Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Aug 17, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
gtyrel10
VIP Dibber

Shanghai, HK and Singapore help?

Hi Dibbers,

Looking for some advice for our Asia trip that is currently in the very early planning stages.

Our current plan is to take advantage of the transit waiver and stop in at shanghai to visit Disney and then a couple of days in shanghai.

After that we will travel to HK but at present my OH is saying I have to pick either shanghai Disney or HK not both (he's not a fan) for the people who have done both what would you recommend? I feel like being in shanghai we need to visit it and that maybe if I plan HK well I nought I could create a spare day that we just need to fill with Disney! Anyway thoughts welcome.

Other thing I was hoping you dibbers might be able to advise on is Singapore and hotels. Looking for something reasonably priced and some help on best location. So far I'm looking at Sheraton towers but no idea where it's best to locate yourself in Singapore (cause there's no chance he's letting me get to universal studios )

Any help and advice would be most appreciated dibbers!

Gemma xxx
gtyrel10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I think I would prefer Shanghai over HK (but keep in mind the one time I went to HKDL was in 2010 before Mystic Manor/etc expansions). Shanghai has some very cool stuff like Pirates and Tron - Pirates there is so completely different from any of the other Pirates rides and is extremely well done. Shanghai is also very new and as such there are nice high tech additions to things like Buzz Lightyear and Peter Pan.

HKDL is very close to the airport so maybe you could try for an argument for it that way?

I live in Singapore but had to look up where Sheraton Towers is. Looks like a decent location as it's near the Newton MRT station - the MRT (Tube) is one of the easiest/cheapest ways to get around Singapore. Quite frankly though Singapore is so small that getting around isn't usually a huge issue!
Old 13 Aug 17, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
gtyrel10
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I think I would prefer Shanghai over HK (but keep in mind the one time I went to HKDL was in 2010 before Mystic Manor/etc expansions). Shanghai has some very cool stuff like Pirates and Tron - Pirates there is so completely different from any of the other Pirates rides and is extremely well done. Shanghai is also very new and as such there are nice high tech additions to things like Buzz Lightyear and Peter Pan.

HKDL is very close to the airport so maybe you could try for an argument for it that way?

I live in Singapore but had to look up where Sheraton Towers is. Looks like a decent location as it's near the Newton MRT station - the MRT (Tube) is one of the easiest/cheapest ways to get around Singapore. Quite frankly though Singapore is so small that getting around isn't usually a huge issue!
Thank you for this that's really helpful, I hadn't realised it was near the airport might be able to just leave him in the airport while I got to Disney

Ah ok that's really good to know so any hotel should be a good option then, as opposed to being over in sentosa or do you think it's actually small enough that we'd get away with doing that?

Must be amazing living out there.

Thanks again xxx
gtyrel10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Ben1993
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Haven't been to SDL yet but HKDL is fantastic. If you only have 1 day, HKDL is pretty easy to do, crowds are fairly low most of the time (compared to the other parks) and there's some brilliant unique attractions like Mystic Manor and Grizzly.

SDL also has some unique attractions particularly their mind blowing version of Pirates, but the park is likely to be busier and takes a lot more walking around as it's a lot larger in footprint.

You can't go wrong either way I think, take a look at the attraction line ups and see which appeals most maybe
Old 14 Aug 17, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Ourdaybydesign
Excited about Disney

I haven't been to Shanghai but we did Hong Kong Disneyland in May for 2 days and loved it so would definitely recommend if you are there anyway.

The Mystic Manor ride is amazing and my son loved the new Iron Man. Their space mountain is already Hyperspace Mountain too. The parades and character meets were great too and so much quieter than when we had been in Paris in March.
Hong Kong Disneyland {1}: May 2017
Ourdaybydesign is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gtyrel10 View Post
Thank you for this that's really helpful, I hadn't realised it was near the airport might be able to just leave him in the airport while I got to Disney

Ah ok that's really good to know so any hotel should be a good option then, as opposed to being over in sentosa or do you think it's actually small enough that we'd get away with doing that?

Must be amazing living out there.

Thanks again xxx
Actually I think staying on Sentosa may be more of a disadvantage, in that it's further away from the city (need to take a monorail or bus or walk to get to Harbourfront MRT station). But then again, Singapore is really small. And taxis are affordable!
Old 14 Aug 17, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
gtyrel10
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ben1993 View Post
Haven't been to SDL yet but HKDL is fantastic. If you only have 1 day, HKDL is pretty easy to do, crowds are fairly low most of the time (compared to the other parks) and there's some brilliant unique attractions like Mystic Manor and Grizzly.

SDL also has some unique attractions particularly their mind blowing version of Pirates, but the park is likely to be busier and takes a lot more walking around as it's a lot larger in footprint.

You can't go wrong either way I think, take a look at the attraction line ups and see which appeals most maybe
Brilliant advice thank you, I think we are swaying to the idea of dropping Shanghai and going for HKDL as it really does look so cute. So now to just decide on hotels and all the other things to do in HK. Xx

Originally Posted by Ourdaybydesign View Post
I haven't been to Shanghai but we did Hong Kong Disneyland in May for 2 days and loved it so would definitely recommend if you are there anyway.

The Mystic Manor ride is amazing and my son loved the new Iron Man. Their space mountain is already Hyperspace Mountain too. The parades and character meets were great too and so much quieter than when we had been in Paris in March.
Thank you, this is really helpful. I am thinking HK is the way forward so good to know that we can fill a day in Disney. I'm not sure how busy it will be in Feb but since we aren't huge ride people I think it will be ok to fill a day. Xx

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
Actually I think staying on Sentosa may be more of a disadvantage, in that it's further away from the city (need to take a monorail or bus or walk to get to Harbourfront MRT station). But then again, Singapore is really small. And taxis are affordable!
Ah ok good to know I think i will just need to do a bit of research to find a hotel now, thank you for your help xx
Old 15 Aug 17, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
personally, I would choose Shanghai over HK if you can only do both. It's newer, more different in comparison to other parks.

Singapore is fab! we loved it. we stayed at "So Singapore" which, location wise was great. it's right next to "satay" street which is a must do IMHO. From here we used the metro (not far from the station) to visit the rest of singapore and sentosa.

Singapore is great for food as well, some recommendations here: thenorthernwrites/2...eat-singapore/

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
also, I know you said your partner isn't a big fan but HK Disneyland is very close to other attractions, one day we spent the morning visiting Budha and the afternoon at Disney, you can easily split your time so he doesn't get bored

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gtyrel10 View Post
Ah ok good to know I think i will just need to do a bit of research to find a hotel now, thank you for your help xx
No problem

Originally Posted by Hannikins View Post
Singapore is fab! we loved it. we stayed at "So Singapore" which, location wise was great. it's right next to "satay" street which is a must do IMHO. From here we used the metro (not far from the station) to visit the rest of singapore and sentosa.

Singapore is great for food as well, some recommendations here: thenorthernwrites/2...eat-singapore/
I've only heard of Tian Tian (not eaten there though) and haven't heard of the rest! Too busy working I guess... Time to try to find someone to go with to check out the cheese/chocolate buffet...

In general food here is great! There is a huge variety, and it's generally very cheap to eat out (unless you go for more high end restaurants, or want alcohol - alcohol is expensive here!).