Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 16 Aug 17, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

DAS or not?

Hi
We travel on Saturday and I was wondering whether I should get a DAS for ds for our Animal kingdom day and possibly the universal equivalent for our islands of adventure day.
My son has abscence seizures which is a mild form of epilepsy, they seem to get worse when he is tired.
I dont really want to draw attention to them for him as hes almost a teenager and will get self conscious.

Any thoughts?
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Hi does it stop him being able to queue? They will ask why he cant queue so be able to answer why. They wont ask for any proof though.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

No I suppose it doesn't, it can just make his seizures worse if he gets tired stood in line for ages
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
No I suppose it doesn't, it can just make his seizures worse if he gets tired stood in line for ages
If queuing in line for a long time is going to make his seizures worse I'd be inclined to apply for DAS card for him,you say you don't want to draw attention to him which I get but if he has a vacant moment in the queue unfortunately that might be what happens . Have a word with guest services its they that decide ,it's down to you to state his needs but if queuing is going to have an impact on his health I'd say yes apply for it.
Have a lovely holiday and hopefully your don copes well
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I suppose its how they affect him for example would he need to leave the queue and sit down etc. If you feel he needs one you can only try and ask on the day.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
If queuing in line for a long time is going to make his seizures worse I'd be inclined to apply for DAS card for him,you say you don't want to draw attention to him which I get but if he has a vacant moment in the queue unfortunately that might be what happens . Have a word with guest services its they that decide ,it's down to you to state his needs but if queuing is going to have an impact on his health I'd say yes apply for it.
Have a lovely holiday and hopefully your don copes well
Thank you that's a good idea
Old 16 Aug 17, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
Hi
We travel on Saturday and I was wondering whether I should get a DAS for ds for our Animal kingdom day and possibly the universal equivalent for our islands of adventure day.
My son has abscence seizures which is a mild form of epilepsy, they seem to get worse when he is tired.
I dont really want to draw attention to them for him as hes almost a teenager and will get self conscious.

Any thoughts?
If you do apply for a DAS, your son will need his photo taken with an iPad for it. Just so you can prepare him.
BarryandCaron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List