Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 15 Aug 17, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
The help yourself bars are the ones where you need a frequent flyer membership at a fairly high tier to be admitted so I suppose it's self regulating as cancellation of membership would void all your miles so a good incentive to not make a nusience of yourself.
Ah but the program didn't say that was how it worked did it so just making things sound worse than it is maybe ... or as Donald would say " fake news "... That is actually a clever idea you mention duchy because I bet flyers would hate to lose their privileges.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Ah but the program didn't say that was how it worked did it so just making things sound worse than it is maybe ... or as Donald would say " fake news "... That is actually a clever idea you mention duchy because I bet flyers would hate to lose their privileges.
Indeed but it wouldn't make such great sound bite TV.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Indeed but it wouldn't make such great sound bite TV.
Not been in an airport lounge that's why I thought it was strange when they were saying and showing passengers helping themselves to the drinks...I had rightly or wrongly in my head an image of being waited on for certain things ...mainly alcohol.
I'm more a boots meal deal and a runway view seat kinda girl than a lounge
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Last year 3 of DD school year were in court in Europe after being arrested on arrival & charged with being drunk/endangering flight safety etc. They were strip searched,jailed overnight & fined 1000 euros. They were 20/21 yrs old.
DD said yesterday that one of the boys girlfriend was complaining to a mutual friend that he was annoyed at how difficult it was to book a cheap weekend away now he was banned by the airline.
DD was telling me all about last night, lets just say she has no sympathy for them.
PS they denied any involvement in the incident which saw another 8 also charged. Photo's were all over the press showing them at the police/court in Europe. I felt so sorry for the airline crew & the other passengers they must have been frightened.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Although 50% increase may sound a lot but what percentage is it of actual passengers that fly?

For example they gave a figure of 350ish people being arrested last year which equates to roughly one full 777.

There was 271,624,222 passenger movements from UK airports in 2015-2016 so that make it about 0.000128854487800429% of passengers.. Not a big amount by any means.

Even if it was 5000 passengers it is 0.001840778%..

So are they over playing it a bit?

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

We have often seem drunken, loud behaviour on flights to Spanish resorts. It seems to more common than it used to be.
Both my DH and myself will have a drink or two before or during a flight so we are not against drinking. However, in such an enclosed space, often for quite a few hours, the guidelines should be:
If drunk on boarding, they shouldn't be allowed to board.
On flights, maybe a voucher system allowing 2 alcoholic drinks per person maximum.

We have used lounges at airports but they have never been self service. Seen many people drinking too much but never seen anyone refused to be served. Same in airport bars, seen many getting plastered but never refused to be served.
Maybe the rules should be enforced more.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Doubtless I'm not the only cynic that read a lot of the program as; alcohol sales keep fares lower, remove alcohol, increase fares The aggro we saw was OTT, no crew should be expected to tolerate drunken pax.

Appreciate it's years (2011) since we used The Escape at Man T2, at that point alcohol was 'help yourself'. Do all lounges now have a bar attendant who serves alcohol?
Old 16 Aug 17, 03:03 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Doubtless I'm not the only cynic that read a lot of the program as; alcohol sales keep fares lower, remove alcohol, increase fares The aggro we saw was OTT, no crew should be expected to tolerate drunken pax.

Appreciate it's years (2011) since we used The Escape at Man T2, at that point alcohol was 'help yourself'. Do all lounges now have a bar attendant who serves alcohol?
Don't know about all lounges Chris. We only use Air Canada. That is serve yourself. Usual range of spirits, wine beer etc. No one at all there to monitor the amount either. Have to say hardly any one drinking at all. Used United once as well. I have not seen this program so maybe I am talking about the wrong type of lounge am I? The ones we use mainly have business men and not your lager louts like me

Edited at 03:10 AM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Don't know about all lounges Chris. We only use Air Canada. That is serve yourself. Usual range of spirits, wine beer etc. No one at all there to monitor the amount either. Have to say hardly any one drinking at all. Used United once as well. I have not seen this program so maybe I am talking about the wrong type of lounge am I? The ones we use mainly have business men and not your lager louts like me
Hi Jo, most business class pax lounges tend to have a manned bar, not so sure about the likes of Escape, Styal. The No.1 Lounge at LGW North had a manned bar when we were there in 2012.
Old 16 Aug 17, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

BA lounges have serve yourself, but I have never seen lots of drunks staggering out.

American Airlibes lounges have a bar service, not help yourself, and for premium drinks, or water, you get vouchers.

Most lounge users don't drink lots as they normally have meetings/driving at the end of a flight
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List