Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 28 Aug 17, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

:) Tell me about Carnival Cruise Line

So after an aborted attempt at a Disney cruise last August (booked, cancelled last minute as now husband was ill in hospital), we have tentatively booked a four night cruise in the Bahamas with Carnival Cruise lines from Port Everglades (we are not doing Orlando next year - holiday plan is Fort Lauderdale, cruise, Naples & Key West) for next August . We are on the Carnival Conquest in a balcony room.

Any tips or hints for a cruise newby?

Thanks in advance
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Leyfy View Post
So after an aborted attempt at a Disney cruise last August (booked, cancelled last minute as now husband was ill in hospital), we have tentatively booked a four night cruise in the Bahamas with Carnival Cruise lines from Port Everglades (we are not doing Orlando next year - holiday plan is Fort Lauderdale, cruise, Naples & Key West) for next August . We are on the Carnival Conquest in a balcony room.

Any tips or hints for a cruise newby?

Thanks in advance
Lots of information and reviews on Cruisecritic. There will also be a roll call for your specific cruise for exchange of ideas, etc.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Lots of information and reviews on Cruisecritic. There will also be a roll call for your specific cruise for exchange of ideas, etc.
Great, thank you. I will check that out 👍
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Great, thank you. I will check that out 👍
Just to add that we have sailed out of Fort Lauderdale many times if you need any info. Have a look at Tomsportguides for a guide to Port Everglades.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Just to add that we have sailed out of Fort Lauderdale many times if you need any info. Have a look at Tomsportguides for a guide to Port Everglades.
Thank you. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale on the 30th July and doing a few days there and then planning on a taxi to the port before the cruise. We then want to pick up a hire car to to go across to Naples. Reading up online it seems to suggest that getting a taxi to the car hire company is best? Is that good advice?
Old 28 Aug 17, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Thank you. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale on the 30th July and doing a few days there and then planning on a taxi to the port before the cruise. We then want to pick up a hire car to to go across to Naples. Reading up online it seems to suggest that getting a taxi to the car hire company is best? Is that good advice?
Your plan is good. We always get a taxi to the airport to pick up a rental car - and will be doing that again in January. The car rental centre at FLL is spacious and slick. There are rental locations nearer than the airport and they have shuttle buses BUT our experience is that they are a scrum, not pleasant at all! A taxi to the airport is $16 (10 mins) but taxi drivers don't like the short drive (low fare) to local rental locations - we had that issue one time! Also you get a better choice of cars at FLL the cars are already allocated at the local locations.
Old 28 Aug 17, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Your plan is good. We always get a taxi to the airport to pick up a rental car - and will be doing that again in January. The car rental centre at FLL is spacious and slick. There are rental locations nearer than the airport and they have shuttle buses BUT our experience is that they are a scrum, not pleasant at all! A taxi to the airport is $16 (10 mins) but taxi drivers don't like the short drive (low fare) to local rental locations - we had that issue one time! Also you get a better choice of cars at FLL the cars are already allocated at the local locations.
Excellent advice, thank you.
Old 29 Aug 17, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I've not been but most of the reports I hear are that the shorter cruises are pretty 'party party'
If you want that, you're good to go!
Old 29 Aug 17, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post

We were on the Carnival Magic in July for a 7 night Caribbean cruise and have to say it was very good overall. Our balcony cabin was very clean, quiet and well maintained, we picked a deck that had cabins above and below so away from the public decks. The food was decent, we had breakfast each morning in the dining room to avoid the buffet. Took our dinner in the main dining room each night too and actually cancelled a booking in one of the a la carte restaurants as the choice was always good. Staff were very friendly and there was a good variety of entertainment to suit all. The cruise director was brilliant and I'm not exaggerating.
Not sure if I'd been in a rush to do another Caribbean cruise, this was our 3rd and the ports are all much the same, why the cruise companies go into Belize I'll never know. The Mediterranean for our cruise next July!
I have heard stories of the 3 day cruise being a bit wild but i believe that's not just with Carnival. The 7 night one certainly wasn't and there was plenty of older couples, young families, a real mix really.

I'd definitely recommend Carnival, great vfm all round.

Edited at 02:06 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
I've not been but most of the reports I hear are that the shorter cruises are pretty 'party party'
If you want that, you're good to go!
Originally Posted by servicepoint View Post
We were on the Carnival Magic in July for a 7 night Caribbean cruise and have to say it was very good overall. Our balcony cabin was very clean, quiet and well maintained, we picked a deck that had cabins above and below so away from the public decks. The food was decent, we had breakfast each morning in the dining room to avoid the buffet. Took our dinner in the main dining room each night too and actually cancelled a booking in one of the a la carte restaurants as the choice was always good. Staff were very friendly and there was a good variety of entertainment to suit all. The cruise director was brilliant and I'm not exaggerating.
Not sure if I'd been in a rush to do another Caribbean cruise, this was our 3rd and the ports are all much the same, why the cruise companies go into Belize I'll never know. The Mediterranean for our cruise next July!
I have heard stories of the 3 day cruise being a bit wild but i believe that's not just with Carnival. The 7 night one certainly wasn't and there was plenty of older couples, young families, a real mix really.

I'd definitely recommend Carnival, great vfm all round.
Great posts, thank you. Starting to read up a little more about it as it's all brand new! Interesting about the shorter ones being the party cruises! We're going as two adults but will take everything as it comes, I guess