and spacious. When we got there I could not get into the safe and they sent someone straight up. The shop was beautiful and there was a character each day. The queue for that was manageable. The breakfast was outstanding. A really good selection of hot and cold food. It was busy but I never queued - we were generally there before 8, but even at 8/8.15 as we left the queue was short. We were not given a breakfast slot. You just turn up. Again, I heard lots of horror stories about breakfast being a nightmare. Perhaps charging has had the desired effect.

Disneyland Park

I have been to Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. For atmosphere and theming I think Disneyland Park blows them out of the water. I have never wanted to just spend time in a park, wander round and soak it all in. Maybe it is because I now have young kids and am a bit older so I can't blitz. This was my first trip to DLP so I can't compare to the pre refurb rides, but Pirates was astonishing. The best ride I have been in in any theme park. I would say the same about Big Thunder in terms of roller coasters. Star Tours was also very enjoyable. Phantom Manor was ok - I read the story afterwards and I wish I had before! It makes more sense, but I think they need to fix that with their planned refurb.

The Kids adored It’s a Small World (which we went on 3 times) and Peter Pan (which we did 5 times, twice in a row on the first morning). I thought they were excellent. Wonderfully bright and engaging. Dumbo, Orbitron, Autopia and the Carousel were also hits. They liked Buzz, but I think were a bit young to get that competitive spirit. As an avid gamer, my brain flooded with endorphins every time I hit a target and I wanted to get back on, but never did sadly.
The parade blew me away. The weather wasn’t great overall, but we were lucky that the sun was shining for the parade. In fact, at almost exactly the moment it started, the sun came out from behind a cloud. The work and engineering that went into these floats was brilliant. Malaficent blew fire and my jaw dropped. You go to Disney for these type of experiences that you cannot get elsewhere and they delivered. We stood by it’s a Small World – you basically enter the queueing area. We got there 15 minutes early and that was fine. The view is perfect. Obviously you cannot interact with the characters, but they wave at you.

Forest of Enchantment was very good – obviously shorter, but as good as anything I have seen in the West End. My daughters loved the Princess Waltz, although I hope the message that all you need is a handsome prince to make your dreams come true isn’t taken too literally 😊

Nighttime show: I have heard a lot of people say this is inferior to its predecessor. I haven’t seen that so I don’t know. This show was brilliant. Great effects and classic Disney scenes with music. What more could you want? It didn’t have that coherent a story, which I believe some of these shows do, but I went twice!

So overall very positive and whilst this Park is obviously brilliant by general international standards, I think it is falling behind the elite. It does need, I think, a few more e-ticket attractions and I would like to see the technology raised a notch or two. But we know, given the financial troubles, this will never happen.

It has sated my Disney appetite, but I suspect I won’t go back for quite a while and if I do it’ll be a short pop in to go with a bigger summer holiday. I need to go to Florida!

The Studios

Again, I had warnings. Described by one American commentator as ‘horrible’ and by many others as the worst Disney theme park ever built my expectations were low. Which I think helped. We spent half a day out of 5 there. It was very grey and drizzly. And I have to say for a Disney park it was poorly themed with little or no atmosphere. It was comparable to my local theme parks.
But we did enjoy ourselves. The Art of Animation was good. My wife and daughter love drawing and I was pretty fascinated by it all. I snuck on Tower of Terror, which was very good, although not a patch on the US version. But. Wait for it. MICKEY AND THE MAGICIAN. The best thing I did in the whole holiday. I may go as far as saying possibly the best thing I have done in any Disney theme park. Worth the admission price alone. West End quality and a total must see. I did the magic carpet ride with my youngest, which she enjoyed.

There. I feel much better. I love answering questions so ask away.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

great review nick .
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Great review. We will be at Newport Bay soon (first time staying there) and I'm glad you loved it. We can't wait to see it!

I really felt like you had taken me back to my 'happy place' reading your review. We go every year except twice when we've done WDW instead. It is so easy to do an inexpensive trip - offsite hotels are very close and easy to reach.

I'm sure you'll go again!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks. I will go again I'm sure. Maybe it is cos my wife is less enthusiastic that I'm being realistic. 5 days was perfect with two young kids for a first trip. When they are a bit older I suspect we could do it more quickly. I would always stay on site. Loved being able to walk to the parks
Old 29 Jul 17, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We were pleasantly surprised by the Studios. I loved the whole Ratatouille area. Cars theming and the toy story Areas too. And agree Mickey and the Magician is superb.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We were pleasantly surprised by the Studios. I loved the whole Ratatouille area. Cars theming and the toy story Areas too. And agree Mickey and the Magician is superb.
To be fair I didn't go there! My wife was worried about motion sickness so we didn't go to Ratatouille. It is actually well themed and for most theme parks you'd be very happy. I am judging against Disney standards. It is a high spec Mondeo with leather upholstery - perfectly good and reliable car with some luxury and good features, but I want a Rolls Royce.
Old 29 Jul 17, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Absolutely agree with you on Studios, and pretty much the whole review. Although my room at NB wasn't great and Pirates was still closed when I was there, so didn't get to see it. And I hated PP, it was down shortly before I rode it which didn't help I think - VERY jerky.

The Ratatouille area is definitely much better themed than the rest of Studios, it feels like it was actually built by Disney! But your wife was probably wise to avoid it if she has motion sickness. I do but braved the ride anyway and had to go lie down for an hour! Going to have to pack tablets for WDW because I'm determined to go on FoP.

Edited at 07:01 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

That's a shame about motion sickness. I'm no good if spinning (mission space left me wanting to lie down) but I was absolutely fine in Ratatouille. It's one of the best rides I've been on.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post

I really wanted to go on Ratatouille. I went on Star Tours without ill effects. But then Orbitron did push me a little close to the edge, although I didn't feel sick. If I could have gone on my own at night (as I did with all the other E-tickets) I would have. Didn't plan the Studios that well. Managed to sneak onto Tower of Terror with a Fast Pass, but then got a bit side tracked. I was focussed on getting into Mickey and the Magician at all costs. My youngest saw the magic carpet and demanded we went on (had had enough tantrums by that point ). We got off just as they opened the doors for Mickey and I sneaked in with a few seconds to spare.

Edited at 07:43 PM.
Old 29 Jul 17, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks for your review. It sounds like you had a great time. Makes me look forward to our trip to Newport bay even more.
2018 DLP Newport bay
2019 DLP Newport bay
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List