Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 3 Sep 17, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
4 Hotels,12 Theme Parks!?Call That A Holiday?I Call It Heaven! May'17.Day 20. MK and Fire Twirls.

Day 20

INDEX

An early start for our last full day of the holiday. Looking back now I feel we wasted a bit of this day.

First stop was the Magic Kingdom. Again we drove. The girls wanted to get the bus and I could understand the appeal getting dropped off near the front but driving was just so much easier especially when we had an adr to make. I was hoping it was going to be quieter today as it was the end of Memorial Weekend.

Parking again was no issue in the disabled section and we were once again able to walk to the Ticket and Transportation Centre where as usual we decided on getting the monorail.

This was done with no wait but the entrance to the Magic Kingdom was very busy. This day also had its opening time changed after I had made an early adr which seemed to happen for every early one I did!

We took some pictures on Main Street.

Evie's autographed bow.

It was then our breakfast adr at Crystal Palace.

This was popular last time so we had no hesitation in booking again. We had 8.10am adr.

We were called straight in but our server was a bit weird I think he thought he was funny but it went straight over the kids head

Again excuse the photos as buffets are hard to do. Breakfast included Assorted Kellogg's® Breakfast Cereals
Breakfast Meats and Potatoes
Freshly Baked Pastries
Pancakes and Waffles
Scrambled Egg and Omelette Station
Seasonal Fresh Fruit.

Characters came out pretty much every time we started eating but that's the luck of the draw. It was good interaction. We saw Tigger, Pooh, Eeore and Piglet.

We enjoyed this meal but did come away thinking we definitely were all character breakfasted out this trip.

So next was on to our first fastpass of the day. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Again. Definitely think we overdid this one! The thing was when we went in 2015 the girls loved it. It was also the tough fastpass to get. Still the girls enjoyed it and we managed to pull off some dabs on the photo bar Kelly who for some reason is making googles?!?

I was keen to try Space Mountain as I hadn't done it this trip. I don't why I say keen as it's the most painful ride ever but I wanted to try it with the girls. Kelly wasn't keen to go on so she sat on the benches near the peoplemover. This turned out to be a big error as as me and the girls got close to the ride we saw Stitch doing a Meet And Greet with no line. I couldn't see Kelly to call her over. We went and got some photos quick while it was quiet. Stitch was fun and the girls liked seeing him. He kept covering their faces on purpose. Kelly wasn't happy when we told her later.

We had used the DAS card for Space Mountain and didn't have to wait. There was a little bit of a line inside but it wasn't too bad. I was a little worried if the girls would like this especially Evie as the ride is in the dark. I needn't have worried as both girls really enjoyed it. I found it painful as ever.

Our next fastpass was with Tinkerbell. In my opinion this used to be so much better when it was at Tinkerbells Nook and took place with other fairies as well as Tinkerbell. The was a bit of wait for this so the girls amused themselves.

Tinkerbell was very good as usual. Both girls told her she jokes. Both were as follows in case you want to use them yourselves "What do you call a smelly fairy? Stinkerbell." "Why does Peter Pan always fly? Because he can Neverland." Classics.

Next we headed over to Fantasyland for our final fastpass but we were a bit early so we went to Gastons Tavern so I could get some Le Frou's Brew.

I love this stuff. Gives you brain freeze.

Evie insisted on getting one as well even though I new she wouldn't like it. Guess what? One sip was all she had. We had a bit of a panic as Lily took Evie to the toilets and walked out without her, not on purpose but she thought she was behind her. Kelly ended up having to go and find Evie who was a bit panicked.

Gaston as usual was there just as the line was closed and would return later. He seems to do it on purpose whenever we are there. We did a fly by picture instead. No idea why Kelly wants a picture with him.

So our final fastpass of the day was meeting more princesses. Cinderella, and I have personally found this true of all of the Cinderella's was pretty wooden. The Elena of Avalon was very disappointing. She didn't interact very well with girls at all. Never mind. The girls still enjoyed meeting them.

At this point in the day which was only lunchtime the girls were being pretty ratty and I think had had enough at this point so it was decided we'd leave to head back to the resort for a swim and to finish packing. Writing this now I feel a bit disappointed that we left so early. Truth be told we had done everything we wanted at the Magic Kingdom after several visits. This was out of all the places where we felt the crowds the most. We'd never seen it so consistently busy. It didn't affect us massively but it was very noticeable. It's still will always be my favourite place to be with Kelly and the girls.

So we headed out but first stopping for a Cinderella Carriage Popcorn that was $14.95

Once back I took the girls swimming while Kelly sorted out some packing. Our final swim so once we'd done I made the girls give the rubber rings to a couple of other families to use. Lily got upset as she didn't say goodbye to the rubber ring!

Even with the extra case we'd bought and the spare one we bought with us the packing was a concern! We had no idea about the weight!

We still had some snack credits remaining so we headed over to the food court.

Another Magic cookie bar for Kelly

Ice Cream Cookie sandwich for Evie with M&M cookies and mint choc chip

Ice cream cookie sandwich with cookies and cream ice cream for me. Awesome.

M&M cookie for Lily.

4 snack credits used.

We had a little bit of a look around once we'd finished and we'd not sure what be doing tomorrow. While in the shop Lily was selected to dress Duffy for the day and got a certificate to say she'd dressed him which she was pleased about.

We were pretty much set with packing and I didn't want to waste our last hours and neither did Kelly so we headed out to go the Polynesian Resort where we'd be having dinner later. The girls really wanted to get a caricatures done. At Port Orleans they weren't doing them until the evening so we hoped at the busier Polynesian there'd be someone there full time.

You'll note both girls started wearing outfits but ended changing for one reason or another!

We arrived at the Polynesian a couple of hours before our ADR. We again used the Valet parking. It was again a very impressive, lovely looking resort but it's just so busy in the main building that I personally not sure I'd like to be a guest there. We found the caricature station and it wasn't open for another hour which was annoying. We had a little around the resort. It was nice but again it was too full of people walking around doing exactly what we were doing and it just felt too busy. Some of the rooms felt very close to the walkways.

We took a seat inside to wait to get the caricatures done. While we were seated an important looking CM approached us. She asked if we were guests staying at Disney. We said yes and we were staying at Port Orleans and we were visiting the Polynesian to go to Ohana later. She asked if we'd be watching the Torch lighting ceremony. To be honest I knew nothing about it. She then explained she was looking for a family to open the Torch lighting ceremony for them and would be interested in being the said family. Immediately I thought that the girls want to get their caricatures done! She said we'd be done in time so we said ok.The announcer then came along and introduced himself and explained it all. Each evening at 6pm (Tuesday - Saturday). We had to stand with him and he introduced us to the people watching and when given a the nod had to say "Aloha" to start the ceremony. Then one of the fire-dancers from the "Spirit of Aloha Polynesian Luau" show positions himself just inside the Great Ceremonial House.
The Announcer then announced the commencement of the "Torch Lighting Ceremony." The fire-dancer then created a trumpet-like sound as he blew on a conch shell. The announcer then asked everyone in attendance to step outside. The announcer took his place behind two large drums. We were gestured to take a special seat near the front. He then began a Polynesian chant while beating the drums in rhythm. Moments later, the fire-dancer returned with a large baton, fire blazing at each end. A few ceremonial theatrics were performed with his fiery wand and then he proceeds to light several of the torches. The show continues as he "eats" fire and does an impressive baton twirling. The event lasted for maybe five to seven minutes and then we posed for photos. It was all a bit strange and I felt a bit awkward but again we'd done a few different things this trip. I was hoping once it was done we'd be given a free holiday but no such luck. They let us keep the lei's we were wearing!

Im on the right if your not sure

We had about 30 minutes before our ADR and there was still no one doing the caricatures.

The caricature artist eventually came and to be honest smelt like he'd been drinking grandpa's private medicine The girls accosted him before he'd put his case down. He had a quick look at the girls and told us he'd have them done for us after we'd finished our dinner and didn't need us to be there so we headed off to dinner for George V Ohana part III:

A meal I was nervous about. 3rd time and the other two have been disasters due to grumpy kids or a grumpy in law Its never the food that's why we're back again hoping for a different result. We checked in and only had a short wait which was unusual.

Server introduced himself but wasn't great to be honest apart from doing one thing later on. Our table was better though, not off to the side like on previous visits.

If your not sure it's buffet served family style with food brought to you.

Mixed Greens Salad with a Lilikoi dressing

‘Ohana Pineapple-Coconut Bread

Honey-Coriander Chicken Wings

served with Peanut and Sweet-n-Sour Sauces

Pork Dumplings tossed in Garlic-Ginger Sauce

served with Peanut and Sweet-n-Sour Sauces

Spicy Grilled Peel-n-Eat Shrimp

prepared over an oak fire, served on Skewers with Peanut and Sweet-n-Sour Sauces

Sweet-n-Sour Chicken

prepared over an oak fire, served on Skewers with Peanut and Sweet-n-Sour Sauces

Szechuan Sirloin Steak

Noodles, tossed in a Teriyaki Sauce with Fresh Vegetables

Stir-fried Vegetables

So on with the food pictures which I'm sure you haven't seen before

Pineapple bread. Nice

Salad. Nice

Noodles, broccoli, pot stickers, chicken wings. Nice.

Then came the lovely meat. Chicken, steak and shrimp. It was all lovely. I really enjoyed the steak.

Bit of an issue though. The server came around once with each meat then didn't appear again for AGES. I really wanted more but when he did eventually come it felt like the boat had gone.

Next issue. Lily stated moaning about the food. The server, and this was the only good thing he did brought her some Mac and cheese which she barley touched.

Entertainment was going on around the table and it was nice to be around it which weren't before being off to the side on our previous visits.

Dessert was the Ohana bread pudding with banana caramel sauce was great again. The girls had a birthday cake each as well which was nice.

Now here wheres the meal ended for us. Lily decided now to dry heave at the table and nearly threw up at the table into a napkin! The horrified look of a lady at the table next to us will haunt me forever! Kelly rushed her to the toilet. I quickly settled the check. We at least got to eat this time although not as much as I'd have liked.

Food is great but that's my lot with Ohana I think we're destined not to have a meal without incident here

George V Ohana part III: Ohana Wins again.

We headed down to see if the girls caricatures were done and no surprise he hadn't even started them. There was a slight chance we'd be heading over to the Magic Kingdom for the fireworks but that was no gone as the girls were desperate to get them done. He finished off another girls and then finally started on the girls.

He was a very nice man and told Kelly all about his work. The girls were happy with them. I thought they looked nothing like them! They cost about $40 each not including tip.

So after they were done we headed to get the car. The girls were tired and didn't want to head back to the Magic Kingdom. There was also a massive thunderstorm brewing which arrived just as we got out of the car back at Port Orleans. Overall a nice day but I felt we wasted it a little. To be fair though we'd been pretty full on most days.

Edited at 04:52 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
ronnieroobs
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

It still seems like you got a lot done. Sad your trip report is coming to an end.
ronnieroobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
I think you are right to have a more chilled afternoon nothing worse than pushing on when everyone is ratty. Anna once threw up in Ohana bathroom and we had to leave before I ate much.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

The girls caricatures are fab, worth all the hassle! Very cool you got to participate in the torch lighting ceremony.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 17, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Originally Posted by ronnieroobs View Post
It still seems like you got a lot done. Sad your trip report is coming to an end.
Thanks for reading Hopefully there will be another report one day

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
I think you are right to have a more chilled afternoon nothing worse than pushing on when everyone is ratty. Anna once threw up in Ohana bathroom and we had to leave before I ate much.
Us a family and a Ohana don't mix well Thanks for reading

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
The girls caricatures are fab, worth all the hassle! Very cool you got to participate in the torch lighting ceremony.
I felt really embarrassed doing it Still again it's a new experience
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 17, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I always find towards the end of the holiday when you've done everything you want that you don't seem to want to be in the parks constantly and it does seem like you waste time. But it was a great day.
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
We had done we wanted but still feel it's a waste while in a wet cold UK
Old 17 Sep 17, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
asapaj
Trainee Dibber

How nice to be part of the ceremony
asapaj is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 17, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mouselover22
Imagineer

I think that's a very respectable effort for a last day

Love the Seven Dwarves photo

I am going to remember those Peter Pan jokes!