Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Sep 17, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Ariel88
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Not in the slighest!

Originally Posted by lolalolo86 View Post
If anything it has got me more prepared for one. Reading everyone's advice on here and how prepared Floridians are for these things makes me just think if we are caught up in one, we would have a better idea on how to handle things.
This ^^ We tend to visit in September, although it will be next month this time around and I've been following the Irma threads very closely. I've picked up quite a few tips so if we were to get caught up in one I'd like to think we'd be more prepared because of this.

Edited at 11:03 AM.
Ariel88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
RachelE2711
Earning My Ears

Mobile

As someone who's had their honeymoon cut short 2 days due to Irma, sat at home when we should be half way there by now it's put me off going again at this time yes!
RachelE2711 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I always remember a cast member at Disney telling me that the Americans won't visit in late August & September due to the risk of storms. She was surprised that UK visitors were never put off though!
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
princess10
Swimming at the All Star Resort

Mobile

We don't mind the heat, humidity or even the downpours of August but the thought of being caught up in something like this with 2 small children is worrying. We would still like to go to orlando but other times of the year are really difficult, it opens up the taking kids out of school problem. Not just the length of time we want out there but the recovery time for young children when you get back. Mine need a good 3-4 days to get back into routine. I wouldn't want to send them to school a day after we return.
princess10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

We should have flown out last Saturday but we've rescheduled for Wednesday 13th (hoping things have settled enough on Orlando) so our holiday will be 10 days rather than 14.

Has it put us off? No. Florida is a tropical area therefore there is always the chance that the weather will be a challenge. And how many times has this happened on this scale? It's all about keeping things in proportion.

Deb

Edited at 11:17 AM.
grottyrotty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
cypress
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 43
Guidebook Reviews: 1
No, what it has done is confirmed that the way I booked each element of the holiday left me with enough flexibility to either cancel or reschedule. I booked my flight direct with VA and they were really good in rescheduling my flight from Sunday to this Thursday, and even said I could change again if I needed. I booked 2 hotels with Expedia which I cancelled and rebooked. Our stay at POFQ is booked for the 21 Sep (via Disney) so I didn't need to amend that.
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
elmspenguin
VIP Dibber

No it hasn't put us off, it was our first time visiting in mid to late August this year and will hopefully go back at the same time of year again as it's the only time we could do 3 weeks. We do prefer the weather at the end of October though.
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

We've been out there for 2 of the 4 occasions Disney has had to close the parks it hasn't put us off yet.
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post

You can't control the weather. We know roughly when hurricanes occur in that area so the choice to book at that time of year is entirely down to the individual and whether they are prepared to risk it. We'll be doing Route 66 next year at a time when twisters are rife in Ohio and Kansas but it hasn't put us off. If it happens, it happens and we just ensure we are safe.

Edited at 11:51 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

It hasn't put us off going, but we did have a talk about maybe going elsewhere next year if there had been catastrophic damage to villas, infrastructure etc as we're not just planning on going to Orlando, but we're going in June next year so hopefully by then things will be getting back to some kind of normality.