Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 4 Sep 17, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
hcollins16
Excited about Disney

resale or not to resale

so we went to the dvc meeting about 2 weeks ago and we are both in love.

we are looking at about 250ish points and they were quoting us about 33,000 now i'm happy not to have the full 50 years and just wondered if resale is really better or not.

we would like to use our points on the Disney cruise but I know there are restrictions on this through resale.

please people can you offer us some advice, we currently love out in orlando so would use it for small breaks throughout the year but when we return to the uk would like a full 2 week stay.

Thanks
hcollins16 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
In your situation I would look for a 225 point contract resale at a resort you like. Then when that has been finalised do a 25 point add on via Disney. That then brings you into the full scenario of cruises etc.
Huge savings that way.
I say a resort you like as it's getting ever harder to get what you want at the 7 month window for a non home resort as opposed to the 11 month window for where you own.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I should have bought DVC years ago, but hesitated and lost!
Now - again I am tempted - but exchange rate is poor - and resale appears to be best value - but not sure I'd get my money's worth - but would be happy if family used it.
It's a big outlay, and annual fees are high?

I've always just continued renting villas offsite.
OP - keep us updated - I'd be interested in what you find and decide to do.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
hcollins16
Excited about Disney

how do you do the 25 point add on through Disney would we just contact them? im guessing then once you do the add on your whole 250 points as such would be valid for Disney cruise etc.

where is the best place to look at resale?
hcollins16 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by hcollins16 View Post
how do you do the 25 point add on through Disney would we just contact them? im guessing then once you do the add on your whole 250 points as such would be valid for Disney cruise etc.

where is the best place to look at resale?
Only the direct points would be eligible to be used on cruises and you won't get on any cruise with 25 points.

To be honest using points for cruises is pretty bad value anyway, you're better renting out your points that year and using the money you make from that to pay for a cruise in cash.
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 17, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I wouldn't use points for a cruise (actually it's a lie as I have done it but it's not a good idea)

You could rent your points out and pay for your cruise with the profits.

I'd buy enough points for 7 to 10 nights and then you can bank and borrow for 2 week stays every other year.

I'd alway but resale. The direct price is just too high.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 17, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
hcollins16
Excited about Disney

do you have any suggestion on the best resale site?

i'm so confused by it all after all the presentation etc from Disney we will definatly want to buy around 250.

with resale how many o/s years left is a good amount
Old 5 Sep 17, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LadyDebs86 View Post
Only the direct points would be eligible to be used on cruises and you won't get on any cruise with 25 points.

To be honest using points for cruises is pretty bad value anyway, you're better renting out your points that year and using the money you make from that to pay for a cruise in cash.
Is this definitely the case? I thought I'd read somewhere that as long as the resort and the use year are the same, the DVC booking system can't distinguish between your resale points and those you purchased direct.
Old 5 Sep 17, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
Is this definitely the case? I thought I'd read somewhere that as long as the resort and the use year are the same, the DVC booking system can't distinguish between your resale points and those you purchased direct.
That's what I have heard as well. However the T & Cs are very clear that only the DVC purchased points are eligible for adventure, cruises etc.
I don't think Member Services can differentiate between them.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 17, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
crux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
... I say a resort you like as it's getting ever harder to get what you want at the 7 month window for a non home resort as opposed to the 11 month window for where you own.
This is very true, every new contract sold means one more person potentially looking to book the resort you want at the 7 month window.

My advice is to buy where you want to stay, but bare in mind that may also change over time. We own at Wilderness Lodge and love the resort, but we'd prefer to stay at the Boardwalk or Beach Club (where we own some points as well) because it's simpler now I have to use a mobility scooter to get round the parks. This is the first year we haven't been able to move to Boardwalk/Beach Club at 7 months.
Beach Club Villas 2003 2006 2009 2012 2014 2015 2018
Boardwalk Villas 2016
crux is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List